Reviews for Odds and Ends
azphxbrd chapter 10 . 1/28
This has a good plot for a powerful wizarrd for taking over the world. I can think of many reasons AD has to control the world's futer students and next generations of people of power.
Ironsct chapter 10 . 1/28
Its all about control for Dumbledore. Imagine you have a school where the majority of your population goes through, and you literally have control over what they learn and how they learn it, but you aren't satisfied with only shaping their thoughts, but their future offspring!
What if as they cross the lake, each new student is check for their compatibility and power levels? Then, with the aid of a fake hat (the real one only managing to slip away once to give Harry the sword) he stacks the deck. Forcing matched pairs together or keeping matched pairs apart depending on how his calculations for the perfect future predict.
Even today countries run Eugenics Programs (hiding it as free care), so why not Dumbledore running such a program. Add Snape, who could brew love potions or potions to cause the opposite, and goes through everyone's mind to check on his true master's progress. (Snape could even be one of Albus's experiment. An Alpha Series, just like Voldemort and the rest of the Death Eaters, but the only one to stay accept the indoctrination)

Thank you for letting us read your work and I can't wait to read more of it.

dennisud chapter 10 . 1/27
Damn great start! Too bad you aren't continuing this one! This would have been a dramatic and a spine tingling saga!

Firemane chapter 10 . 1/27
This is a really good start. Wish I could write. Hope someone picks it up
bleeb90 chapter 10 . 1/27
Oh my God, you're a very mean person! You had me on the tip of my chair with your story, and then, when Amelia has to save the day to move against Dumbledore - suddenly it's the end of the chapter of an Odds and Ends file with the notion that it probably won't become a complete story! Or, in one sentence: I loved it.
hawkswench chapter 10 . 1/27
Aw man this was soooo good!
alix33 chapter 10 . 1/27
I had to Google "thinko".
I would adore Hermione's explanations down to the last detail if I were ever subjected to them, as I am prone to similar explanations myself (I no longer talk at all to the members of my family who objected out loud to the length and detail of my explanations).
"To their good fortune" - "By their good fortune".
I now want to twist off Dumbles's prick and bollocks, but he's so freaking twisted, he would probably enjoy my doing that.
Yay! for Harry swiftly breaking down Hermione's (IMO severely misguided) respect for the authority of Dumbles.
And yay! for Harry not having any respect for the authority of Dumbles (as his comparing Dumbles with Lockhart and Vernon Dursley IMO proves).
"turnout" is one word, in the context that you used the phrase.
"My name is Victoria".
"beyond the egg's protective cover".
Yay! for Arthur Weasley being more powerful magically than his wife (or that is what I inferred). If she were magically the more powerful one, combined with her near utter lack of brains, Merlin help magical Britain!
"a man who's score" - "man whose score".
Yay! for Healer Fettle being so amenable to supplying Hermione with information.
Yay! for Luna wanting to know the nature of secrets other (more powerful and probably manipulative) people might have of or about her.
"No exactly" - "Not exactly".
"the strong it will get" - "the stronger it will get".
I now want (even more, after all the group waiting for Harry and Harry himself were obliviated) to twist off both Snape's and Dumbles's respective prick and bollocks, but they're so freaking twisted, they would probably both enjoy my doing that.
Bless Fran.
And bless Dobby.
N Flamel chapter 10 . 1/27
Kevin, This 'tease' shows how popular you are. Unless someone gets a review in before mine, this will be the twenty-fourth review of a chapter/odds and ends that is less than a day old! I hope you feel good about that. On to the story:

Your Dumbledore is pure evil and well written. The only nitpick I have is that he should have Obliviated the masses before they got their ratings. Of course, then there's no story. Unfortunately, there are lots of reasons why the Manipulator would do this. One, he doesn't care about the individual except for what the individual can do for him, for his self-serving Greater Good. That's how a supposed educator can Obliviate dozens of students without a second thought. His plans are more important to him than the students entrusted to him.

Second, he wants to keep the status quo/pureblood domination. What half- or pureblood is going to get very far into a relationship with an unrated muggleborn? Further the talented (Hermione) or powerful (Harry) would be manipulated to end up with the partner Albus thought best, which leads us to #3, Molly is in Albus's back pocket and gave Ginny the numbers that would match with Harry, so they would be compatible. Harry probably had already taken the tests and they became the basis for DD's manipulations in this case. And an Obliviation for Harry.

#4 - DD is scared to death about Harry's power and compatibility (three houses!), so he makes plans to sacrifice Harry (grew up with the Dursleys, horrible DADA profs and a block on his power) and to make double sure directs him toward Ginny Weasley who is not compatible at all, leading to squibs, if he somehow failed in sacrificing himself.

#5 - Lastly, we have the power index where too many muggleborns would have greater magical power than the highly inbred purebloods. Can't have that in the false world Albus lives in.

Of course, the happy ending would be a strong Amelia nailing Albus, the muggleborns finding out how deep the conspiracy is against them, they decide to 'out' the magical/pureblood society to approximate the US (in fanon), and everyone lives happily everafter, except for Albus (who is dead and buried in an unmarked pauper's grave to protect against likely desecration) and most of the purebloods. And that leads to Amelia, Harry or Hemione saying, 'Finally, something is really done for the Greater Good!' The End!

Would have loved to see whatever story you came up with, but I understand some ideas carry through to completion and others are just nice thoughts. This one was very stimulating and carried a lot of potential. Please let us know if someone picks it up. Best, N Flamel/Nicolas
Brennus chapter 10 . 1/27
Harry is a 'sport'? A magical power index that has been hidden from him? This story sounds like a rip-off of Darth Marrs 'Unspeakable Things'.
ObsessedWithHPFanFic chapter 10 . 1/27
Interesting story line and a bit scary to think it could happen. Thanks for sharing!
Kairan1979 chapter 10 . 1/27
I'm a bit disappointed the story wasn't continued.
Tomon chapter 10 . 1/27
It's of course it's a danger of this category and should be expected but really... to end this story at this point? :-D But okay okay, thanks for sharing :) Nice idea even if I'm not big sell on searching for your partner based on magical compatiblity. It's sort of tamed here in this story so not a big deal.
I'm quite curious about Molly telling her daughter a bad result. Was it really just too early and she didn't know that so only a mistake? Or was there something more? Of course there are more question but this one stand out since the rest... that the story would be for :)
sh777 chapter 10 . 1/27
Sigh, so wanted this to continue. Do you post anywhere if your snippets get adopted?
BJH chapter 10 . 1/27
B- here and I do.

I can think of two possible motivations for Dumbledore: One; to conceal Harry's power level especially if he also put the block on his magic. A weak Harry is easier to kill and in canon it was always Dumbledore's primary objective to see Harry get killed by Voldemort. The second; concealing his compatibility may be linked to Molly's error with the young Ginny. We can adopt the old Albus gets Molly to assist in controling Harry in exchange for marrying Harry and Ginny. Any long term incompatibility is moot since harry is going to die.

What would be amusing would be to have the block be done by Harry's parents because of his out-of-control magic as a baby, no one knowing it, except maybe Sirius. Albus seeing the results of Poppy's rating, which is very low due to the block that no one knows about, then Harry's fights with Voldemort eroding the block and allowing Harry's true power to show. Dumbledore plans to sacrifice magicly weak Harry because he thinks Harry could never defeat Voldemort, but with Amelia, Frettle (BTW is there a reason for the unusual name?) and a couple others guiding Harry, Albus is dethroned and Voldemort overcome.

HeWhoComesWithTheDawn chapter 10 . 1/27
Interesting story idea. This was a enjoyable read. Thank you for posting.
291 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »