Reviews for Beneath the Surface
ww chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
Beautiful story. You write a weary Aragorn well. I like how you described his clothing, especially the gloves that were a reminder of his mother, and of course, the shirt Arwen made for him. He is a good man, with a long way to go before he can rest.
Noleme chapter 1 . 11/27/2012
I love this story, it's both well-written and in-character for both Aragorn's and Butterbur's POV. I appreciate that unlike in many a story of a similar kind, the Breelanders are not portrayed as cold-hearted. And yay for Strider humbling himself enough to beg of Butterbur, that's a side of him I missed a bit in the actual books. Also, it's a nice and I'd say quite tolkienesque touch how you never directly mentioned Arwen's name, or Gilraen's. And the discussion on (not) washing was way too funny, and yet in a non-crude, kind way. "'I'm making an exception tonight,' he said." - LOL! Love this exchange. :D
I randomly noticed a typo lurking there - 'taut' jaw, not 'taught'.
Anyway, well done! I'd love to read an after-the-war companion piece where Strider gets to "repay the small kindness". :]
Guest chapter 1 . 9/21/2012
Love it! Omg this is amazing and probably one of my favourite lotr fics!
Glory Bee chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
I found this very poignant, a great reminder of what Aragorn endured on the road to his Kingship. I was touched by Arwen's gift to him.
Ellen.Olenska chapter 1 . 8/21/2011
loved it! I swear, you could write about Aragorn unpacking his knapsack and it would be riveting, due to the amount of detail and exposition you put into this story. The way you linked Aragorn's clothing to his memories was so evocative, very interesting- and made sense, as obviously he carries everything he owns.
Eiladwyn chapter 1 . 5/22/2011
Funny to think that Aragorn wears an outfit that seems to amount to my entire wardrobe! Thank you for sharing this :)
shyjedi chapter 1 . 5/10/2011
Oh, this is so great. As much as I love Tolkien's writings, it is nice to see his wonderful characters written about in a more modern, but still excellent way. This story and others like it are why I love fanfiction, despite all of the horrible stories. Thanks for a great read.
0tree0 chapter 1 . 4/6/2011
Wonderfully constucted, masterful command of character voice and a true pleasure to read. Bravo! I don't think I can say anymore than has already been said! The number of reviews says it all I think.

Please keep writing!

0tree0
Tunip chapter 1 . 3/10/2011
A wonderful window into Aragorn's life as Strider the Ranger. Your descriptions are as evocative as ever. Your knowledge of medieval clothing is quite incredible. Is this something you know of already, or did you research it all specifically for your fiction? I found it very informative!

I love the fact that two items of his clothing are tokens of love from the two women who love him most. I enjoyed the mention of Gilraen who I feel gets neglected by a lot of writers. 'how it had grieved her to see him weather-beaten and haggard after long months in the wild' - I can just imagine her worrying and fussing over him - no doubt trying to wash him like he was still a little boy and cooking enough food to feed an army and insisting that he eat all of it.

The shirt made by Arwen was a lovely touch. It was nice to think he carried such a source of comfort wherever he went.

Your depiction of Barliman as being blustery and seemingly uncaring but actually having a heart of gold was wonderful and again just as I imagined him.

Yours Tunip.
Vanwa Lullaby chapter 1 . 12/22/2010
:D I loved it.
Ithilium chapter 1 . 11/29/2010
This was beautifully written, and Aragorn seemed very much in character. I appreciate how you pointed out the very purpose and motivation to Aragorn's lifestyle- his fights against the enemy, his struggles, his wanderings. Even though we know he was a courageous man, therefore, would always perform his duty out of love for his land and people, in the deepness of his heart, Arwen was his highest motivation. It was for her that he did all the things he did.

Darkover chapter 1 . 11/20/2010
Dear Canafinwe: I recently read this story for the first time on the recently-discovered "Stories of Arda" website, but it is easier for me to leave a review here. I'm glad to find your stories here at FFN as well! This is a delightful story. You have a gift for imagery, you write both Aragorn and Butterbur very well-very much in-character. Also, I get the impression that the dinner Butterbur left for Strider was on the house, because when Strider told the innkeeper that he did not want dinner, instead of realizing it was because Strider was just too exhausted to eat, Butterbur assumed it was because the Ranger did not have enough money to pay for his lodging *and* a meal, too. Thus, Butterbur left the stew out of kindness and pity. For all Butterbur's foolishness and thoughtless remarks, he was not unkind, and such a generous act would go a long way toward Aragorn's feling of gratitude, as you describe in your story. Am I right, or am I reading too much into this? Either way, I very much enjoyed reading this story. Thanks for writing and posting it! Sincerely, Darkover
iiiionly chapter 1 . 10/30/2010
This was my first Canafinwe story, I'm pretty sure rec'd by Thundura Tiger, though it's been long enough now, I can't remember. I read it at Stories of Arda, back when I was new to the fandom and way too shy to leave reviews.

The first time I read Beneath the Surface, soon as I'd finished it, I printed it out and read it again. It was the little details in this story that so imprinted in my mind - the mittens made by his mother, the shirt made by Arwen, the initial brusqness of Butterburr making a ninty degree turn for the man to not only allow him to stay, but to bring Strider supper as well. I loved every word of it.

And then I found Lonely Watches and added it to my notebook to reread when I'm in the mood for exquisitely done oh-so-alone Aragorn stories.

And tonight, I see there are several more chapters up of The Valley is Jolly. I'd been checking at SoA repeatedly until a couple of months ago, and finally gave up. I don't usually do WIPS 'cause it kills me when a story I love never gets finished, but this one sucked me in right from the start. Going to read the new chapters now! And in the meantime, thank you for many wonderful hours of reading pleasure!

Tanis
miladyRanger chapter 1 . 9/6/2010
I have no words to describe just how amazing this work is. Awesome just doesn't do it justice. ... On that elusive Someday I may be able to write something like this to pay you back for your kindness to me - writing and posting this fic. This is one of the first fics I had ever read, and it's never lost that indefinable something that makes me want to read it again and again. Thank you for inspiring me, in more ways than just to start writing my own fanfiction. That's a gift I will probably never be able to repay.
Larner chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
And lovely to read this one anew, also. I bless the MEFAs for this pleasure.
62 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »