Reviews for Observations
Wingatron chapter 263 . 9/13/2013
I have no idea how to convey all the emotions I've been through in a few words. So I'll simply start by saying "thank you". I mean it, genuinely. It's been a journey, it's been an adventure, and, most of it, it's been a lesson about life and living.

I've been reading your fic for the past 3 weeks or so. Slowly, savouring the raw feelings. I enjoyed the observational style and the lent progress of Jim's and Spock's friendship and love. I loved the questions you raised, I loved the way you pictured society, I loved the way you wrote about life, equality, love, rights, etc. I find myself incapable of telling the extent of which this story resonated with me.

Its complexity was amazing. Your knowledge, covering so many different areas is stunning, so is your imagination and creativity. Your characters were real, the universe you pictured was real, the story was real for me. It was an impulse to hope, it was a masterpiece, it was a friend. Observations was the best fanfic I've ever read (and I'm something alike to a professional fanfiction reader). No, more than that: it was one of the best pieces of literature that I have ever encountered. I have been studying exegesis for years and years, so believe me when I praise your fic's quality.

You said you're not a professional writer; that made me a bit sad. Because the world would have lots to gain it you published your own, independent books.

I regret that I will probably never have the chance to meet you. I am so grateful for the answers you provided. I am so grateful for the lesson you taught me. I was hesitant to engage in reading such a long story, but I am so, so glad I did.

All those words could not convey what I felt. So, let me repeat: thank you. That's more meaningful than anything.

All my respect,
Wingatron
velti chapter 212 . 9/10/2013
It amazes me how you write, with so many characters speaking in the same paragraph, you write the different ways they speak, perfectly. I can tell who they are by the way they speak. I am not sure if that makes sense, but your writing is so natural, and it feels like they are the actual characters acting it out and like the original author has made a side-story(ish) about all the same characters. You're a terrific writer, perfectly amazing!
Viviane Renard chapter 263 . 9/2/2013
Although I read this on your LiveJournal, I wanted to write a review on since there is where I first found this story.

I am amazed at the skill, detail, and feeling of your writing. It flows from scientific to action-oriented to madness to freeflow, and somehow combines all these styles together into a cohesive, wonderful story. Since I'd like to provide some constructive criticism (as meager as it is, considering how perfect this story already is), the only point I did not like was when you strayed away from Spock's point of view for two chapters (Jim's POV, then McCoy). Since this is essentially Spock's perspective on the adventures of the Enterprise, it jarred me to suddenly be reading from another's point of view. Since 98% of the story is written from his mindset (or as if he were reading reports), it felt out of place. The chapters weren't bad, but I felt that you could have conveyed the same sentiments through conversations with those characters, as you've done in other chapters. Switching POV in itself is not bad, but most stories that use this feature use it on a more consistent and frequent basis, which helps the reader know what to expect.

That aside, I can't think of a single thing that I would change. This is a very creative piece that pays great homage to the original series and new movies, while standing strongly on its own. It's a fascinating read, seeing how these strangers- thrown together by tragic circumstances- become a family over five years of hard work, hardship, and joy. The ending felt perfect, accumulating in Spock and Jim's bond, then everyone having one last celebration before parting their separate ways. When Spock says, "I regret nothing," despite all the hardships he suffered throughout his tenure on the Enterprise, it felt like the perfect words to end the story on. The crew went through difficulties, but those bitter moments brought them all together, and if any one of those hard times had not happened, they would not be who or where they are today. When he said, "I regret nothing," it felt like he was silently saying that it was all worth it.

Thank you so much for sharing this gem of a story. I was entertained, enthralled, and at times even educated by your writing. These were hours well spent.
dracos-squiggle chapter 263 . 8/31/2013
I have no words to describe my feelings towards this, however i am beyond positive that this is simply the best fanfiction ive ever read and i think no other work can beat/relate to this. Thank you so much.
Ligerlilly chapter 263 . 8/29/2013
Wow.

Just wow.

