Reviews for Odds and Ends
Poet Wroet chapter 7 . 12/31/2012
I'm pretty sure you'd like the story "A Different Halloween". In it Lily and Harry are not home when Voldemort comes calling; James escapes. They leave trouble in their wake, of course; lots and lots of trouble, for Dumbledore mostly, who is forced to flee.
Sibling Creature chapter 4 . 12/1/2012
Hrm... this is the first Harry/Padma scene I've read outside of a Harry/Harem context. There's not really enough of it here to make an evaluation. It doesn't really feel quite right, but that could just be my bias towards H/G. I'm not sure I would like the pairing on its own... I might have to read a complete H/P story to see if it could work for me.

The notes did trigger an interesting thought though:

It occurs to me that if Harry wasn't outside when the Dementors were sent, that Dudley would have been kissed coming home from whatever it was he had been doing that day. (witnessed by Mrs Figg) The flow-on effects *that* would have could be interesting to explore.

- SC
major wallace chapter 7 . 8/29/2012
Nice
Rexnos chapter 5 . 7/16/2012
Ya know, I can tolerate computers and electronics not working in a magical setting, but I don't see any reasons why guns and simple explosives wouldn't work fine. Most guns don't actually require any electronics whatsoever. If there are any they're in the form of scopes, laser sights, and other miscellaneous improvements for improving accuracy or efficiency. The raw mechanics are a hammer, a bullet, gunpowder and a barrel. Exactly how would magic effect that in the slightest?

Explosives are a little iffier, but I'm fairly certain that most varieties of grenade would be a safe bet. I'm not very familiar with the fine print, but most grenades boil down to a container with a fuse and an explosive. Last I checked, fire still burned while around magic, so nothing would effect a grenade.

As for shielding against weapons, I suppose it depends on how magical shields actually work. If there is some limit to the amount of physical force a shield can withstand, I'd gladly take a gun over a wand in combat. Unless Rowling has been really understating the power of blasting spells on a miss, a bullet delivers a significantly greater amount of force at a location than any spell could. Let's not even get started on explosives.

I guess it really comes down to the rules of magic, which are remarkably vague in canon. I've seen several varieties of this story in fanon attempt to address guns in a realistic manner, but an alarming number of them were excuses to blow Voldemort's head of with a .50 cal, desert eagle, or other exceedingly powerful weapon. While these stories can be amusing at the least, I don't think too many stories have given Voldemort an ice cube's chance in hell when confronted with an assault weapon. Also, the number of times I've heard "the power he knows not is obviously gunpowder, muggle technology, superior firepower, etc." kinda kills any interest I might have had in such stories.

That said, a story where Voldemort CAN fight against guns would be remarkably more interesting. Maybe there's a particular shield which is alarmingly effective against physical force and capable of being cast by a first year. Perhaps it was developed by wizards in the medieval era in response to the violence and hostility against magic in the time frame. It may have fallen out of favor in the present, but Voldemort's research into magic dredged the spell back up, allowing him to easily counter Harry's .50 cal and telescopic sight, much to his dismay.

Anyway, an amusing idea, but it's really been done to death. I favor guns and explosives more as a quick way of dealing with Voldemort while Harry worries more about attempting to drag the wizarding world into the present kicking and screaming. Guns don't work too well against obstinate politicians and a stagnant political structure... Well at least not in the philosophical sense. They still pop heads like melons.

Later,
Rex
Ralyn Longs chapter 7 . 7/10/2012
I liked the last one best, some others were a bit bland in comparison to your usual fare but still interesting enough to leaf through. Thanks for sharing these!
Rosa Mundi chapter 7 . 6/24/2012
Chapter 7 - James and Lily live. This one also stands quite nicely as a one-shot.
Rosa Mundi chapter 6 . 6/24/2012
This one seems like a perfectly good one-shot as it is (chapter 6, where Harry & Hermione & family move to Australia).
Rosa Mundi chapter 5 . 6/24/2012
Susan Bones, muggle weapons, works for me. It doesn't seem to need a lot of expanding, really.
Rosa Mundi chapter 4 . 6/24/2012
Harry and the Patil twins. Squee! That was adorable and I love it. I like your notes at the ends of all of these too. I wish I had the self-confidence to ask to adopt this, but I'd feel even more guilty about procrastinating over someone else's story idea than I already do about my own.
Rosa Mundi chapter 2 . 6/24/2012
Harry adopted by the Creevys is an interesting concept. I'll have to go check out if your volunteer has started yet.
Smargden chapter 7 . 2/26/2012
Thenk's for this good storystart, I can see more of it,

/Smargden
Katzztar chapter 2 . 11/22/2011
IF Harry grew up with the Creeveys with 2 younger brothers and knowing how he was left at the doorstop of PRivit Dr overnight, then I'd thik he would be very loyal to his adoptive family so I'd think he'd be in Hufflepuff, and not so trusting of Dumbledore (he did leave Harry on the doorstep and left a letter instead of handing him over and tell Petunia in person) so not be in Gryffindor.
ObsessedWithHPFanFic chapter 7 . 10/23/2011
Good short stories and thanks for sharing!
avalonchick5 chapter 7 . 8/27/2011
Hey kb0!

I think I liked the last one the best, but they were all very interesting.

Love,

Avalon
lord Martiya chapter 5 . 5/31/2011
Just a little thing: ALL the technologies you mentioned use NO electronics. Well, maybe some modern landmines, but machine guns are completely mechanical unless you fit them with a night scope or you add a remote control. And the best part? The current heavy machine gun of the British Army is the 1933 upgrade of a 1920 weapon.
306 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 .. Last Next »