Reviews for Let's Talk About Sex
Alathea2 chapter 3 . 10/8/2012
Very interesting and not at all what I was expecting. Better than what I was expecting. It was nice to see someone tackling the genderless issue of the Cybertronians while simultaneously addressing gender issues of real life. Very well done, thank you.
riversrunthroughme chapter 3 . 7/15/2012
Okay since I've been reading and re-reading this story for a very long time now, I guess I should probably leave a few words to let you know how much I love and appreciate this story and all your stories as a purely hardware sci-fi fan. Seriously. Your stuff in terms of just fun, brilliantly cool, fantastically alien weirdness and diverse specific lexicon suited for the story is really just wonderful. It's like settling down and reading a William Gibson book... about Bayformers and then I just lie back and soak up the pure alien weirdness of it.

The concept of modality vs sexuality is seriously one of my most favorite headcanons in addition to EVERYTHING about the nature of the gestalts and the fragmentation of identity post-damage to them. It's really just some great mind-bending transformer-culture that hooks you and holds you all the way through and there is exactly nothing I love more than coming back to your stories and reading them whenever I lose my spark for Transformers writing.

I really do hold your stories as favorites. I'll always be reading them. It's exactly the kind of focus I want in my transformers fics - where the aliens are incredibly alien but just human enough that we can grasp them and love them. Even if we don't entirely understand them.
Desiree1717 chapter 3 . 12/21/2011
I really enjoyed this one. It's nice to read a more introspective story.
femme4jack chapter 3 . 6/13/2011
I reread this story for the third time, and enjoy it more every time I read it. Between this and the Jazz chapter in the All That You Can't Leave Behind, you have created a compelling, alien version of dimporphism that has nothing to do with gender or sexuality. Getting to glimpse humans (seeing them primarily as transports) through Blaster's optics is such a thrill to me. The best of the best TF fanfiction, imo, highlights the alien nature of the all too familiar looking forms, and when that is done well, my pulse raises and I just want more more more.

I understand Mikaela's reaction completely, however. In choosing to present as male, the Autobots are simply playing into the worst of human gender issues. As a woman, it hurts and offends. It has me wondering - if they presented as female and were still gigantic and kicked aft, what might that do to sexist attitudes.

But then again, they didn't come to Earth to fix our gender issues. They came to stop Megatron from getting the Allspark. Our gender issues are our own issue. But it does rankle me, to be honest, so I feel like Mikaela's reaction is justified and understandable, even if it is misplaced.

Also, Kudos on Blaster's physical description. So fabulously strange and alien and I love that he has reclaimed a poem from the 'Cons by tattooing himself with it. Awesome! And his symbiot's empathetic cuddles are FTW!
Steven Kodaly chapter 3 . 1/3/2011
This has been a rather intriguing intellectual exercise. The parting lines, however, have piques my interest; was something going on between Ironhide and Blaster, under the radar, as it were?
arctapus chapter 3 . 11/14/2010
first class. utterly first class. you get that they are aliens in your stuff. wonderful. I love this blaster.
arctapus chapter 2 . 11/14/2010
the usual erudite writing but an outstanding way to put the idea of gender and their alien otherness. this is so bookmarked.
arctapus chapter 1 . 11/14/2010
I love this. Having Blaster around in their original form and seeing him fit in, even with his little scorpion buddy is so interesting. Its good to see a scorpion that isn't a douchebag. :)
StarCaptain299 chapter 3 . 8/28/2010
This was really... I don't know what to say. It was - wow.

I..hmph..You got me really thinking, you know?

Wow.

I don't usually meet someone who gives me such a different point of view -and it all makes sense. Not that I've actually MET you, you know what I mean - I think.

Okay, I think I've found the words to describe how this story made me feel:

It was an eye-opener. No - a sounds more like it.

Wow!

I should really stop using that word. LOL
DamselOnDrums chapter 1 . 6/17/2010
I don't mean to sond like a downer, or a hater, I just couldn't completely follow it. I did, however, manage to finish it without a headache. :) I'm a very easily confused person, so don't take this personally - my honors English project this summer confues me to no end. Buttttt anyway, from what I understood, it was extremely well written - you have major talent.
Uniasus chapter 3 . 6/14/2010
This is a great piece of fiction. Well thought out, down to the little details of daily Cybertronian life that make is so real, plausible, and a joy to read. Everything just...fits. And it's so logical that language evolves over time, especially after something as big as meeting another species or war. You write about not just the big, hard to notice things, but the small stuff that is so common place no one thinks about it even though and entire culture is fit into it. Wonderful work. I'll never be able to get this out of my head, and I love the word 'modalitiy'. Mind if I use it sometime? Don't know if the occasion will arrive, but its a great way of explaining things.

Great work here.
chaitea16 chapter 3 . 6/6/2010
After wading through countless Mary Sue’s and overdone plot threads, finding a story like this truly renews my faith in fanfiction. Initially the title threw me off into thinking it would just be another “tee hee, let’s have the robots ask awkward questions about human mating.” Which, when done well, is a fun type of story (if a bit overdone). But this here *gestures wilding* just blew me away.

In a few ways’ it was reminiscent of Dwimordene’s Indefinite Objects in how brilliantly you conveyed fairly advanced concepts and evaluated the topics. The more societal and cultural angle you came from was beautifully thought provoking and felt sincere in its depiction. The chances you took to convey such were thoroughly appreciated as they made sense in your context and worked well to convey a uniquely novel idea.
Marinelife37 chapter 3 . 9/28/2009
I loved this story. Sam and Mikaela learning Cybertronian and finding out about their modal differences. Are you planning to follow this story up? I hope you do.
Riana1 chapter 2 . 9/10/2009
I think you should teach my gender studies class. You bring more to the table than my teacher ever did.

Poor underpaid grad that she is.
Riana1 chapter 1 . 9/10/2009
This is brilliant and for the longest time I wondered what happen to this fic- it was worth the wait.