Reviews for Beneath the Surface
Larner chapter 1 . 8/18/2010
And lovely to read this one anew, also. I bless the MEFAs for this pleasure.
Striderette9 chapter 1 . 7/26/2010
Simply and beautifully told. This is a lovely and intimate "slice of life" portrait of the road-weary Ranger as he seeks a respite from the bitter cold of the winter storm. You paint a lovely word picture of this humble man - born to be a king - who spends countless years in the wild doing what must be done to keep the evil at bay...and all the while being sustained by the love of one who waits faithfully for that day when his labors shall be complete and they can have peace together.
Vamp.Michelle chapter 1 . 6/29/2010
Beautiful story! Okay, so it is quite weird to read this on the hottest summer day yet, but still. Unfortunately, I know what a freezing night is like, so I can relate to Aragorn here. And I think your descriptions of the storm and of the cold were very vivid.

Also, I have to admit that I never quite liked the idea of Arwen sitting at home and knitting. But you made that work for me (a miracle, I think). That totally convinced me!
LisaG16 chapter 1 . 6/17/2010
I love re-reading this story. The gritty details of Aragorn's hard life on the road is sad, but he never loses faith and continues on...that's our Ranger for you! Finding joy in little mercies like a pot of hot water for bathing, a cot of straw to sleep on and a bowl of hot stew for supper. :)
Grasspaw chapter 1 . 6/3/2010
Wow. This was AWESOME! I totally started shivering and yawning after about thirty seconds of reading this, and now I'm hungry. You are an incredible author.
Feafea chapter 1 . 2/24/2010
Very good! I really love the way you delicately wrote it! It's going onto my favorites!
Alex chapter 1 . 1/1/2010
Like Aragorn's shirt of Elvish linen, this little story is so sensitively and delicately wrought. Thank you for sharing it.
Susan W chapter 1 . 12/8/2009
I decided to try another one of your tales and I'm certainly glad that I did. This is just lovely!

There's something more to old blustering Butterbur, especially after his kindness of sending a meal up to Aragorn despite Aragorn declining it earlier.

C c cold, now! Thanks! ;)
Elfinabottle chapter 1 . 10/28/2009
You really have a gift for capturing Aragorn's life in the wild. This was wonderful. I especially liked the part about the shirt Arwen made for him.
Eavis chapter 1 . 10/27/2009
Oh! This made me laugh and cry both. And as anyone that knows me intimately will tell you, making me cry is no mean feat.

Le hannon.

Eavis
Emily chapter 1 . 10/22/2009
Poor Aragorn. He's freezing and hungry and tired- and first someone denies him entrance into Bree, and then he can't find a place where he won't freeze to death in the night! Ouch. That really hurts.

Great story, though. I liked the last little bit. How nice of Butterbur. : )
BM originally chapter 1 . 10/17/2009
beautiful! A wonderful insight into Aragorn's character, and I'm amazed at your knowledge of such things as clothing and such. You really do have talent and I greatly enjoyed this piece and will be saving it with my other favorites. Great job!
Radbooks chapter 1 . 10/16/2009
This was a wonderful, well written story and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading your other stories!

By the way, there is a spelling error in the second sentence. It should be 'snow', not 'slow'. :)
utfrog chapter 1 . 10/15/2009
I have been looking for this story again for weeks! I loved it the first time and wanted to go back. I could not remember the author; I found this after reading your story just posted about a similar night with Gandalf.

You are a marvelous writer for Aragorn. Please keep it up.
RS1 chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
WoW! I don't know what to say. Every one of your reviewers have already said what needed to be said. This is truly a fantastic story. One of my favorites!

My favorite moment...when he had "one leg curled under him and the other knee near his chest". I don't know why but that image of him admiring the shirt on the floor...very touching.

I hope Aragorn does get to repay Butterbur for his kindness and I hope you'll be the one to tell us.
63 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »