Reviews for Far from Wipers
Ersatz Einstein chapter 1 . 10/18/2013
Slight punctuation errors aside, this is wonderfully structured and the characterization is perfect. I particularly enjoyed the Dowager's dialogue.
Ladyjulian chapter 1 . 9/1/2013
All your fics are as sound as bells. ;)
OldFashionedGirl95 chapter 1 . 3/16/2013
Wow. This is - this is BUNTER, in the flesh, and the Dowager Duchess is pitch-perfect, and it's all so splendid and marvelous that I want to cry.
mlktrout chapter 1 . 1/27/2013
Oh gosh, I *love* this! It blends perfectly with the Bunter we know and love, and the glimpses of Wimsey that we have seen from time to time when he is at less than his best. You've captured the dialogue of both Bunter and the Dowager perfectly; I could well imagine seeing this in any of the books. This will be one I will revisit. I already knew you were a talented writer but this story is extra special.
yoursandmine chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
Fantastic story in the true tradition of Ms. Sayers ... you've really nailed Lord Peter's conversational style and I appreciate seeing some more of Bunter's thoughts.
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 10/7/2011
You have a real gift for bringing Bunter's interiority to life: Sayers gives us enough glimpses in the books to give you a platform to build on, which you do convincingly and with great depth. The opening scenes, when he leaves his mother, paint a touching portrait of post-war life, with Mrs. Bunter having to endure another parting with her son, though not as dreadful as the two sons who never came back from the war. Bunter's particularness about his clothes is not only absolutely in character but described in perfectly Sayer-esque language: "Bunter groaned, but it couldn't be helped. He might have worn one of his brothers' suits, but feelings of delicacy aside, he had always been the tallest of his family, and a missing button was preferable to a missing two inches of trouser leg." Not to mention his determination to get to Wimsey and implicit faith that once he does all will be set straight. The way he takes over, knowing from their shared experiences how to deal with Wimsey in ways that his family simply can't, is also utterly in character and believable - and fits beautifully with what the Dowager Duchess says in "Busman's Honeymoon." Speaking of whom, you have captured her voice just perfectly, which is hard to do! And the final line, showing (not telling!) her emotion as she sees Peter improve beyond her hope (though still completely realistically) is very tender and deeply touching.
sapienlover chapter 1 . 7/26/2011
A beautifully observed and pitch-perfect illustration of the beginning of this unique 'understanding' (I'm sure both Peter and Bunter would hasten to demur in public as to their loving yet platonic relationship) between master and man. I've always loved the dynamics of their deep friendship and always regarded it as almost symbiotic. Each character is every inch that of D.L.S., and as someone who is especially fond of the Dowager Duchess, I'm touched by the way you have brought her breathtakingly to life. This is well-researched, perfectly written and an utter joy to read, as are all of your Wimsey fics. More please?
flower pot girl chapter 1 . 3/22/2011
These are lovely and so true to the books. Thank you so much for brightening my day.
Anna chapter 1 . 11/14/2010
Excellent piece - I particulary wanted to say that the characterisation of the Duchess is very well done - it's difficult to capture her manner of speaking but you've done it very well.
ShakNali chapter 1 . 5/30/2010
Excellent piece. You captured the characters very well. I'd love to see more in this story.
igbogal chapter 1 . 5/22/2010
Well, the duchess isn't the only one wiping away tears - this beautifully written story had me blinking some back at the end, too. As if I didn't love Bunter enough already, you've given him more depth by showing just how much he suffered before he became the personification of stability for Lord Peter. When Peter's absurdly sheltered mother was talking about the war, I'll bet Bunter sorely wished he could shove a big chunk of perspective down the good lady's throat...and the way he gets Peter on the road to recovery by delving into their shared memories is so wonderful. You've done Dorothy L. Sayers proud!
Lokun chapter 1 . 5/6/2010
I can't believe I haven't left a review on this earlier.
Anyhow, what I wanted to say is pretty much: You-are-a-super-genious-I-love-this-story-and-I-wish-that-you-could-write-more-Wimsey-fanfics!
Yeah, that's what I want to say. This is so great! YOU are great! The language fits perfectly with the style of the books and it looks like something Sayers could have written herself. If you don't write mor Fanfics about my favourite Lord I will die a little inside...
So, pretty please? You got a gift when it comes to writing Lord Peter Wimsey stories, so don't let it go to waste. ;)
I'm begging you! Ó-Ò
nariB chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
You lent an absolutely beautiful voice to the tale. lovely work with details.
smallrose chapter 1 . 1/20/2010
Nice piece. Although, I did get the impression from 'Whose Body' that when Peter had one of his "spells," he didn't know that he wasn't on the front anymore. But still, really good work!
amitai chapter 1 . 11/26/2009
This is absolutely perfect - I feel like I've just read the backstory to one of Sayers' novels! amazing. _

Thank you so much! I love it, Bunter is beautiful, Lord Peter is wonderful and the Duchess... just. Everyone. *g*