Reviews for The Shortest Distance from A to B
sidefury chapter 41 . 12/5/2012
congrats, you are now the owner of my soul and affection. this is the single best fic I have read in my life (and i can pretty much say this without any exaggeration) and I can't believe how dedicated you are to write such a long, amazingly detailed fic. I have literally read it nonstop for the last three days, despite my looming exams, and every moment was amazing. I eagerly await more!
Lady Cheshire chapter 39 . 12/3/2012
Ahhh, what's that saying? Don't fear the Reaper? ;)

How do I say this? I love your Kanji, but I LOVE your Kanji from the viewpoint of head-injury!Naoto. :) (side thought: What better time to confess your feelings for someone than when they're suffering from a concussion?) These last two chapters are my favorites so far, if just for the simple fact that it's Naoto and Kanji stripped down to their very basic personalities. Kanji's grim optimism simply shines, and I love the patient tones underlying his reminders of Naoto repeating herself.

These last few chapters remind me very much of the amazing descriptions that struck me in your other story The Scientific Method, although here there's a solid foundation of camaraderie that (quite literally) pulls Naoto and Kanji out a hellish situation.
Lady Cheshire chapter 38 . 12/3/2012
So. . . I swear, I reviewed. I really did! FFN didn't seem to get the hint, though. So I'm re-reviewing here.

My biggest applause is for your consistent ability to maintain tension in this story. Ever since the installment with Namatame and Nanako, it hasn't broken. The suspense has leveled out and spiked, but the stakes keep getting higher, just like in the game. Easy to enjoy, hard to construct.

Favorite line: "You're fricking bleeding, dumbass!" - Don't get me wrong, I love me some awkward Kanji/Naoto interaction, but when the chips are down there's nothing better than raw personality shining through.

Second favorite line: The brawn was crippled and the brains couldn't think straight. - Comedy of errors, but still grim and unnerving. Seriously, this is a perfect chapter! Sorry this review took so long!
Sepsis chapter 41 . 11/30/2012
I think it was rally bravre of Kanji to try and call Naoto. I mean he really need to talk about it, that's true, but it's different to know something and to actually do something about it. And I suppose even though Naoto needs time to think (And I do hope she thinks and doesn't only panic. ;)), it's also good to know that Kanji really meant it and that this could get her to find enough courage to answer him. :3

"He still took his phone with him to the bathroom when he cleaned himself up; held it in his hand as he changed out of his day clothes; and kept it beside him as he lay sprawled on the bed, unable to sleep for the drawn-out, burning ache in his chest."
Oh god, and this is so adorable!

"In recent years, people had always assumed the worst of Kanji"
And I can't even imagine what a horrible feeling this has to be. :( It's so good that Kanji has others who believe him and who know him better, he really deserves that.

"Sometimes a man had do man stuff. Seemed kinda weird for 'man stuff' to include beating the crap out of your best friend, but who was he to judge?"
Yeah, I guess sometimes.. You just can't explain the things you just have to do. ;)

And I really like it how you're talking about the changing personas! So Souji didn't only feel bad about not being able to spend much time with the others (because he needed the other personas) but he also felt kind of used, because as soon as everybody was happier they.. kind of left him. A very interesting idea! :)

God, and it must be hard for Kanji to hear Naoto is leaving, but I loved it that he told Naoto what he thinks about everything.

""The murder case is essentially solved," she said, finally. "There's – no reason for me to be here anymore."Never mind a punch. That one had felt like a hand plunging down his throat and clenching around his insides. No reason."
And this must have hurt him a lot. :( Oh, naoto, sometimes you just don't notice how you're hurting others.

How he was still there in the end, even though she already left. :(
Megaolix chapter 41 . 11/27/2012
Glad to see Souji finally opening up. And unlike the game, he has a few months to finish those Social Links and be free fo them.

Incidentally, will you do the fight agaisnt Margaret in those months? Kinda doesn't make much sense for it to be done the same day he need to be at his best to face a God.

Apart from that, I wonder if Naoto's grandfather will hear about her troubles, clearly see better than her how she feels about Kanji, call Naoto an idiot and send her back to Inaba?
Sinuhe chapter 41 . 11/27/2012
Just a small comment since i think everything has been said already, Zero. You killed me with Naoto at the:

"A-are we still friends?"

