Reviews for Odds and Ends
AlsoKnownAsMatt chapter 10 . 8/16
I've read several of these and liked them. Too busy to adopt any but boy it would be great if someone would pick this last (no. 10) up as its got a lot of potential. Thanks loads for your hard work on all of these.
You are correct. Dumbledore made sure that Harry would never experience love. Probably even Rowling realized it before she inserted his two weeks with Ginny.

Nobody can really know what happened when Voldemort met the Potters, except maybe Voldemort. And many other people died to protect someone else, yet that never had this result.

Love can be a powerful motivation, but it is not a power in itself.
The Potters should have had a will, whether they were an old family or not. It's not just that the had a young child and the closest relation (Petunia) was not their primary choice. You can die from crossing the street at any time. But they lived in a time of war, where so many people died that they were afraid of Voldemort's name. They didn't just live in a war, they knew that Voldemort specifically targeted them. They should have made a will, and a long list of people to take care of Harry, because Sirius pretending to be secret keeper had a high risk of being killed, in addition to any number of other people who might be targeted for whatever reasons. For all they knew, half the people named in the will might be killed within the next month. The only explanation is that they were trusting enough to allow Dumbledore to decide what should happen or that he disregard the will.

Regarding the Horcrux, Dumbledore explicitly says that he would not remove the Horcrux (in the scar) even if he could. So this means that Dumbledore wants Harry dead. And it is consistent with his actions. He makes sure that Harry's life is so miserable that he will be willing to die, because being dead can't be worse than the life he had. Voldemort just wants Harry to die, but Dumbledore wants Harry to suffer so much that he would be willing to die.
You asked why some people don't like Ginny. There is nothing wrong with Ginny (in canon), except that Harry ends up with her.

We know about as much (or not much) about Ginny as we know about Susan Bones or Daphne Greengrass, or any of the other girls, and there are good stories about all of them, even about Harry and Ginny. Unfortunately, Rowling's story is not one of them. You say that the books are from Harry's point of view. That is true, but it means that Harry's interaction with Ginny either didn't happen, or it was not important enough for him to mention it in the book.

Stories about Harry and some random other girl have one advantage: They don't have to deal with canon events regarding Ginny.
Harry sees Ginny with some other boy, and suddenly he feels his "chest monster" (he probably watched Alien). This would be believable (although it could be described better) if he had a crush on her before, although there was no "chest monster" when Cho was with Cedric, he was just unhappy about it. Add that Molly tells Ginny it's perfectly fine to use a love potion to get a man, this leads to suspicion. This would be unknown to Harry, so it would be consistent not to mention it in the book.
The other point is what you quoted here in this chapter, "I knew you wouldn't be happy unless you were hunting Voldemort. Maybe that's why I like you so much." Ginny thinks that hunting Voldemort is what makes Harry happy. Not that Dumbledore left the whole mess to him and there is nobody else to do it. There is a difference between doing what you have to do, and doing what makes you happy, and I wouldn't call hunting Voldemort a hobby. And that is why she likes him. Not because he is good at Quiddich, because he has a nice smile, because she likes being in his arms, because thinking of him makes her wet. No, she doesn't like him because of him, she likes him because he is the Boy Who Lived. This is not just my opinion, this is directly from features/chapter-that-made-us-fall-in-love-with-ginny-weasley : "she doesn’t just like some boy, she likes The Boy Who Lived." For some reason sees this as positive. On the other hand, don't take relationship advice from Rowling.

Although, maybe whoever wrote at pottermore didn't read the books. It says that Ron valued friendship, not glory. (fourth year anyone?) It says that the seventh book makes us like Dumbledore more. I say the seventh book makes us realize that Dumbledore planned from the beginning that Harry should die. He's worse then Voldemort, and the prophecy might as well be about him. While Dumbledore didn't die from Harry's hand (unless Snape was Harry's hand), Voldemort didn't either. And most of the misery in Harry's life can be attributed to Dumbledore, not to Voldemort.
monbade chapter 10 . 7/2
this one would be a good story too
monbade chapter 7 . 7/2
oh i like this one. would live to see it turned into a story even if it only had 1 more chapter
MartinDeShade chapter 8 . 6/8
Instead of having a bond that happens spontaneously. You could have two muggle raised kids stating an oath.
stoopid dawg chapter 4 . 2/12
I would have liked to see a Harry/Padma pairing... Harry would do better with a smart girl than a fan girl... If he looks at Hermione as a sister (which I think he did in canon), Padma would be a good match who would bring out the best in Harry.
I think Neville would definitely go after Hermione. Remember, he asked her to the Yule Ball before Ron or Harry thought about in in canon, but after Viktor asked her. I saw more hints in the books that Hermione & Neville would become a couple over Hermione and Ron - especially after Lavender got involved with Won-Won.
Nytefyre chapter 10 . 12/28/2016
Wow. Sinister and completely hard to imagine the advantage or why Snape is so cooperative?

