Reviews for Odds and Ends
Slytherin66 chapter 9 . 9/6/2014
This was very good.

I liked what Harry said to Albus. A good line "your example shows that you don't care about the students and you don't care about me either"

A good point about Harry's subject choices some guidance would have been helpful.

I agree Harry never knew love in the books and had very little to fight and live for once Sirius was gone and if Harry did kill Riddle he would still have to deal with his followers, the Ministry and maybe the Goblins. Being sent to Azkaban would be a major concern as well given the justice system in the magical world.

I think Harry's reputation was tarnished in second year and it never really recovered I don't think he would forget that.

Magical UK left fighting and winning a war to Harry and that is unfair and a really big ask I think they are doomed regardless.

It would be interesting to see if Dumbledore could salvage his plans or if he would have to admit he made a big mistake and have to fight Riddle and deal with the Horcrux on his own.

Thanks for this I look forward to what you post next.
khagler chapter 9 . 9/6/2014
It's an amusing rant, but I seriously doubt Dumbledore would be at all upset to hear it, given Harry's conclusion that "I see no reason not to let him kill me." After all, in canon Dumbledore's ridiculously overcomplicated plan to beat Voldemort depends on Harry doing just that.
Shannon Dee chapter 9 . 9/6/2014
Much more realistic than what JKR wrote. Personally I believe she should have never tried to change her stories made for children into ADULT drama.
PSay chapter 9 . 9/6/2014
This makes sense. It is sad and I'm glad the books gave Harry a chance to live. Thanks for another view of what might have been. I look forward to more of your thoughts. pms
Philosophize chapter 9 . 9/6/2014
The bit about "ignorant of the Wizarding world" should, I think, be more significant than most fanfiction writers allow.

The idea that Harry is supposed to win because of love despite being raised without any love is important and has been addressed quite often. It's the biggest plot hole imaginable, but that hole gives writers a lot of space to work with a Dumbledore who isn't nearly so good as he is supposed to be. One almost has to wonder if that isn't deliberate - there are so many hints and bits that only make sense if Dumbledore is gray, dark, or senile that it's hard to imagine that JKR missed it all.

Anyway, back to Harry's ignorance. Because of Dumbledore, Harry has no *roots* in Wizarding Britain. He should have no emotional connection or ties to it. No extended family to tie him to various communities. No living family to tie his own history to the history of the community. Almost all of his time in Wizarding Britain is spent in a school where he is, on alternate years, treated as a pariah. During the "good" years, he's subjected to stares and other things that make him uncomfortable. He's spent a few days in Diagon Alley and a couple of weeks with a single magical family. That's it.

That's not enough to create strong ties or roots. Because of this, the fate of Wizarding Britain shouldn't be any more important to him than the fate of Wizarding Japan. Or Muggle Kenya.

There were quite a few wars in the world while Harry was at Hogwarts. Take the Bosnian war as an example, since it was relatively close. I'll bet even a half-trained wizard like him could have helped. But no one asked. No one acted like they expected him to go and help save people. Why not? Because the Bosnians weren't "his people" - they were strangers to him. That sounds callous, but it's true.

Well, in what way were British wizards and witches "his people"? He had no strong personal connections to their culture, history, or much of anything else. Even his schooling (the only half-way positive institutional connection) wasn't much more than one would have as a foreign exchange student. All his other institutional interactions were bad (media, government). He shared a language, but even then there should be differences between how muggles and magicals use English (because of the long separation, much like there are differences between British and American English). He should, on a very visceral level, feel like an outsider.

Harry has a strong personal connection to his friends, but that's about it - and as you note, he only as a couple of them anyway. He would be very upset if his friends suffer or die, but he shouldn't be much more upset at the fall of British magical society than he would be at the fall of Japanese magical society or at muggle Bosnia tearing itself apart. He should feel no particular obligation to even participate in fighting, much less carry the primary burden of victory. I've studied abroad in two different countries and ended up feeling relatively at home in both, but if they had descended into civil war I wouldn't have stuck around to fight for one side or the other.

The fact that Harry was raised in an abusive home means that he shouldn't even feel very connected to muggle British society. He hasn't traveled, so he hasn't experienced the sights and history of the nation. British institutions have obviously failed him, otherwise he'd have been removed, so their fate shouldn't matter much to him. The people he knew ignored him, abetted in his situation, and/or believed the lies about him. Dumbledore is responsible for this as well and no one in magical British society ever tried to do anything to even check up on their "savior," much less help him (thus giving him another reason to not feel very connected to them).

So even without the "love" aspect, we have a perfect reason for Harry to simply say "I don't care, not my problem, I'm leaving." Put simply, the reason is: "I don't feel like a genuine member of this society because I have no personal roots here and feel no connection to its culture, history, or institutions. So I'm leaving for some other society where I will still be an outsider, but which is safer because it's less bigoted and not about to tear itself apart in a civil war. Again."

It's not like the Dursleys would object to him emigrating. He can buy tickets to leave, tell his friends to get out (maybe slip them some funds to help if he can), and leave the fate of magical Britain to the magical people who feel like they are part of it and thus actually care about what happens to it. He will feel just as at home in North America or Australia.

And yes, you're welcome to use any of this if you want. I'm not a good enough fiction writer to use it myself, so a good writer should have the chance if they think it worth it.
ObsessedWithHPFanFic chapter 9 . 9/6/2014
Great short one shot. I agree that the Harry portrayed in Canon was a happy go lucky boy that only got a bit darker as the series went by. I could see Harry saying those things in your story and Albus having to do a great deal of repair work for Harry. Thanks for sharing!
alix33 chapter 9 . 9/6/2014
LOVED every syllable of Harry's rant at Dumbles, the reducto-ing of Dumbles' door AND Harry's laughter.
n4zhg chapter 2 . 8/27/2014
One item of interest: There are documented cases, one example in my own family, where a couple has tried for years to have a baby, give up and adopt, and the woman gets pregnant after.
M2J MandalorianJedi chapter 6 . 8/25/2014
Something I noticed here that I didn't the other times I read this... Did you know that no self-respecting Austrailian actually drinks Fosters. You'd get laughed out of a bar if you tried to order one.

I learned that from a bus driver when I spent a week in Perth a few years back. You should hear some of the things Austrailians say about it. Needless to say Fosters in NOT Austrailian for beer.
Gioia chapter 7 . 8/17/2014
I loved this idea in particular. I like the way you handled the curse scar, with Lily's success based not on great genius or magical prowess, but on early intervention. Thank you for sharing this!
jamnaz79 chapter 4 . 7/19/2014
I love the patil sisters idea. I always wanted to read a story with Harry and one of them. This is a wonderful concept.
thunder18 chapter 8 . 7/7/2014
Great chapter Update soon
yrfgd chapter 4 . 2/28/2014
I like the scenario that you've outlined. It would be nice to see it expanded onto a story. I particularly like Harry/OFC stories that aren't Ginny or Hermione.
DukeBrymin chapter 8 . 1/18/2014
Finally got around to reviewing this-fabulously interesting premise. I think it works really well as a stand-alone. Incorporating it into a story would kind of take away from the novelty of the idea, which would be fine, of course, but I like it as it is.

Thanks!
Kairan1979 chapter 8 . 1/14/2014
It's always nice to see Dumbledore's schemes backfiring on him.
361 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »