Reviews for The Long Road Home
MidwestDreamer chapter 41 . 7/20
I have to admit that I was a bit leery about reading this, knowing that Tony would be permanently disabled; I love my happy endings and, revealing my own limited understanding (prejudice?), wasn't sure how you could get there with Tony confined to a wheelchair. (I also want to thank you for being up front about Tony's paralysis being permanent in your early author's notes as it gave us, as readers, the opportunity to opt out of reading if we weren't able, or didn't want to, accept that premise.) What you ended up crafting was a testament to Tony's indomitable spirit, bolstered by his bond with Gibbs and the support of his friends.

I think my only major quibble with this would be the speed with which Tony was able to forgive Gibbs...though I realize I'm perhaps not giving Tony enough credit. A part of me wonders if this storyline might have worked even better as a series, allowing you to explore more fully Tony's emotions and experiences- and Gibbs's as well- as they came to grips with something that was life-changing for both of them...but, ultimately, not insurmountable. You also brought out some interesting points as to the ramifications of Tony's injury on the team as a whole, chief among them McGee's belief that he could step into Tony's place as Senior Field Agent. Just as both Tony and Gibbs acknowledged that focusing on the "what ifs" couldn't change things, you can't change this story now...but, because I loved, and was intrigued by, so many of the things you brought out in this, I would love to see you expand on some of those great ideas, perhaps by way of additional stories that tie back to this one. How did Tony and McGee get their friendship back on track and continue to work together after Tim's betrayal? What doubts did Ziva express regarding Tony's ability to be a field agent and how were they resolved? Perhaps something post-story about Jimmy's friendship with, and support of, Tony? Does the protection detail Ziva and Tim are being sent on end up with Tim (or Ziva) having to be the one to follow Jenny's order that they stand down? Does Tony really have a trust fund, courtesy of his mother, and is he able to use it to make his life easier...and does Senior try to devise another way to get his hands on the money? What did Tony and Dr. Claire talk about in their sessions...and what kind of experiences did Tony have while working with his physical therapists? And, for fun (and because I really would love to know!), is Gibbs really as light on his feet as Edith predicted? ;-)

You also touched on the fact that the nature of Tony's injury left him impotent. Because so much of his canon persona focused on him having difficulties with commitment, I would love to see an exploration of Tony finding love. For the man whose pledge name was "Sex Machine," I think it would be an interesting, though perhaps at times heartbreaking- journey toward discovering that he can have both emotional and physical intimacy with someone.

I loved how you highlighted Tony's strength in this piece, while allowing him to have moments in which he felt that death might be his best option; that felt very real and natural to me. Tony remains my favorite character (I missed him terribly in Season 14, and suspect I'll still lament his absence in Season 15.) Canon showed us some of his complexity, but didn't delve into nearly as much as I would have liked, so I'm grateful to writers like you who recognized it and expanded on it beautifully.

Your OCs were fantastic in this piece. They were an integral part of the story, especially Dr. Winesett and Edith (I love that woman!) and you made them very real and believable.

I really enjoyed reading this and, as indicated above, I'd love to see more stories set in this universe. Thank you so much for sharing...(Please forgive typos; I need my coffee as much as Gibbs does, and am operating on only one cup at the moment!)
MidwestDreamer chapter 23 . 7/19
When reading a completed work, I typically wait until the end to to post a review and/or comments. After reading this chapter's confrontation between Gibbs and Jenny, and having done a few verbal fist pumps at your descriptions of Jenny in previous parts of this story, I have to send a big thank you your way.

Your characterization of Jenny in this story aligns so well with my impressions of her in canon. I did not like the woman from her initial throaty, "Hello, Jethro," and (heartless though it may sound) was not at all dismayed when she met her end in the diner shootout- beyond worrying about the fallout.

As you suggested in an earlier chapter, her behavior toward Gibbs seemed almost schizophrenic, for want of a better description. She never hesitated to remind hm of their past but, if he dared to show the same familiarity, she'd quickly put him in his place, reminding him that she was the Director. I was unsettled by her attitude at the start; by the end of her run, having seen all of her machinations, I was often infuriated by it. (Definite kudos to the show's writers for that!)

In the face off between Jenny and Gibbs contained in this chapter, you perfectly captured her condescension and arrogance. I always saw her, in canon, as being so certain she was doing the right thing; unfortunately, it was usually the right thing for Jenny Shepard, not for one of her agents or for NCIS in general. The way you write her ticks all of my boxes with regard to my feelings about the character. Well done!
Kimrene chapter 41 . 12/30/2016
Amazing!
Guest chapter 41 . 6/12/2016
I read this in 3 days, but was sick to my stomach, thinking abt a paralyzed Tony. You made this story too real...but well-written, & w a very realistic outcome. I wonder if Gibbs will ever get over the guilt...Thanks.
DarkGhana chapter 41 . 3/9/2016
I really enjoyed this! Thanks!
triggerhappyjax chapter 16 . 9/6/2015
I have been re-reading your stories and have not reviewed as I should. I love all your work but have to comment this last paragraph is truly fantastic writing. Poor Tony!
lmill123 chapter 33 . 10/28/2014
I love this story and Sr. is really a piece of cake. What I can't understand is how Sr. was able to gain power of attorny. He disowned Tony and gave up his rights as a parent when Tony was a child. So There is no way any judge would hand over power of attorny to Sr. much lest without his doctors stating that he was not in his right mind. At the very least the judge would have truned Tony's power of attorny over to the courts and not Sr. Unless he paid the judge a shit load of money witch would be easily traced. From what even the writers have suggested the way Sr. was able to disown Tony was by agree to place him in a boarding school and pay the fees until he turned 18. Time for Abby to do some major hacking or time to call in Fornell and start doing some digging . I am sure that there is list of crimes he has commited longer than his arm.
VG LittleBear chapter 1 . 2/12/2014
Hi, Amazing what you did with our favorite characters. I couldn't stop reading until I was through.
Thanks so much! Cheers!
ambard10 chapter 41 . 2/6/2014
Wow... congratulations¬° this story is great like as all your stories

your stories are with me on many occasions

thanks for that ...

and please I also want a sequel... and more stories o Tony and Gibbs
Silvia chapter 41 . 10/8/2013
This is such a great story. I started reading because I am a "Dark Angel" Fan and couldn't stop. I'm going to read your other stories as well but would really love a sequel. Would be interesting if Ziva started to love paralysed Tony!
Smile or else chapter 41 . 9/25/2013
:D
Richerd chapter 4 . 7/16/2013
Oh God,
I'm so sorry about your mother, my grandfather died from Alzheimer too.
It's really awful.
May God help her in the other world.
Carol chapter 41 . 6/7/2013
This is an excellent story for anyone who is facing a challenge. If DiNozzo can do it, so can they.
Apollo16 chapter 41 . 5/19/2013
It's really good. You a really good writer, and this story is awesome.
Ladyaloysius chapter 41 . 3/28/2013
This was an amazing ride! You really know this story and how life can be for people with disabilities, GREAT READ! NCISMOM you are good!
1,033 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »