Reviews for A Man of Action
Foeseeker chapter 7 . 7/12
Can I keep Wash's little parting shot from "In Conclusion" on a shelf or framed somewhere? I laughed a lot louder than I probably should have. That was just beautiful, both the snark and the perfect characterization. Really, if you ever decide to flesh out his background, I'd love to read it. You write him with an incredible level of accuracy - and depth. I think he tends to get shuffled aside as the clown of the bunch, but while the humor is a key part of his personality I do love getting to see his more serious side. You've let that surface a few times, even managed to blend the humor and the seriousness back in... I can't remember which chapter, but when the men were having target practice and Wash threw out a quip about Simon beating up Jayne. Loved that scene, by the way, and how Simon continued to surprise (and be surprised) throughout this. Seeing him and Jayne all chummy is odd but wonderfully refreshing. The characters haven't remained static since the end of the show. They've grown and changed, and it works very well.

I must admit, I found "Thompson's" explanation as to why he kept Simon in the dark about his Underground activities a bit stretched. Believable, in a Michael Crichton-esque kind of way, but stretched. I couldn't help but think that it would have streamlined things to let Simon in on his plans once he found out what the boy was up to. Certainly saved the family involved some extra grief. Ah well, I guess it was necessary for the story, and perhaps he wasn't really thinking entirely clearly at the time, anyway. Hindsight is always clearer than foresight.

River is... you do her well. I can't think of the proper word to describe it. The right mix of crazy and sane, a shifting mental and emotional hodgepodge, where you think you know what to expect but also have this nagging question whether or not she's going to snap at any moment. The "filters" setup was interesting to watch unfold - her craziness seems to be much saner than the sane people around her realize. It's popped up a couple times, but I liked your slight tweaking of canon - she doesn't quite "read" minds and probe into them, she picks up on thoughts and emotions like radio broadcasts. Now that I think of it, the first "Leaves on the Wind" comic - I read it but am not a fan - actually portrayed this sort of thing at one point, when Mal and River are interrogating an Alliance captain. To identify a specific planet, Mal had to show the captain pictures of them one at a time until River picked up the proper mental reaction from him.

Loved the scene with the exploding crate. I don't think I need to say more about that - I got the sense that you very much enjoyed writing it. Except that I am insatiably curious to find out who Shepherd Book actually is and what in the 'Verse he's doing on Serenity. He's brilliant, especially when it comes to military knowledge and tactics. I assume you're not using the backstory given in the comics - I haven't read them, but I've looked up the summaries. I suspect you have something much more exciting - your profile says you're planning a fic about him, which I look very forward to.

God bless!
Foeseeker
Foeseeker chapter 1 . 7/11
I wasn't going to review until I got to the end, but a) it's getting late and I'm going to have to stop in the middle, and b) you made a Star Trek reference and won all the shiny awards in the 'Verse. Plus and a metric vs. imperial argument, which my little science heart took great nerdy glee in, and I don't think I mentioned in my review of "Man of Honor" how much I loved your "cross-referencing" between your stories - mention of people, places, events, etc. Here I caught Sessions from "Man of Principle," and "Man of Honor" closed with the setup for some of the events of "Man of Principle." Not to mention a dozen other little things along the way. Here a reference to "Man of Honor's" weapons dump also got a cameo. And it looks like we finally get to learn a little bit more about Simon's rescue of River.

I look forward to the rest of this. God bless!
Foeseeker
Hebi R chapter 7 . 1/18
Thank you for this.
Person Of A Strange Origin chapter 7 . 2/17/2012
What? Wait...that's it? No more chapters? How could you leave it like that! So many questions! :( But I loved it! I loved it a lot! It was completely unique and awesome! :)I love how River seemed to 'borrow' the others personalities. It seemed to fit...a lot. :)
jenefaner chapter 7 . 3/18/2011
OMG, I LOVE THESE! Please make MANY MANY MORE! You are just amazing! By far, my favorite Firefly author! These are legit episodes in my head, there are just so amazing! keep em up please!
JustLikeToRead chapter 1 . 3/11/2011
And yet more awesomeness. Thank you so much. :) Do we get to hear any more from you about Jayne and River? I like Jayne almost as much as Badger. :)

You seem like you ought to be a "real" author, like selling books and stuff. Can't believe you've only been doing it for a couple of years. If you don't mind my asking, what's your "normal" profession(s)?

