Reviews for Tyrant
Debate4life chapter 5 . 5/20/2012
This is superbly written. I cannot overstate how pleasantly surprised I am by this fic. You've carved unique roles for characters, keeping them true to themselves without making the mistake of not allowing environmental factors to change them. I need to go- I have to go visit family- but I will alert this and review again in more detail at a future date.
deus chapter 5 . 5/13/2012
All your stories are good. I am captivated by each, but you have one flaw, ONE BIG FLAW, most of your stories are not finished. They are left abandoned. I don't know if I should feel happy or feel cheated to read such a good stories but feel left out.
Akira Stridder chapter 5 . 3/21/2012
woow this is just incredible! man hopefully you find it in your heart to continue this!
bakapervert chapter 5 . 2/27/2012
Great story. Absolutely brilliant, all with the plitic and the twist.
Nalya chapter 5 . 2/14/2012
Merci
phoenixphlight chapter 5 . 2/9/2012
Oh my gosh. Brilliant. I loved the blend of political and military strategy. I feel like I'm peeking in on the drama. Every chapter could be its own fic. Good job!
SinisterMeds chapter 5 . 12/31/2011
is this story abandoned? i hope not, it is really great :)
black-hurt17 chapter 5 . 12/22/2011
i do wish yoou'd update 's marvelous to read a story of physical war vs philosophy and since there's little romance , just a hint to keep it interesting
Herman O. Santejos chapter 5 . 12/1/2011
Very well-imagined work here. Your characterization flows seamlessly from canon characterization (given the changes), and you weave it marvelously into a retelling of the fall of the Roman Republic. The dialogue, though a bit stilted at times, is realistic enough and conveys the plot well.

Now for a few criticisms. As with George R. R. Martin's drawing upon the Wars of the Roses for inspiration in writing "A Song of Ice and Fire," real history can provide an excellent starting point for many a fantasy epic's plotline. But that's just it - a starting point. Instead of shoehorning the plot into a late Republican framework, try to use history as a broad outline and let the politics and battles emerge naturally from the setting.

Yes, it takes a bit more work to extrapolate out the magic and society, but it is well worth it. It's that sort of work that makes the difference between studying history and understanding it. And it's that sort of work that separates the shallowest fanfiction from the deepest masterpiece. You clearly have the mind and writing chops for such a project. Now go and do it.
lazyguy90 chapter 5 . 11/8/2011
Discovered your story when it was mentioned by the Marquis Black. Wonderfully done on this. It truly is a fantastic story. I can't wait for Sirius' equivalent of the Ides of March, as well as the subsequent rise of Harry as first Emperor.

I only have one gripe though and it is really is just a very minor one. You use "ne?" to end sentences sometimes. I get why you do it, but really? This isn't a damn anime. Use "hmm" or something.

Anyway I hope you can update this again soon. Keep up the magnificent work.
InstigateInsanity chapter 5 . 10/14/2011
With this story, you, sir, have become one of my favourite fanfiction authors. The scope of your work is unbelievable - You've covered the better part of twenty years in just five chapters, and despite the occasionally massive time leaps between scenes you managed to do so in a way that was both elegant and believable.

Sirius' transformation from prankster teenager to dictatorial leader, beloved by the common people and loathed by those in power, is wonderful. What's more, to a degree it still fits his original persona - canon paints Sirius as a man with a rigid moral code, counterbalanced by a certain measure of ruthlessness and subtle cruelty (as displayed in the times we see him fight, as well as his willingness to kill those he sees as evil). Despite the horrible decisions he is forced to make in this story, he never loses sight of what he is fighting for, and as such retains both his honour and his integrity (in my eyes, at least). He's not entirely blameless, but he's doing the best he can with what he's been given - and with what he can take.

The relationships between your characters, and how they change and mutate, is fascinating. Sirius and Dumbledore's interactions are particularly fun to read.

My one criticism is the lack of line breaks, which can occasionally be quite jarring (that said, Fanfiction dot Net has a habit of eating line breaks, which I've been the victim of in the past, so I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt).

I can't wait for the next update. I'm off to read more of your work.

InstigateInsanity
scion.of.morbidity chapter 5 . 10/2/2011
You haven't updated in a while, but can I just say... Wow. This is bloody spectacular. If you read this, please continue writing. The politics of it all, as well as sirius' character are both done superbly well.

My only real problem is that there are no breaks between parts of the story which is disconcerting to read.

Please write more!

Claire.
Forever Rahhel chapter 5 . 9/5/2011
I liked the story a lot. Harry's characterization seemed really interesting as he really stands out in this world as a scholar who does not join the war efforts of his godfather. The Dumbledore interaction was also well done and didn't adhere to those usual clich├ęs.

Somehow it was rather odd and refreshing to see magic playing a backseat. Normally you see a lot spellcasting in fanfics, which is rather annoying and becomes pointless. Obviously this was done due to you having problems writing actions scenes in such a manner. The Voldemort fight was rather lacking.

I'm further surprised that the Dread King didn't play a bigger role then again that might have been a plotpoint for later. I assume the same goes for the Harry/Ginny interaction as those seemed rather shoehorned in and didn't add anything to Harry's characterization except for being a stupid teen for once in this story. You could have gotten the same effect with Tonks and used the sister angle, which would have added another more intricate layer to their relationship and the emotional turmoil Harry goes through.

I still don't get how the Draco Malfoy part happened. He grew up a Black his entire life and suddenly he changes. It seems like the Crouch incident was the turning point, but then there was the part when Sirius talked to him with the others when he recited Crouch's message to Sirius.

This chapter seems to be a good point to end this fic. The only real problems with doing so would be that you left out the explanation of Draco's turn to the enemy's side and the mess with Harry/Ginny that looks contrived.

Anyway, it was a nice read. Keep it up.
Anime-StarWars-fan-zach chapter 5 . 9/2/2011
I must say, this was a delight to read! I totally didn't see the ending coming. A shame it ended here, but I suppose all good things much come to an end.
e000 chapter 5 . 8/29/2011
Holy fucking shit. This is such an amazing story that I don't even know where to begin. I would just like to tell you that this work is thrilling, to say the least!

You haven't updated in over a year, so I don't have much hope...but puleease! Update!
199 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »