Reviews for Blue and Grey
blindrain chapter 1 . 10/7/2010
Nice story. I like gray eyes better than blue ones...

"A/N: After I finished writing this, I had to go look up "blue," "grey," and "color" to make sure they were actually words. :P" - Ha!

Good job! :)
MorningStar chapter 1 . 9/5/2009
I can sympathize because I have gray eyes, but they're sort of blueish, in some lights, so I always have to tell people they're gray.

Great story!
Mirach chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
If my eyecolor would be so easy to define... It's "blue-green-grey"... But I like calling it grey just because of Aragorn ) It is interesting how Tolkien preferred this color of eyes, although authors tend to make their character's eyes interesting (some even gold or violet) and grey is considered not very interestiong. But Tolkien managed to describe them in a way that made me want to have grey eyes )
Tatsumaki-sama chapter 1 . 9/2/2009
Nice! I liked the idea of how Estel stood out compared to other people with the color of his eyes, the same color of elves' eyes as well.
fireamber chapter 1 . 8/31/2009
Interesting. The only eye color Tolkien mentions, especially on elves, is grey. Tolkien's wife had pale skin, grey eyes, and black hair. He modeled both Arwen and Luthien on her. And Estel should complain? I've got a blue eye and a green eye. Talk about split personality!
Jedi Sapphire chapter 1 . 8/31/2009
Very nice. *g* I love the way you write Estel/Aragorn and his relationships.
Silivren Tinu chapter 1 . 8/31/2009
I can so identify with Estel in this story, because I'm actually having the same problem. I've always seen my eyes as grey, but people insist on calling them blue. ;-) I've always liked grey eyes, though, like you, I have nothing whatsoever against blue eyes. Being German, I just tend to find it especially annoying when blue eyes are seen as something special or 'better'.

/I was also tired of some authors’ attempts to be creative at describing eyeballs…/

I know what you mean. *g* Sometimes, said attempts really make me cringe.

Great idea and great story, Cal. :)
Marchwriter chapter 1 . 8/30/2009
Thank you for this, Calenlass. Your pen strikes the heart once more-and very poignantly I might add. Many authors, not excluding myself, can become a bit over flowery in their decorative descriptions of their heroes' eyes.

A nice piece. Very tongue-in-cheek.

Best,

Marchwriter
Deandra chapter 1 . 8/30/2009
Sigh! Will attempt this again without reclicking on Review This Story/Chapter, thereby dumping the already typed review!

This is very nice, and one can readily see why young Estel might consider his eye color an essential part of his identity. While many boys might wish to blend in and be like everyone else, Estel is born to stand out, even when he is concealed.

Couple of things that might need fixing:

It can remind him of winter or summary. - "summary"?

Blue eyes have so many different names, while grey has little expressions to its name. - might be better for "expressions" to be singular

It is what sets apart from other Men, and lets him know where he belongs. - possibly add "him" in there, so: "...is what sets HIM apart..."

As to the often attributed "blue" eyecolor to elves, well the movie rather contributed to the confusion (in particular the hair color of Boromir and Faramir). In cases where I can't find that Tolkien ever specified hair or eye color, I often use what was portrayed in the movie, but more often people go with what they saw than what they read (IF they read it).

- Deandra