Reviews for These Unending Alchemies of Honour
Guest chapter 1 . 5/30/2013
Amazingly done! All the information you found and worked into the story was great! It would be awesome to see where they go from here *cough cough* But really, I love it and this def deserves more reviews!
wolfofsummerbreeze chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
I'm guessing Vaan is stronger because he's in the party/leveled higher. Penelo and Ashe are technically better mages stat wise, but Vaan certainly follows right on their heels. I figure he just has more levels, went on more hunts while the others took breaks. He seems energetic like that to me.

But what about Zeromus and Zodiark? I guess they didn't get them? Zeromus, maybe Baltheir? Penelo being a badass with Zodiark?

BTW, Love the idea of Noah with Chaos. Played FFTA2:GotR, so Vaan with a falchion was easy for me. (Playing fire emblem awakening right now, so for one moment I had him wielding the holy sword named Falchion... It was kinda hilarious.) I love Noah in general, I was so sad he died. I like Balthier and Vaan and Noah, so any combination is good. Also, I saw what you did with Exodus and Fran. I Played FFTA. However, my list of Espers on the players is a bit different:

Vaan: Mateus (after seeing Belius he would probably bug Ashe to get one, also FFTA Totema for humes, so Main Character Summon (Though I had Luso summon Hashmal while Adele had Mateus) and because Mateus couldn't corrupt Vaan), and Zodiark (I think of both of them in terms of the most potential (Egg) being realized)

Penelo: Shemhazai (Deadly, female, and she, like Penelo, seems to dance), and Cuchuliann (For Penelo is always a healer to me, and Cuchuliann was meant to cleanse the world, and she could heal anything he poisons)

Basch: Chaos (...), and Zalera (...)

Ashe: Belias (obviously), and Hashmal (also kind of Birthright and what she is trying to accomplish)

Balthier: Andrammelech (the thing that makes sky/freedom possible is electricity, also it, more than the others, truly flies), and Famfrit (Ffamran is so similar and it was his Dads, a last reminder)

Fran: Exodus (FFTA Totema Viera/Forests), Ultima (because if any of them need watching it's Ultima, and Fran sees through everyone, even Espers), and Zeromus (as one who, herself, chose to be a lawbreaker, perhaps she could change him and I think he would be intrigued by her)
Kitty-Chan UchiNaru no Miko chapter 1 . 10/13/2012
Excellently done!
kitkit11183 chapter 1 . 10/1/2012
(I found out my PSP does not like . That is, it would not let me send my review. :( Odd. This used to work before, but oh well. I'm on a computer now.)
Anyways, onto the praise.

Honestly, I've never thought of Vaan with Gabranth before and you managed to weave a rather believable story (in which the latter doesn't die, thank you so much for that) regarding those two. In the same setting. Without murdering each other. Well, not so much of that last part at first.

What I love most about this story is how well you developed these characters. I like how Vaan grew from a vengeful boy who only healed Gabranth because everyone else was so desperate to save him to someone who finally (not forgive, of course) accepted the fact that Gabranth killed Reks and moved on.

I know it's years after you wrote this/posted this and you'll be raising your eyebrows at this review buuuut, thank you so much for writing this fic. (Also, I recently acquired FFXII and a PS2 and let me just say your portrayal of Vaan convinced me to develop him as a rod-wielder. Magic, yes.)
pretzel-logic chapter 1 . 1/4/2012
I read this story ages ago and finally came searching for it again. I remember spotting this story, and not seeing word-length, thought it would be a quick read before bed. The next afternoon I picked up where I left before grumbling to my roommate 'I want to know how long this fic is but at the same time I REALLY don't want to lose my spot.' This story really is lovely and I appreciate the obvious work and time you put into it. The slow burn romance between Noah and Vaan was surprising and delightful. Far too many male/male stories focus on the pairing and sex. The theme of redemption, forgiveness, and making amends really appealed to me. I really enjoy your portrayal of the ff12 cast and how the story seems to flow. I think you have a great gift for story telling and I'm only sorry it took me this long to write you a review.
Snow Leopard Pasha chapter 1 . 8/3/2011
Honestly, this was really well-written-I don't see a lot of works that are this quality.

Just...I thought Larsa was closer to 15, but I might be wrong...Yes, he has 'adult moments'-a lot of them, admittedly, but he still didn't come across as a 12-year-old in the game's story line. Since I'm replaying it right now, that one kinda gets me a bit, but I don't think it's explicitly stated what age he is, either.

Either way, this was really well-done, and I'm glad I read it, just for all the obvious work you put into it. :D
yllom21 chapter 1 . 7/15/2011
Wow. This story is absolutely amazing. I love how you wrote Vaan! He is a brilliant character and I don't think he gets enough attention. I love how you mentioned his magic skills, I always thought he was a good mage, but he was never mentioned for it. Story wise, the plot is quite briliant. And the way you wrote Gabranth, Penelo, Larsa and Basch was brilliant as well. Excellent job!
Gamer4Life89 chapter 1 . 3/31/2011
So, I thought I have reviewed this story, but I never have. Shame on me! I'm playing FFXII again and decided to come back and read it p Anyways, every time I read this I fall in love with it again an again. I love the details and depth you've put into it! I simply cannot get enough of it! Also, Gabranth and Vaan are my favorite paring! So, yeah, just wanted to let you know I love it! I really wish i reviewed the first time I read it lol Anywho, great story! Wish there was more!
Raining Moon Song chapter 1 . 3/7/2011
This...this has to be the longest one-shot I've ever read, and a brilliant one at that. I absolutely loved it, and...I'm lost for words. You didn't rush into the pairing, you let it build up, and when Vaan kissed Gabranth I was so happy! I don't think many people could pull off this pairing so well!
SamBul chapter 1 . 1/29/2011
I'm feeling horribly horribly guilty about not doing this a long time ago but I just need to say that this is probably my favorite fanfiction of all time. I read this a few years ago and then went to go back to find it last year and then have been reading it repeatedly ever since.

