Reviews for Everingham's Grounds
anonymous chapter 1 . 11/3/2012
I liked this! Please continue it. It was an interesting turn of events that William sent the letter to Fanny instead of to Henry. I thought it was great :)
LOTRlover chapter 1 . 5/29/2012
Delightfully written! A true homage to the immortal style of Jane Austen, with very intriguing insight into the characters. Nearly every reader of Mansfield Park, I think, has SOME sympathy for Henry Crawford, and you have given him a thoughtfully composed epilogue (or perhaps you ought to continue! Your writing is excellent). I appreciated the inclusion of William, and thought that Fanny's actions and reply were very much in character. Bravo-well done!
Violent Fille chapter 1 . 1/21/2012
Loved it. One doesn't usually see this kind of quality in FF.

Your story was much needed as I've been trying to figure out Henry Crawford ever since I came to know Mansfield Park. The reason why I love the story so much is because both Henry and Fanny are such intricate, complex characters that stand out to me.

Like many, I'm neither the first nor the last to root for Henry's potential and the Henry/Fanny relationship. As satisfying as it is to imagine their future together, Jane Austen's writing style simply does not allow for someone like Henry, with his devious history, to get the virtuous heroine. But I absolutely love the suggestion of its possibility in the book, very different from Austen's other work.

Again, awesome job. x
semantics chapter 1 . 7/13/2011
Actually, I compliment you on your style for the fanfiction - truly sticking to Austen's way of words (in my opinion).

Poor Henry, did you create a sequal?

as for the AN - don't worry I spoke like that for an intervalle of time after reading Jane Eyre (Oh boy :P)
Shoofly chapter 1 . 6/21/2011
Amazing little story. Really loved it. It was though you were channeling Jane Austin! I don't always like the "rakish" characters, but I actually rooted for Henry over Edmund.
Iiandyr chapter 1 . 11/13/2010
Really good story. It got me right there and I completely agree with how you have presented mr Crawford. I also like how you don't drag on too long with the letters between this person and that, because things such as that have a tendency to bring the focus off the important parts of the story.

If you were to write a follow-up on this, I would very much like to read it! :)
Julia451 chapter 1 . 9/9/2010
I love this! I didn't read your AN, so I thought this was a one-shot until the last paragraph. It works fine as it is. You've captured Austen's tone and style almost perfectly - Crawford's Disllusionment seemed a little *too much* like Elizabeth Bennett's. My favorite line was this: "His most marked defect became increasingly clear to him; a propensity to apprehend immediate gratification at the expense of future fulfillment of all his most sublime desires." Very true - if only his blind fangirls could see that... "...a fortnight he had been seeking to place the blame on someone – something – other than himself" - Yep, too many readers still are.

The only line that contradict's the original novel is this: "I never deceived myself enough to believe I deserved her and always cherished the hope that she might take my hand in spite of myself." Crawford actually said the exact opposite while proposing Fanny - that he was the only one who "deserved" her, and he didn't try to disguise even from her his complete confidence that he would conquer her in the end.

Crawford's a thoroughly complex character and fun to read, indeed, but like Willoughby, he never learned by the end of his book to value true love above his wordly desires (in Willoughby's case, it was wealth; in Crawford's, lust and control over women's minds and hearts) or to value the happiness of the woman he supposedly loved above his own. A children's book would end with him changing his ways and being rewarded thereof, but that would be too predictable and way too didactic for Austen. But he was complex enough to suffer if not (as he proved) to change his ways, and you captured his perspective on the matter excellently!
vessa chapter 1 . 6/28/2010
i really like this story hope you update soon
MiddlemarchEliot chapter 1 . 3/13/2010
I know you wrote this awhile ago but I hope you could continue if you still feel inspired. I browsed through the Mansfield Park section hoping to find a story where Mr. Crawford should attempt to communicate with Fanny again and i was sad to find out that you hadn't updated in awhile.

I love your writing style. It's very similar to Austen even though it's rather difficult nowadays to write like her. I loved it so far...and only wished there was more!
Ione chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
May I say, your emulation of Jane Austen's style is admirable, and your grasp of the social forces at play is astute. Most other authors would have had Henry write directly to Fanny, a la Mr. Darcy to Lizzy, without realizing just what a gross social faux pas that would be. I really hope to see a continuation of this story in the near future.

Right after Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park is my favorite novel of hers because of the subtle turns of the plot and the characters. It would have been so easy for Henry to really gain Fanny's heart (within a suitable distance of Mary's marriage to Edmund, of course). I've often wished for the talent to write an accurate 'what if?' story along those lines, tracing one couple's descent into unhappiness and the other couple's rise.

Anyway, good luck, I know how stressful a different style can be, but you've got my vote of confidence and my best wishes!
Mariagoner chapter 1 . 9/23/2009
I really enjoyed this, and I wish you would pick this story back up again! Your style is very nicely written and very much of the period, and seeing Henry find his way into Fanny's good graces after his shocking offense would be most interesting. I do hope you continue this soon.
dulceInvierno chapter 1 . 9/21/2009
its good

really good
Eli chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
I thoroughly enjoyed your narrative and am in complete accord with your preference of . Though I wish you would continue and resolve the poor fellow into a happy arrangement, mayhap with the felicity that a loving marriage provides with his beloved Fanny
NaomiBlue chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
I found this interesting and well written. I also like Henry I feel he is one of the few villains that has actual potential for improvement. I look forward to more if you continue.