And thank you.
rdemon chapter 263 . 8/8/2013
It took me three weeks and four days to read all two hundred odd chapter of this fic. I admit, I may or may not have cheated and skim through someparts that went over my head and made my eyes rolled at the back of my head but this is by far the longest fic I have read and actually finished. The longest fic before this was 60 chapters and 23k words top, and I read that non-stop for a week. If my brain melted then it is a debris of explosion now.
This is a real awesome fic because it made laugh, cry, thoughtful, nostalgic and inspired. The subjects you broach, the words your crafted, the feeling you have induced...
It's been quite the ride.
For that, Thank You.
DuanaRu chapter 159 . 8/5/2013
Breathtaking.
DuanaRu chapter 128 . 8/4/2013
100 points for the Firefly nod. Love it.
StarboardBow chapter 263 . 8/4/2013
First off, I will not claim to be one who found this fic and stayed up all night reading it. In fact, this has taken me three weeks to read (reading it every day). But what a journey! What an incredible journey! Characterizations, plot, pacing, the poetry, the bible references, everything. It's all perfect. And your authors note almost made me choke up because I realized what the fic was all about- the journey, family, love. What a fantastic ensemble piece, while I recognize it was written mainly from Spock's perspective, it was really about everyone. I don't know how I can read anything else now, this has really spoiled me. It has also filled up my notes app- everything I found interesting about the story I copied and pasted into the app, needless to say it is quite full. I will stop my ranting now about how wonderful this story is. It's not just a fan fiction- it is a morality tale. You are amazing, just wonderful.
Tyramiss chapter 263 . 8/3/2013
This story killed me.
I think this sums up all my feelings :)
Thank you very very much for sharing.
Valheru1988 chapter 263 . 7/27/2013
it's both a happy ending and not, pretty much everyone is splitting up and going different ways showing that even at the end of a journey life goes on.

it was a fantastic read and journey, thank you for the trip.
Selte H. Ryor chapter 263 . 7/15/2013
I usually check the end of long stories before reading them, just to make sure that they are actually completed prior to getting emotionally invested in the storyline, and so I read your endnote. I have not yet started the actual fic- but I will- yet I just wanted to say thank you. Your note was the most beautiful and true expression of what it means to write that I have ever had the honor of reading, and it resonated with me. You have inspired me to reach for newer, taller heights in my writing and in life and general. Thank you for that.
I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, and I genuinely hope that you find everything you're looking for.
meglepetes chapter 263 . 7/12/2013
That was very intense. Thank you.
StarFikker chapter 263 . 6/21/2013
Writing reviews for fanfiction feels so strange. I'm a reader- I read nonstop, always have. I've been reading fanfiction for about six years now, and I always find reviewing fanfiction to be a surreal experience. Readers forge a relationship with a story, and a relationship with the author, but in reality I don't know you, and you don't know me. So I hope you don't find me too familiar in this review.

I almost wish I'd read this more slowly- as it is, I devoured it in two days. Two jarring, action-packed days. As a whole, this story is filled to the brim, a thrilling "page-turner" that demands a huge emotional investment. I feel like I should have taken more time to savor the raw feelings here, but with nothing stopping me, I couldn't put it away. I've read a lot of fanfiction, and I take so much pleasure from stories like this, which take familiar settings and characters, and create something so vividly real and true. Observations is phenomenal. It's true because it's real- I believe the events which come to pass even as I mourn them. Your main characters were so alive and compelling that they existed outside the story, for me.

The issues dealt with here, especially in the last thirty chapters, were so profound that I nearly quit, even that close to finishing. I was so scared that you would drag me through an emotional grinder and not deliver an ending I could live with. You know everyone has questions and problems- I'm no exception, and late at night, when I'm reading alone in quiet, they plague me aggressively. Thank you for asking these questions with me. Thank you for acknowledging that life can not be easy, while providing me with the answers I need to find a small piece of peace.

I'm not sure if you want my critical analysis for this story, but giving it helps me understand how you moved me so effectively, so I will. I wasn't sure I would enjoy the observational rather than narrative style at first, but you merged them flawlessly. I can't express to you how much more I enjoy a story that contains facts, analysis, and a genuine intellectual flavor. You wrote eloquently on many topics, and I found that intelligence added a huge dimension of believability and inspiration to the story. Your use of repetition and parallelism was unbelievably effective. I've never seen this particular elements marshaled so masterfully, nor your run-on sentences and stream of concious paragraphs. They conveyed the emotions more powerfully than most professional authors I've read. Your choice of refrains (especially the text from Ruth) was perfect. Each time I came upon these lines in subsequent chapters, their meaning was elevated and their presence echoed in my mind.

Often I think about poetic justice. That's my go-to term for the sense of rightness that can be found in the world, that is felt when one beholds the perfect rightness of nature, or the sense of connection I feel to my loved ones. Literary works which have obtained this justice read as if they wrote themselves. I don't say that to undermine the work I know you put into creating this story, but to reflect the way that, while reading this, I frequently paused to think, "That is absolutely the only way this event could have unfolded." Your story is right.

Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I treasure your story, your characterizations, your questions and your answers. Thank you.
Ziazan chapter 25 . 6/20/2013
I usually like to wait until the end of a story to review but I can't get over, the line about capturing the captain. It made me laugh at 1 in the morning.
1,269 | « Prev Page 1 .. 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 .. Last Next »