I'm usually WAYYYYY too lazy to ever review a story, never mind logging in. But every time I think of a favorite fic this one is one of the first to pop up. So, when I read this the first time I was impressed, the second moreso and then the third time blew me away.

I've come to like Vaan/Gabranth because of this fic but I don't think it hit me until the 3 times I reread it. And it really felt like being hit by a freight train. Until the 3rd or so time I was just drinking in the details and world of this fic. The aftermath of Noah surviving and how it affected the lives of everyone in the story. And then I started noticing the distinct subtleties of the growing "romance" between them.

Everything about this fic screws with my mind every single time I read it. All the little details including the language, government, characterization you follow to a T. And it never ceases to amaze me. It makes me want to replay the game and hope to god almighty that the end would follow this realm's.

But again, sorry if this bothers/creeps you out at all to see a review raving about how I've been loving this fic for years (especially this one, which is excessively long), makes me feel like a creeper. Probably should have reviewed a LONG time ago but better late than never.

Know that I'll still probably rereading this fic for years to come as well, so thank you for writing such a great fic! o
Winged Golden Tiger chapter 1 . 11/13/2010
I can't understand why your fic have only fifteen reviews... It's incredibly well written and in it we have finally, finally Vaan be a major player! The poor guy is underestimated in most fics and even in canon! (even if he stopped Ashe becoming the big bad, he's still not really taken seriously by the others).

Thanksfully here he is important, badass and really help Gabranth! \0/

Thank you for this, this was awesome! 3 3

Winged Golden Tiger
Destiny Quill chapter 1 . 9/16/2010
How come this story has only 15 reviews? Are you sure you SquareEnix didn't pull the plot for FFXII from your head?

Wow.
Erexus chapter 1 . 7/6/2010
14 reviews is not nearly enough for this story. :(

I guess it is the fate of genius to languish in obscurity, but know that the people who truly love your stories appreciate what you do. This story practically feels canonical in style. Well done.
Trisana Kara chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
The sheer awesome of this story is indescribable. Brilliance. You nailed the characters, the politics, the emotions, the drive, a thousand itty bitty tiny details that I love to find in fics that show how well-researched they are (game mechanics are WIN), and their relationships.

Favorite's List forevah.

The language was simple enough to read well, but still flowed and rang true to FFXII. I enjoyed the fact that I understood what you were saying (or thought I did) with a fair amount of precision without having to check a thesaurus every ten minutes. You also distinguished the POV's _very well_, in my opinion; the characters all seemed to have different tones and rhythms to their thoughts and speech that was faithful to my knowledge and impressions of the original game. I think it's impressive to nail the formality in Basch, Noah, and (especially) Larsa without them bleeding too much into each other, but I was deliriously happy by how well Vaan was done- without him being a completely irredeemable idiot or turning into a girl.

As far as the girls go; Ashe's sheer presence through the fic was alternately awe inspiring and cute (how present the others are in Vaan's thoughts?), Fran's appearances were fascinating and perfect for both the plot and her character, and Penelo's was perfectly balanced - not overwhelming in her Mother-ness, not too romantic, and not too grown up, yet.

I actually enjoyed the Senator's portrayal a great deal, as well as Tomaj and the Hunt... that wound back in to the story to become a major plot point.

I do have one question though; what about Zodiark? (That would be AWESOME for a sequel.)

As far as actual criticism goes... hm. I noticed two or three typos in the fic (words misplaced - like doubling up on a name accidentally), but (a) I don't consider that criticism and (b) I don't actually have time to go find them right now. xD Your imagery was vivid, the story whole and formed, and the POV's both appropriate (I hate unnecessary POV changes recently) and well done. If there are any plot holes or significant issues, they aren't immediately apparent and it's too late at night for me to go deliberately looking for them. Heh.

Cheers for long nights!

- Trisana
AuronLu chapter 1 . 3/24/2010
What an incredible story.

I'm still feeling my way through FFXII, getting used to its depths and textures and characters and details, so I'm just reading this as a story and trusting you to know the way as I know Spira.

You write *anger* so well. Emotional range.

The mechanics of the battle with the buffs, the firepower, the quickenings and the summons were perfect. Too many people fail to be specific, to understand the flow of these battles, the details of the abilities woven into these worlds as precisely as alliances, names, geography. Those that do try it usually make the game mechanics hang out like chicken wire and duct tape showing on a stage facade. You make it flow as well as other people write people.

This isn't a meta-story; it's a great drama. But I'm so taken with your meta on magic and combat, summons and overdrives.