Reviews for Beneath the Surface
UTfrog chapter 1 . 9/5/2009
Lovely and sweet story. I love the description of the inn, of Aragorn's fatigue, and the wonderful ending.
ziggy3 chapter 1 . 9/5/2009
Ooh- I felt so cold reading this! Wonderfully written with such precise detail and richness. Loved the end.
keahi99 chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
That was so cute! I love all the details about the clothing! I had wondered what they might put on in winter and this seems to be an accurate discription. Butterbur tries so hard to hate strider but he just cant! A very enjoyable read.
black4minister chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
that was lovely-i really liked the description of the shirt arwen had made him, close to his heart forever. and the other elven clothes, even grimey, he must have been the best dressed ranger-though he was the cheiftan :-)

it was a lovely little story and i really enjoyed it, i do hope you write more.

blacky
Elenothar chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
Nice little story. I like that you write a bit more about Aragorn's everyday life and that Ranger's aren't as immune to the cold and weariness as they seem ;)
Mirach chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
You chose the title for this story very well. It goes beneath the surface, and deeply. With Aragorn's undressing are visible all the layers of disguise and secrecy that he has to take, the hard fate of being despised by those that he protects. Until the last layer - his true self, as different from the man that he appears to be in the eyes of the folk from Bree as the fine shirt made by Arwen is differnt from the other clothes. What more, there were two moment when he had to ask for admittance, where his biggest qualities were shown: first the strength of will, and then humility. These two combined make him the true king, even behind the haggard appearance. My heart ached for him when I imagined all the hardships that he had to go through, and that you have described. And then we saw beneath the surface once more - it was a nice ending with the glimpse of the softer core of old Butterbur...
Guest chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
A lovely piece, beautifully written.
Oleanne chapter 1 . 9/4/2009
Secrets abound! A gruff ranger hiding delicate underwear! I enjoyed the story of Aragorn finding shelter from the storm - and begging an uneasy Butterbur for any spot available in the Prancing Pony - in a lumber-room of all places. I'm sure the good people of Bree must have been suspicious of the gruff and ripe smelling ranger. A nice explanation of how Butterbur 'warmed' up to Strider.
53 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4