Reviews for A Pokemon Mary Sue Litmus Test
MarinaTheJolteonMaster chapter 7 . 11/16/2014
So, my character has a Shiny Dragonair that does not want to evolve. I put that down as a shiny legendary because Dratini, especially in the Anime universe (where her story would take place) is supposed to be super ultra rare, like, only gym leaders and elite four members have one, and my character would be the same age as Ash (which means either 12 or 15 years old, haven't decided yet). I was just wondering how much age and whether the Pokemon is fully evolved matters? I figured that age/experience would matter but I'm not so sure about the evolution part. On one hand, having an unevolved Pokemon de-sues the power of her team a bit, but on the other hand, I'm wondering about the characterization and plot aspects, especially the part about the Dragonair not wanting to evolve (btw It's a male, and it's not gay, and I'm sure you can guess part of the reason shiny Dragonair does not want to evolve).

Also, how about Psychic types that can actually use psychic abilities like Alakazam? Also what about that Psychic connection that trainers can develop with their psychic type Pokemon?
EyesofInk chapter 10 . 6/14/2014
Well, my original character Cyan scored a hefty five points. How dreadful!
Haha, I'm kidding, I'm glad she isn't anywhere near Sue Territory. Guess this means writing my fanfiction about her adventures as a breeder are a-okay!
Loved the test, I hope to see more from you!
-Director Inkblot
Hellhound2608 chapter 10 . 10/23/2013
This is awesome! O_o Thank you so much for creating a Pokemon Mary Sue Litmus test! I was nervous throughout the test since it's my first time creating a trainer for a story! XD Hahaha
Grossmeme chapter 10 . 8/24/2013
My character in my first fanfiction i'm working on, Gray/Grey got 7 points. That score might change as she gets some character development, but I dunno.
Moonless Dusk chapter 2 . 7/2/2013
Nice, Star scored a 4
Neofanatic chapter 10 . 5/3/2013
-too lazy to log in-
-deep breath- Lizzie only scored 9! At first I was a little freaked because my story had to do with battling Arceus and stuff like that, but 9? Wow, that's good! Now for the other two characters.
Guest chapter 10 . 2/4/2013
I didn't sign into my account. My story is about a stantler villian (2 points) who is a new dungeon owner. The story uses all OCs besides the stantler. To succeed in beating him you need to not be a mary-sue, be skilled, and be genre-savvy. Nobody has succeeded yet.
MASO chapter 9 . 1/18/2013
Haha, looks like my OC isn't a Mary-Sue since I only scored a 5.
I would've had even less points if it wasn't for the fact that it's a self-insert -
meaning, the character looks like me and has my nickname.
Apparently, not all self-inserts have to be Mary-Sues. (I for sure am not a Mary Sue.)

Anyway, I liked the test.
M.A.C chapter 10 . 11/12/2012
I got a four for my character Claus. I would of gotten lower if just being a villian didnt score you two points.
Claus chapter 10 . 11/7/2012
-3, I usually get lower in most tests. I was trying a charater who was disgusted by the form of government and decided that he should become the a member of the rebellion. So, now after some training (not much) he is sent off in hopes of beating the government at their own game and becoming the champion!
Karenin-Akbash-07 chapter 10 . 9/18/2012
I have a trainer Oc (Who I use more for fun, to train writing skills when I am bored) who is supposed to be a Glitch trainer. That is, named Zaz, lots of useless glitch pokemon on her party, lots of are candy and all the things associated with glitchs. I guess this case, where your trainer is a Glitch trainer, would make them having a Mew pretty plausible, after all, some Glitch pokemon are only acessible through the Mew Glitch :) And the shiny pokemon should have an exception, the invisibe shiny bulbasaur! The only 100% Useless pokemon, whose only use is to use struggle and make you faint...
Also, why would staring your pokemon journey being different than ten add points? O.o Younger, yes, that should add points, but not older XD We don't have many 40 year old Trainer Oc's around, do we? XD And the staring pokemon stuff doesn't convinces me...As long as there is a plausible explanation, any pokemon could be your starter (Like, a parent of the trainer was a trainer him/herself and gave a pokemon to help the Oc to start their adventure or something like that)
Saffron031 chapter 10 . 8/14/2012
I guess my OC isn't a Mary Sue, after all. Thanks. At first, I freaked out when I realised that she might be a Mary Sue because her starter was a Dratini.
Acolyte of the Quill chapter 10 . 7/8/2012
Okay, first off I just have to say that I think this test is a really good way to determine Mary-Sue-ishness. For the people who said it wasn't a good test, it might not be as perfectly exact as you may have hoped, but it really should give a general idea of whether or not you character is too cliche. (Note to the author: I would change the name to cliche instead of Mary Sue.) I also need to mention I'm glad I can add a few traits here or there, since I only got a four in total. (Maybe I'll make her a Pokemorph with shiny Mew, shiny Arceus and shiny Ho-oh, Lugia and Mewtwo. The Ash will be her long lost twin brother who's also a Poemorph, and then they'll also have random magical powers connected to special glowing insignias on their arms. And she'll be an amazing model/artist/chef/fashion designer/coordinator/league champion, and her eyes and hair will change color to match her emotions. Then she and Ash will fall in love because they don't know they're twins, and she'll nurse him back to health after Ash and the admin of the evil people get into a fight over her. Then when they go home eventually, Ash and her will find out their missing dad is super rich, and he's good friends with all the gym leaders and the elite four.) Okay, sorry I got a little carried away on my random rant but you get my point. (Btw, I read a story like that once, but I would never do that to my character.)

