Reviews for Beneath the Surface
Haarajot chapter 1 . 10/29/2023
Lovely story, a.o. for Aragorn's lone struggle, Arwen's loving support and Butterbur's care.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/14/2023
Love all the detail and thought you put into his clothing!
WargishBoromirFan chapter 1 . 1/29/2022
This was a great fic for a cold night, with enough detail on the state of Aragorn's gear to feel sorry for the researcher, and plenty of little in-character moments as Butterbur blusters his way into finding some room at the inn. Nice job!
takingoffmyshoes chapter 1 . 11/20/2019
This might be an odd thing to comment on, but admist the usual deftness and warmth of your writing I was most thrilled by the descriptions of the clothing! I've recently discovered an interest in historical fashion and costuming, and details like the felled seams and the interlining of the tabard and the points on the hose had me grinning like "aha! yes! I know what those things are!" (I'm also like "dang, why don't we make clothes like that anymore?")

So thank you so much for sharing this delightful, heartwarming, and historically accurate story! I'm sure I've read it before, and may have reviewed it (albeit under a different name, although perhaps not), but this was the first time I could fully appreciate the finer points of it.
I'm Hermes chapter 1 . 8/17/2017
The storm was easy to imagine, because I've experienced many winter storms in just the way you described them! And I loved the detail that you went into in describing both the mittens, and the Elven tunic! Such beautiful gifts from the women he loves!

It's pretty wonderful that Aragorn doesn't have to use his kingly gaze on Barliman. As you say, even though he shares the same prejudices as the rest of the Breefolk, he is at his core a good man! The minute Aragorn said he wouldn't be eating, I knew that Barliman would try to sneak him some supper!
KrnYong chapter 1 . 8/23/2016
Ahhh Butterbur is such a dear, even though he is prejudiced against rangers (as all Breelanders seem to be). I loved seeing into Aragorn's thoughts and his determinations of why he does what he does. It broke my heart when the door guard and Butterbur almost turned him away :'(
Lamelinam chapter 1 . 7/19/2016
A beautiful fic. I loved it very very much.
EmptySurface chapter 1 . 7/19/2016
This is amazing. It makes you really feel for Aragorn, and the harsh life of the rangers... poor guys. :( But at the same time, it is somehow beautiful.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful piece of literature with us, I enjoyed reading it very much!
Lotrfn chapter 1 . 3/16/2016
This is wonderful. I love your description of Aragorn and his disreputable appearance. It gives such a necessary insight into what this man endured selflessly for so long. The shirt was a brilliant idea.
wotumba1 chapter 1 . 11/8/2015
if the people of bree had any idea how much danger they are in every day, maybe they would appreciate the rangers labour a little more. but at least there are some amongst them with a kind heart - like butterbur
Hideypidey chapter 1 . 9/7/2015
This beautiful vignette is my absolute favourite story from fanfiction. I was rude enough to enjoy but not review at the time as you seemed to have stopped writing (sorry).

The basis of the story is so slight but you use it to tell us so much about Aragorn and the reality of his life and struggle. I fell in love with your Aragorn right here and you've been doing justice to him ever since with every story.

I learnt a fair bit about Medieval clothing too ;)
PSW chapter 1 . 9/3/2015
You do such a great job with the clothing descriptions - I have learned several new words and garments from your stories. :-) Also with reminders that all that wandering was just not a clean pursuit. :-P I loved the idea of Arwen's gift - it seemed very wise and very intimate at the same time...

Your Aragorn is so far very much how I pictured him after reading the books - I'm quite enjoying. Thanks!
Adaneth of Lebennin chapter 1 . 8/21/2015
This is a lovely piece. You are so apt on descriptions and very detailed on all the right things. I loved the description of his clothes, especially the shirt. It's sweet to think of so fine and useful a gift being worn close to him in his perilous journeys. I think you missed the 'w' in "wrang out the stockings," but that's the only typo I spotted.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/27/2015
It is amazing that authors like you can write of almost anything and make it so good and interesting. You could probably write of him eating that supper and it would be as magnifient as this :) great, great work! You are truly gifted.
TMI Fairy chapter 1 . 12/16/2014
Very interesting, more than I'd have expected from a fic half about clothing :)

Borys