Goddamn, what a sweet, vulnerable moment for her. I'm sure Kanji understands more now and I hope he has a better grasp of what to do now.
thecraziestcringle chapter 41 . 11/27/2012
OHCDGFNSGINOISFJDSIUOVHNIUDF SHA GOIDFJVIUHJIUODASG WHAT DID NAOTO SAIY OGMADOGMH.
SlaveofStrife chapter 41 . 11/26/2012
Ohh, this was delicious. As much as I love your more action orianted chapters, it's these awkward moments that I live for in this story. Beautiful, beautiful awkwardness. And you really get the sense that Kanji is so exhausted by it all now, more than ever, and wants to either A) just get a freaking yes or no already, or B) move on and try to forget the whole damn thing. Poor guy!

I know she was only in it briefly, but did I mention I just adore your Rise? That "ooo, pretty" line with the New Years card was just so spot on, and plain adorable.

And typical Naoto, just up and leaving like that. I was a fan of this little part: "Her gaze was disinterested for the first split-second, like he was some passing stranger, then her eyes immediately widened. One step closer, and her expression had turned carefully, expertly neutral."

Oh Naoto...stop fighting and just GO WITH IT.

Also, happy 500 reviews! You deserve another 500 and more!
Tempest Kiro chapter 41 . 11/24/2012
*Flail* Naoto Y U LEAVE?!
Bah well atleast Kanji does seem to be getting himself together in the courage stat, still a long way to go in expression. Naoto in the mean time needs to work both. I recomend her the Man's Life series as well as The Punk's way (Which would undoubtably help her understand Kanji more too).
So next chap is from Naoto's perspective? Hoo boy. Can't imagine the carnage going on in her brain.
frik1000 chapter 41 . 11/24/2012
se hogOG ASif nd kw oagieaspi u

WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS. IT HURTS. IT HURTS SO MUCH. I have to commend you, you are the only author I've seen on the 'net that can actually make me feel this way about fictional characters, so bravo to you, BUT DAMN IT IT STILL HURTS.

"I'm - not like you."

"No," he said, quietly. "You're better."

THIS PART. THIS PART.

sigh

Awesome job, as always, seriously one of my favorite stories of all time and one of the few I still follow. Keep up the awesome work and please please please update soon.
eXtraNIo chapter 41 . 11/24/2012
...
This chapter is more serieus than other, it's makes me a bit sad (

But, it an etape natural between Kanji and Naoto: he's dense, she's dense (XD) so the "final" step its not gonna be easy even if they knew their sentiments.

I'm really looking for Naoto POV to know better what think our little prince detective.

Poor Kanji, every time he touched her, he will remember that a thousands times every day Q_Q
Kyral chapter 41 . 11/24/2012
Grr! AARRRRGG! This is almost sweet torture the way you extend this out! Can't wait for the next chapter!

BTW, I just noticed that I've been reading this fic for three years now! Longest running fic in my Alerts/Favorites. Kudos on sticking with it!
Smallbell chapter 41 . 11/23/2012
I love it! Poor Kanji. Naoto is so mean to ignore him for so long, and give him no any idea about what is going on in her head. Though I loved the scene at the train. So sweet. Love it! Keep it up! BTW are you going for the true ending, cuz it sounds like you are...
Ulcaasi chapter 41 . 11/23/2012
Ugh. Wow. Ouch. Holy crap. AAAAGGGGHHHH. I am in awe. Feel like my heart's being ripped out. Mostly cause I like Kanji. A lot. And this is just... you were right. Although its not entirely infuriating.

I am now conflicted as to what to do. But I shall continue to wait out here. For the next update. With my shotgun. Which is totally not trained on the door.
UnjustToMe chapter 41 . 11/23/2012
Wow. Just. Wow.
I feel so sad but relieved at the same time because, although they're not together (yet), they still managed to resolve what happened between them. This just keeps getting better and better and the ending was great. The beginning was great. Everything fit together and... the story couldn't have taken a better turn. I wonder what the rest of the team's reaction would be. When will Naoto come back? Will Kanji be missing her more than he should? And since you said that the interlude would be next, I'm curious to see how Naoto would feel about this and what she would do next.
I applaud you for this wonderful story, friend. Keep on keeping on. :D
Will be reading your next chapter the moment I find out that it is out. XD
657 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »