Reviews for Beneath the Surface
iccle fairy chapter 1 . 9/24/2009
lovely little story! very enjoyable to read! :)
Just A Fan chapter 1 . 9/22/2009
This piece is very beautiful. I enjoyed how articulate it is. Your words flowed wonderfully and created very extraordinarily vivid imagery that I found very incredible. You have a gift for script and I am very happy that I managed to stumble upon this.
Inzilbeth of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 9/9/2009
This story was an absolute joy from start to finish; from your vivid portrayal of Aragorn's frozen weariness to his most interesting collection of clothing to finally the surging of hope in his heart.

One to read again and again. Very well done.
cairistiona7 chapter 1 . 9/8/2009
This could have been a dry one-shot outlining the type of winter clothing a Ranger in Arnor might wear, but instead, you've wonderfully infused the description of each stitch with the person of Aragorn. From the the first mention of his cloak flapping away from him to the loving care with which he washes the shirt Arwen fashioned for him-and the thoughts of her the handling of it evokes-we're treated to a deep and revealing look into the mind of a king in exile. Loved the way he used the strength of his gaze to cow the gatekeeper. He and all your minor characters are all very drawn. Just an excellent vignette and a pleasure to read. I do hope you write more Aragorn stories.
Aelaer chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
This was absolutely spectacular- one of the best oneshots I've read in a long, long time. You have Aragorn's personality, his looks, his whole sense of being completely down. Not only that, but your characterization of the Bree-landers, especially Butterbur, were absolutely spectacular! I loved the detail, the attention to every word- and the ending was absolutely perfect.

... you simply must write more stories with Aragorn. I do hope to see new material from you very soon.
estelcontar chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
That is a well crafted story, in which you used the small details of clothing and of a normal day in the life of Aragorn to give us a very poignant glimpse into the lonely and self-sacrificing life of a ranger of Arnor. Well done, indeed.
Marchwriter chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
A gloriously detailed and evocative piece. Your sense of medieval costume is poignant and direct-either obvious research or an insider's knowledge shows through clearly. Thank you for sharing this with us.

The only thing I would offer for criticism is remove the very last line. It's redundant.

Marchwriter
Nieriel Raina chapter 1 . 9/6/2009
This is so lovingly crafted! What a wonderful peek into Aragorn's life! Thank you!
HT chapter 1 . 9/5/2009
You show more than a passing interest in what the Ranger wears under his cloak! Seriously though this is a very well written story and you obviously are very knowledgable about costume, either that or you have done quite a bit of research. I could almost feel the cold along with Strider the wya you described it and I could just about smell the soiled clothes. I enjoyed reading this and hope you write more soon.

Regards

HT
UTfrog chapter 1 . 9/5/2009
Lovely and sweet story. I love the description of the inn, of Aragorn's fatigue, and the wonderful ending.
ziggy3 chapter 1 . 9/5/2009
Ooh- I felt so cold reading this! Wonderfully written with such precise detail and richness. Loved the end.
keahi99 chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
That was so cute! I love all the details about the clothing! I had wondered what they might put on in winter and this seems to be an accurate discription. Butterbur tries so hard to hate strider but he just cant! A very enjoyable read.
black4minister chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
that was lovely-i really liked the description of the shirt arwen had made him, close to his heart forever. and the other elven clothes, even grimey, he must have been the best dressed ranger-though he was the cheiftan :-)

it was a lovely little story and i really enjoyed it, i do hope you write more.

blacky
Elenothar chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
Nice little story. I like that you write a bit more about Aragorn's everyday life and that Ranger's aren't as immune to the cold and weariness as they seem ;)
Mirach chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
You chose the title for this story very well. It goes beneath the surface, and deeply. With Aragorn's undressing are visible all the layers of disguise and secrecy that he has to take, the hard fate of being despised by those that he protects. Until the last layer - his true self, as different from the man that he appears to be in the eyes of the folk from Bree as the fine shirt made by Arwen is differnt from the other clothes. What more, there were two moment when he had to ask for admittance, where his biggest qualities were shown: first the strength of will, and then humility. These two combined make him the true king, even behind the haggard appearance. My heart ached for him when I imagined all the hardships that he had to go through, and that you have described. And then we saw beneath the surface once more - it was a nice ending with the glimpse of the softer core of old Butterbur...
62 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »