Reviews for Unexpected Guests
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 8/8/2013
Oh my gosh. You really know how to play with a person's heartstrings, don't you? Man, I was ready to cry here. Poor Bobby! Falling apart like that and the hardest part is that I know he would until someone gave him a kick in the pants that he's usually the one to dole out. And then the timing on that end. OHMYWORD. Yesssssss.
DJ Sparkles chapter 1 . 6/13/2012
Very clearly heard both voices. Well done!
slystir chapter 1 . 1/1/2012
I liked your story very much. Thank you for posting. I love your voice for Rufus. He can be such a dick, but he's an honest dick. LOL
nancylou chapter 1 . 8/8/2011
Cheryl,

I love Bobby and Rufus. Your version and the version that we saw briefly (RIP Rufus) in the show. I can see this scene happening in 'Lazarus Rising'.

As Dean is digging himself out of his grave (a la Buffy), and walking to the gas station. Getting some refreshments and some magazines. Hearing Castiel's (the lying liar that lies) 'real' voice. Calling Sam's phone.

We have your scene and then Dean is calling Bobby...

This is also a great prequel to your wonderful story 'Down but not out'.

Am I being too much of a stalker. Sorry, according to , there are 46 days of summer hellatus left, and I need to keep busy somehow. :) Nancylou
ccase13 chapter 1 . 7/13/2011
This is a great picture of Bobby and Rufus while Dean was in hell. Bobby not answering the phone would make life harder for a lot of hunters.
Cryselephantine chapter 1 . 9/27/2009
That... that must be the best, most in character, profound and touching impersonation of Bobby I've ever read! I'm nearly in tears and though that's not saying a lot (I'm a wussy I cry all the time .) but that fanfiction was really amazing.

It really WAS the missing scene from that episode! And here I thought the episode was complete enough. Well it was until I read THIS! beautifully done.

L.G.

PS : Keep on the awesome writing ;)
kirallie chapter 1 . 9/25/2009
Good explanation for why he's not drunk despite all the bottle swhen Dean shows up. Odd coincidence Rufus coming right before Dean calls.
CapeBretoner chapter 1 . 9/24/2009
I'm very much a newcomer to fanfic, but have been reading SPN fics lately while waiting for S5 to start. This powerful story wonderfully captures Bobby's voice and emotions - it brought me to tears. Well done! I'll look for more of your fics from now on.
bhoney chapter 1 . 9/15/2009
"he honestly hopes it’s someone coming to put him out of his misery. Seeing his intruder, he turns and puts his feet on the ground, leans forward and puts his head in his hands. Mercy ain’t been seen for a good long while and it wasn’t showing its face now." Aw, poor Bobby. My heart just broke for him here.

Loved this description of Dean: "knew just as well that Dean would win Rufus over like he won everyone over. By being himself, by being cocky and generous and funny and compassionate to a freakin’ fault."

"“Then why do it? Why continue to fight a battle we can’t win?” Bobby roars, facing Rufus.

Rufus smirks sadly. “Because it’s the only thing that keeps the darkness at bay, because if you quit, they win. Because it was something Dean Winchester stood for, died for.”" *sniffle*

"There is not one soul on earth he wants to talk to, truthfully not even Sam Winchester, maybe especially Sam, their methods of grieving clashing like gunpowder and fire." Great analogy.

Truthfully, I wasn't crazy about Rufus on the show, but you managed to make me like him in here. Nice characterization all around. Also, great job explaining why Bobby wasn't drunk when Dean showed up.
thevigilante15 chapter 1 . 9/10/2009
very well written:)
Eleri McCleod chapter 1 . 9/3/2009
What a lovely take on Bobby's reaction to Dean's death. Rufus is one of my all time favorite bit characters and I was happy to see him used to such advantage. Thanks for a look into Bobby's head and heart.

Keep writing!

Eleri
spootycup chapter 1 . 9/3/2009
That was good... i always thought bobby liked dean more then sam...

good thoughts from bobby and rufus...

keep up the great work
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 9/2/2009
Wonderful job of writing Bobby, though very heartbreaking.

