Reviews for What Rough Beast
WhyMustIWrite chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
This story surprised and delighted me. I love Faramir's training of the kitten- displaying his ability to govern beasts, and foreshadowing how he will be a leader of men whom he loves, and who love him in turn.
And then there was Denethor... a rough man who, while favoring his first son, loves his second son in his own way. A man who believes that traits like gentleness cannot afford to be nurtured in dark times.
I'm glad I came across your story, with it's wonderful characterization.
A shade of grey91 chapter 1 . 1/31/2012
not many authors can put such cold neglect coupled with a bit of affection and make it convincing.
wispykitty chapter 1 . 4/8/2011
For the first possible time you've gone and made me feel sorry for Denethor. Raising a child in his position can't be easy, and too often we forget that beneath what may seem as cruel gestures, there are struggles that one in Denethor's position can't possibly be expected to reveal to anyone.

This was beautiful and beyond heartbreaking.
Imperial Dragon chapter 1 . 12/23/2010
A short but good piece, I'm glad Denethor took the kitten to the bakery instead of killing it.
Darkover chapter 1 . 12/7/2010
This was a very moving story. The ending was unexpected, at least by me, but very in-character for Denethor. No doubt he believed he was being cruel to be kind. Personally, I think he was just being cruel, regardless of how he rationalized it. BTW, do kittens eat butter? Wouldn't Farron need milk, instead? And no matter what Denethor said, no kitten-and few cats-could take on rats. Mice, yes, rats, no. Anyway, a very well-written story. Thanks for writing and posting it! Sincerely, Darkover
notwolf chapter 1 . 11/4/2010
How sweet. I was angry and indignant when I thought they killed his cat, only to find it had bitten Denethor! haha. Poor Faramir, though, he doesn't know.
lindahoyland chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
Just heartrending for poor Faramir, but at least the kitten survived,
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 2/10/2010
A great story. Very well written.
Baby Dragon chapter 1 . 10/17/2009
That was great! Please oh please write a few more little Faramir stories, there really hard to find and you did a wonderful job. Had me thinking that the poor little kitten had been killed...but instad it was defending its home for the invading Gondor... hehe I giggled a lot at that one. And as the owner of three cats I can understand...they HURT! Love it and will now shamless beg for more.
Irene chapter 1 . 9/3/2009
A wonderful story, each single word. Thank you for sharing.
KyMahalei chapter 1 . 9/1/2009
You have such a talent! First you pull my heartstrings one way and then another. I love the way you took the sidewaysw path to get to the heart of the story. Please don't stop writing.

(Now I'm off to Teitho to figure out which story is yours...)