Thanks for writing and sharing.
Anon chapter 8 . 12/11/2016
Do you remember being 13 and 14 years old on any level?
Any at all?
It's a continual problem in all of these little idea's, but for some reason, it really stuck out here in this one.
Neither Harry nor Ginny are adults. They do not act like adults, nor should they. They! Are! CHILDREN!
What's more, you make it clear the they started acting like this when they were 11 and 12 respectively.
Children, even teenagers, do not act like that. They do not know how. They do not have the live experience necessary to make the calm, rational decisions you depict throughout this story. If nothing else, their brain chemistry hasn't even fully finished settling yet.
Some of the other reviewers talk about how Rowling sucks at romance when she's an adult, but somehow expect a 12 to 14 year old boy, and a 11 to 13 year old girl to somehow be EXPERTS!
Show me ONE 14 year old boy or 13 year old girl who's legal guardians shouldn't be arrested for sexual misconduct with minors who has a flipping clue about romance. JUST ONE!
They! Don't! Exist!
At least not if you're even slightly honest.

One of the things I loved in the books, plot-holes and all, was I could visualize someone I knew in real live in every single character, even Riddle unfortunately. Give them even have way dependable magic and the would be, for all intents and purposes, the HP characters.

And you should check out the story "Weres Harry" by Dobbyelflord for a MUCH better characterization of Dumbledore which does an incredibly good job of explaining his actions while keeping his character in canon.
He does a better job while keeping him canon then is done explaining his actions here in these stories changing his character to match poorly conceived, and even worse thought out, ideas.
GeorgeTobor chapter 9 . 12/6/2016
Harry and the wizarding world were doomed.
Until JKR pulled the deux ex machina call MASTER OF DEATH.
Guest chapter 9 . 10/31/2016
It's nice to see a Harry who doesn't react with violence in this situation and instead tears Dumbledore's arguments apart. The other question is whether he would really do that as a fifteen year old who just lost his godfather. And as Dumbledore made sure that Harry spent less time with Sirius than Ron did, it's not like he has reason for a real attachment to the person Sirius. It's more that Sirius was his possibility to get away from the Dursleys, and that is what he lost.

In a way, Dumbledore wanted Harry raised exactly so that he would consider his life so bad and worthless that he would be willing to die. Death can't be worse than what his life has been? Insofar this is exactly what Dumbledore wanted.
The question therefor is, will Harry find a reason not to follow Dumbledore's plan and instead want to live?
Guest chapter 8 . 10/31/2016
It's just one of Rowling's many plot holes, but if it is so easy to bind people unwillingly to magical contracts, just enter Riddle's name into the goblet. Then either tell him and catch him when he comes, or don't tell him and wait till his magic is lost.

Another point that is ignored in canon, and is explicit in stories like these is whether the hostages are asked for permission. The champions have supposedly volunteered and accepted the danger, but the hostages have not. Would Dumbledore be prepared to take an unbreakable vow that there will be no permanent damage to the hostages, for whatever reason? If there is no danger for the hostages, there would be no danger to take to vow, but it is most likely he would refuse.
Guest chapter 7 . 10/31/2016
Dumbledore explicitly said he would not remove Harry's scar, even if he could. That was right before he placed him on the doorstep, in November.

I also agree with your arguments about a will. It's reasonable to have a will if they have a child. Even more so in time of war, and especially as they know Voldemort is after them. It's also reasonable to assume the will specified multiple guardians, because as mentioned it was a time of war, so anybody named might be dead by the time the will is read. And it makes sense to name alternatives to Sirius because he pretended to be the secret keeper and was therefor at even higher risk.

It is also highly likely that Dumbledore caused Sirius to be sent to Azkaban because Sirius would not have allowed Harry to be sent to the Dursleys, and that was an important point of Dumbledore's plan.

In summary, I think Dumbledore is one of the worst leaders that happened to the magical community. Hagrid says Dumbledore is the best Headmaster of Hogwart. That would imply all others were even worse.

They should trash Dumbledore's reputation, and make sure he never again hurts someone.
Darth-Vulturnus chapter 10 . 8/14/2016
Late to the party, but I'll add this. I have no problem with Dumbledore being evil, that's what ACI is for after all. I do, however, take issue with him being this blatantly heavy-handed about it. I feel like that's Tom Riddle's thing, and Dumbledore has had far more years to perfect subtlety.

And say what you want about the magical compatibility thing being inspired by blood types, I still think it sounds suspiciously like NTR bait.