I didn't realize when I decided to read this, that Bobby would still be suffering from Dean's death, though I like how you ended it, with Dean's phone call.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
SophieSaulie chapter 1 . 8/29/2009
Oh! This was WONDERFUL angst and you know I'm a complete sucker for anything that tributes Dean! Having Rufus tell Bobby how great a man Dean was, that he liked him, that Dean's ability to reach even someone as hardened as Rufus shows the kind of man he was. This story hit all the right notes with this unrepentent DeanGirl! LOVED IT!

Fave Parts:

Loved most of it, but these particularly tugged on the right heart strings:

There is a sigh from the other hunter and Bobby can sense he’s moved into the living room, is staring down at him. “John Winchester’s boys. Damn it Bobby, out of all the young hunters out there why did you have to go and get attached to them. Winchester raised ‘em to be this, to do this, to die like this. We both knew that. Was a time we took bets on it…who would die first…John or Sam or De…”

Bobby sprang from the couch, felt the impact of his fist on Rufus’ jaw even as the other man dropped to the floor. “You bastard, don’t talk about him like that!” he roars, towering over Rufus, the other hunter’s look shifting, not to anger but sympathy. And that is worse, so much worse. “Dean’s…” but Bobby’s voice shatters on the name, on the image imprinted in his mind of Dean Winchester’s bloody body, of Sam carrying his brother from that house in New Harmony, of pain the likes Bobby had felt only once before…for his wife.

- this totally killed! WONDERFUL!

Sliding back from his position on the floor to lean against a table, Rufus briskly wipes away the blood, eyes never leaving the shell of the man he knew. “Seems like old times, us fighting about those boys, about John. If it means anything to you, I liked him: Dean. He wasn’t like John, was braver than John could have ever hoped to be. Was smart….and he liked my Johnny Walker Blue.”

Bobby laughs in spite of himself but it’s a sound of sorrow more than mirth. He knew the liquor would get Dean in Rufus’s door, knew just as well that Dean would win Rufus over like he won everyone over. By being himself, by being cocky and generous and funny and compassionate to a freakin’ fault. Bobby sinks back to the couch, eyes on his one time friend.

- BEAUTIFUL! Sob! So captures the essence of the kind of man Dean was!

“You did right, Bobby. I couldn’t see past the bastard John was. And his kids, I never gave them a second’s thought, the life John had them living. It was a good thing, you taking in John, taking in his two boys. It took me ten years and meeting Dean to see that I was wrong and you were right,” Rufus concedes but there is no victory in Bobby’s eyes, instead there is a flash of regret. To Rufus’ surprise he feels a lump form in his throat as he prepares himself to say what he had come to say. Damn kid had gotten to him, a few minutes over a shared drink and he had slid right under his skin like a splinter. Swallowing, he looks at his hands a moment, uncertain for the first time in a long while before he looks again to Bobby, can see how deep the other man’s sorrow runs, knows this won’t help, what he is about to say but it needs saying.

“Before he left my place, Dean asked me to check up on you after….” And his bravado is gone, finds he can’t even choke out the words, knew by Bobby’s crumbling face he didn’t need to. “He loved you Bobby. Told me to tell you that it’s not your fault, that it was all his fault.”

Bobby chokes on a sob, stands up, turns his back to Rufus but his shoulders shake as he braces his hands against the wall and bows his head. The words were Dean’s, echo in his head in the kid’s voice. Dean would take all the blame on himself, would not want the gaping hole in Bobby’s soul that is there now….would always be there.

It is hard to see Bobby breaking down, to see his strong friend brought nearly to his knees with grief, no matter the disagreement about the Winchesters that had separated them ten years prior. “He wouldn’t want this from you, the drinking, cutting yourself off, not answering your phone so I have to drive five hours to say something you already know,” Rufus says, the last words nearly a snarl as he climbs to his feet, purposefully slams the phone back on the hook and plugs in the land line.

- AMAZING! I was sobbing!

Fantastic job! I loved how you tied this to Dean's call too. Loved it!
masondixon chapter 1 . 8/28/2009
Greedily, is there more to this story? Thank You.