Reviews for Beneath the Surface
Eavis chapter 1 . 10/27/2009
Oh! This made me laugh and cry both. And as anyone that knows me intimately will tell you, making me cry is no mean feat.

Le hannon.

Eavis
Emily chapter 1 . 10/22/2009
Poor Aragorn. He's freezing and hungry and tired- and first someone denies him entrance into Bree, and then he can't find a place where he won't freeze to death in the night! Ouch. That really hurts.

Great story, though. I liked the last little bit. How nice of Butterbur. : )
BM originally chapter 1 . 10/17/2009
beautiful! A wonderful insight into Aragorn's character, and I'm amazed at your knowledge of such things as clothing and such. You really do have talent and I greatly enjoyed this piece and will be saving it with my other favorites. Great job!
Radbooks chapter 1 . 10/16/2009
This was a wonderful, well written story and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading your other stories!

By the way, there is a spelling error in the second sentence. It should be 'snow', not 'slow'. :)
utfrog chapter 1 . 10/15/2009
I have been looking for this story again for weeks! I loved it the first time and wanted to go back. I could not remember the author; I found this after reading your story just posted about a similar night with Gandalf.

You are a marvelous writer for Aragorn. Please keep it up.
RS1 chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
WoW! I don't know what to say. Every one of your reviewers have already said what needed to be said. This is truly a fantastic story. One of my favorites!

My favorite moment...when he had "one leg curled under him and the other knee near his chest". I don't know why but that image of him admiring the shirt on the floor...very touching.

I hope Aragorn does get to repay Butterbur for his kindness and I hope you'll be the one to tell us.
Thorongirl chapter 1 . 10/2/2009
I thought I'd already reviewed this. I was wrong. I absolutely LOVE this story. It was close to perfection. To echo a few other reviewers, I can't get enough of your writing. The beginning sets the mood so well and I can just picture Aragornn's frustration at the cool reception he gets. Thank good, Butterbur is all bluster. And beneath the surface? So many, many layers in so many, many ways! Fantastic story, my friend. Keep on writing. This is one of the best stories I've read in a long time.
iccle fairy chapter 1 . 9/24/2009
lovely little story! very enjoyable to read! :)
Just A Fan chapter 1 . 9/22/2009
This piece is very beautiful. I enjoyed how articulate it is. Your words flowed wonderfully and created very extraordinarily vivid imagery that I found very incredible. You have a gift for script and I am very happy that I managed to stumble upon this.
Inzilbeth of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 9/9/2009
This story was an absolute joy from start to finish; from your vivid portrayal of Aragorn's frozen weariness to his most interesting collection of clothing to finally the surging of hope in his heart.

One to read again and again. Very well done.
cairistiona7 chapter 1 . 9/8/2009
This could have been a dry one-shot outlining the type of winter clothing a Ranger in Arnor might wear, but instead, you've wonderfully infused the description of each stitch with the person of Aragorn. From the the first mention of his cloak flapping away from him to the loving care with which he washes the shirt Arwen fashioned for him-and the thoughts of her the handling of it evokes-we're treated to a deep and revealing look into the mind of a king in exile. Loved the way he used the strength of his gaze to cow the gatekeeper. He and all your minor characters are all very drawn. Just an excellent vignette and a pleasure to read. I do hope you write more Aragorn stories.
Aelaer chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
This was absolutely spectacular- one of the best oneshots I've read in a long, long time. You have Aragorn's personality, his looks, his whole sense of being completely down. Not only that, but your characterization of the Bree-landers, especially Butterbur, were absolutely spectacular! I loved the detail, the attention to every word- and the ending was absolutely perfect.

... you simply must write more stories with Aragorn. I do hope to see new material from you very soon.
estelcontar chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
That is a well crafted story, in which you used the small details of clothing and of a normal day in the life of Aragorn to give us a very poignant glimpse into the lonely and self-sacrificing life of a ranger of Arnor. Well done, indeed.
Marchwriter chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
A gloriously detailed and evocative piece. Your sense of medieval costume is poignant and direct-either obvious research or an insider's knowledge shows through clearly. Thank you for sharing this with us.

The only thing I would offer for criticism is remove the very last line. It's redundant.

Marchwriter
Nieriel Raina chapter 1 . 9/6/2009
This is so lovingly crafted! What a wonderful peek into Aragorn's life! Thank you!
54 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »