Reviews for The Value Of A King
R Amythest chapter 1 . 3/29/2011
So I've been shuffling through your stuff, and I found this.

I liked it. They're both so adorably stubborn and Percival's loyalty is hot. And their brief touches and secrecy are also hot.
Myaru chapter 1 . 8/23/2009
Well, I don't want to repeat myself, but probably will anyway. This fic deserves love, and not just because it was for me, though I'd be remiss if I didn't say something, now wouldn't I?

So, this:

[“I can’t help but think that kings are useless. In the sense of Chess, at least,” he said.

Percival, usually silent, spoke up. “But without guidance of the king...without someone to live for and to believe in, where would the rest of the court be?”

“So he has the utmost importance as a figurehead? Charming,” Mildain said.]

Whether intentional or not, this exchange does something interesting. It can be read as Mildain expressing a lack of faith in ruling politics (specifically Etruria, but it could apply easily to Bern), even though his comment seems innocent enough, especially when he's quick to point out the context as chess, not life. And if you decide to read it that way, then it can mean two (or more?) things: that his father's rule is ineffective, and/or the state of politics in Etruria is stagnating; or, that Mildain thinks becoming king will render him useless - an opinion that would suit him during and after the game.

Actually, you're pretty ambiguous on timeline in this scene; the very first one is clearly about his past, and the one after it is clearly set during the war (around Nabata, I'm guessing?), but their conversation about queens could go either way. I'm defaulting to before the war, because they have a chess set, and Percival has clearly had to pull some strings to get another one during the desert scene.

Anyway, Percival takes the exchange directly into the present, and Mildain shows no disagreement, which is what inspired this line of thought. The game is proof he is doing more for Etruria and the rest of the continent as a "simple bard" than he ever did as a prince, so regardless of the exact timeline of that scene, it's a very reflective conversation, one that means a lot in terms of his characterization.

This is especially funny when Percival is being so predictable and adorable. That's just my fangirling, of course.

I love this story. It's a wonderful present. Thank you again!