BTW, it's your fault I'm up till after 2:30 am when I have to get up at 6:00 for work...
skywiseskychan chapter 7 . 12/23/2010
Again an interesting evolution in how a character is to be perceived, however I think that in this case it was less successful than in Man of Honor, as Mr. Tam's reasons for locking his son out of the truth are just not convincing enough, though the rest of the story hinges upon it. Also the middlemen should have been played as a bit more sympathetic, as with the way it is written its hard to believe that they are the honorable scoundrels that it appears you want us to take them for. Anyone given Niska's requirements for the job would or should have smelled a rat. At the very least have known they were setting someone up.

If we are to accept that they honestly did not then when Simon comes to them they should have been much more willing to want to help, (though they could object on the grounds of we'll be lost in space forever if we try.) Their character just seemed inconsistent for what you were trying to portray them as.

On to Badger, again a fun turnabout with his character, though if it is not intended to go somewhere or as a building block for future stories might I suggest that the mastermind behind it have been Simons father instead, he would have better reason, means, and knowledge of what would have been required and could at that point have hired Badger to slip them to the serenity crew somehow.

anyway, on to the rest.
carick of hunter moon chapter 7 . 11/18/2010
this is a well craft well thought out story with some nice touches to it well done and thank you for your hard work
basaltone chapter 7 . 9/22/2010
Very nice, love the new Simon and was so surprised and pleased by the surprise guest. It helps explain a lot. Loved how Simon took over the ship, it shows that he is still using his brain, but some of the best parts of Mal and Jayne have rubbed off on him. Looking forward to the sequel. Happy writing.
Weesa chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
I really love reading your stories. They are so ... addictive. But this one feels unfinished, or like it could use a sequel. I would love to find out if the rest of the drugs work for River, and how they affect her. Please please write some more!
RevDorothyL chapter 7 . 4/6/2010
Wonderful! This is one of the best Simon-focused 'Firefly' fics I've read, and it's such a pleasure to read a story that does NOT mis-use grammar, spelling, or punctuation in any way!

Excellent work! Thank you for posting this.
RevDorothyL chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
"You can't set foot on a strange world in a red shirt. Everybody knows that."

Great shout-out to 'Star Trek'!
Ella Greggs chapter 7 . 3/28/2010
About time our Big Damn Heroes acquired a sworn ally to go with all their sworn enemies. Niska is such a lizzard - you captured his creepiness and brittleness very well. I liked your insights into Inara and what makes a Companion different than a prostitute, the reaching into herself to find some way to genuinely want to be with each client while she is with him/her. And River's reaction to Jayne taking the capture of her in the shower was really powerful. Very intrigued by your Shepherd Book - can't wait to read his story. And the sludge bomb all over Mal - classic Firefly! It's all interwoven so intricately, I'll probably have to keep an eye out for Sessions in future stories. A nice touch, having Badger get the medicine to River sort of on the sly, tying in with A Man of Principle. See you in the Black!
character-absquatulation chapter 1 . 3/18/2010
This whole story is brilliant. The plot twists are Joss-worthy, and well executed. The characterizations are spot-on, all the time. And the red shirt business in chapter one? Somewhere between that and the shower scenes, I was laughing so hard my housemates were worried. Thank you. :-D
Ella Greggs chapter 4 . 3/18/2010
Go, Simon! Quite a ride, these past two chapters - with Jayne turning into a pretty decent guy (even without River poking at his thick skin, literally and figuratively), and Simon's father turning out to be the opposite of what we expected. I love the detail in River's letter, asking her father to give Simon formal permission to court Kaylee. And yes, Kaylee Frye of the "New Home Fryes" - very cute!

I hope Simon can catch Serenity in time to foil Niska's evil plan, whatever that is. Will keep reading to see...