Other things to mention, first of all, starting at a different age is okay by me, as long as they have a feasible explanation for it. Ex. The trainer age is now older because some poor ten year old got into an accident on their journey and a concerned parents group complained. Also, I would add that unless, a) The author is Japanese, b) Most people in the story have Japanese names, c) The story is in Japanese or d) The character is from Japan, having your trainer's name be Japanese should definitely count as cliche. It would be one thing if only one or two people did it, but I get so sick of reading nine-hundred and -ninety-nine-billion Japanese named characters.
FruitlessFruit chapter 10 . 5/18/2012
I laughed out loud with the "over 100 points" thing. SUE ALERT xD

Anyways, it is a decent test, but nothing can beat the trained eye. A good reviewer spots a 'Sue a mile away. It is a decent guide. However, I think that being under 10 points on this test is a bad thing. At that point you're getting dull.
yiranY chapter 1 . 5/5/2012
Unfortunately, this test is very inaccurate.

I'm sure you put a lot of effort into it, but it doesn't seem it is a good test for Mary Sue.

For instance, having the main character as someone with a special name does not make him/her more of a "Mary Sue". Neither does him/her being special. I didn't finish the entire thing, but I found several places where I absolutely do not agree, such as anything to do with "Twilight". Now, I'm not a fan of the book, but that's just being critical towards Twilight. That doesn't have much to do with being a Mary Sue.

Anyway, yes, "Mary Sue" is subjective. But the general agreement is that a Mary Sue is a character without distinct flaws. Being an author avatar does not change this. For instance, many people consider Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter a Mary Sue, but the rest of the 2 trios are well received. Harry is pretty grumpy, Hermione expresses disdain towards Harry using the potion book, Ron is a bit dense as well as grumpy, Neville is very timid (at the start), and Luna is... unique. But Ginny doesn't have a special name, Ginny doesn't have a weird twin, Ginny's hair is normal, Ginny has no mysterious origins, Ginny has a normal family, Ginny is basically a normal person in the universe. The fandom just doesn't like her because everyone in the universe likes her (except for Draco and stuff, but that's another thing altogether), and she has no distinct flaws. Harry himself seems to be a Mary Sue, having a fairly unique eye colour, a lightning scar, a prophecy regarding him, is surprisingly good at Quidditch even though he'd never been on a broom, and basically what you'd expect a Mary Sue to be. But no, people like him, because he has his flaws, and is a realistic character.

It's literature and not fanfiction, but they are close enough to be compared to. Although I do agree with them being a Mary Sue if they have close association with canon characters.

(Yes, I'm aware the official "Mary Sue Litmus Test" is quite similar to yours, but I don't agree with that test either. Viewing your characters as objects makes them not a Mary Sue? Hell no.)

So I hope I didn't go too critical, but I just dislike Mary Sue tests in general, because it's not something you just classify using numbers, like pieces of art or music. Have a nice day.