Reviews for Family Traditions
yankee306 chapter 10 . 9/15/2009
Wow. I've been holding off on starting this story until now, and I am blown away. Reading 10 chapters straight through is intense. As great as your writing is in other stories, you've really taken off in this one. The characterizations and the plotting are brilliant. (And the citrus is scorching!)

In the beginning, BowieKnife!Mary was making me think of the AU Buffy in "The Wish," if that means anything to you, raw and harsh because she's lived in a much more raw AU world. Superficial comparison, but it reinforced the warrior aspect of Mary's character for me. Psycho!Raph is terrifying. (I'm not sure I can quite see Cristián de la Fuente pulling off something that dark, but that's ok; we'll recast his part when we get this made into a movie.) John Paul is a great addition and I love his relationship with Mary and the way you've sidelined James as the selfish gambler he is. SuperMarshal!Marshall is, well, words fail.

I must have more!
s.ryn chapter 10 . 9/15/2009
D: Oh my god, you're kind of a genius.

Update soon!
sfchemist chapter 10 . 9/15/2009
Loved the internal dialogues.

What am I saying? I loved everything, from opening paragraph to authors note!

Keep it up! (huh, suddenly that sounds dirty.)
salander3 chapter 10 . 9/15/2009
Okay. Yeah. They really don't have to say anything, now, do they? You and sfchemist can feed off each other as much as you like, as long as stuff like this is the result. I think I need a cigarette...or chocolate...
skyblueblack chapter 10 . 9/14/2009
HOLY * WOW! How have I not seen this story until tonight?

This is so well written - even though this is an AU - Mary and Marshall's characters are spot on. In particular, you are doing a fabulous job with Marshall.

One of the things I like the most in your AU is that your Marshall hasn't been pining for Mary for the last 4 years. Although they are not partners - they are on much more even footing with each other - if that makes sense. Not that I don't love the unrequited, angsty love of the series, but this is a refreshing change.

This was a wonderful suprise tonight. I was on the site looking for an update of Good Intentions. If this is what is keeping you from that story - I don't mind waiting.
Caia chapter 10 . 9/14/2009

Chain-smut-reaction is good. Definitely, very good. *grins*
superwoman1015 chapter 10 . 9/14/2009
I was wondering what was going to happen when Marshall showed up. The way Mary was thinking, this was definitely in the cards. I can't wait to see what happens when they actually talk to each other. Loved the little slice of pie here, great chapter, and I don't mind you feeding off other authors fics and causing a smut chain reaction, I don't think anyone would mind.
sfchemist chapter 9 . 9/14/2009
Is it wrong of me to like the idea of a murdering psycho Raph?
Grammar Maven chapter 9 . 9/13/2009
Oh, why do I have so little faith? Here I was worried about how this story would, or could, progress, and you've pulled the magical rabbit out of the magical hat.

You've taken something that was, what I thought, just a little lark of an AU story, and you've turned it into a dramatic must-read. I bow to your mastership!

From now on, I will read this with the diligence of the faithful, knowing the master has a plan, and knowing it's one so creative I could never see it coming!
roar526 chapter 9 . 9/13/2009
I forgot to let you know how much I am also enjoying the quotes at the beginning of each chapter. I can't help but wonder how Mary is going to react to Marshall's offer.
superwoman1015 chapter 9 . 9/13/2009
I want to know what that paper said that Marshall showed JP. I'm assuming that we'll find out sooner or later. I think I like your version of Raph, it makes it easier to dislike him. He is sick and twisted the way you've got him. Just sick. I like that Marshall actually went to JP to ask him to help find Mary, so that he could protect her. I think that's very true to what Marshall would do. great chapter. I just loved it.
Grammar Maven chapter 8 . 9/13/2009
Thank you for the key lime pie! It was very yummy indeed!

I feel like I'm repeating myself with every review, but I love this little alternate universe of yours. I love the heat between Marshall and Mary. I love the acknowledgment (and definitely the fulfillment!) of that heat. I love the interweaving and tweaking of canon and AU. Everything is done so damn very well, and it's a credit to you and your writing that you can make Mary a fugitive and still make her likeable.

I do have to confess this story has me a bit off balance, but that's a good thing. I think I'm in the same mindset as your Marshall. The inherent conflict between marshal and fugitive is one that causes me to read every chapter with that feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. At some point, one of these two has to "win." But what is a win? Is it Mary escaping? Is it Marshall capturing her? Is it hooking up randomly for the next 40 years until they grow too old to run and chase? Hm. This is what has me off balance. I see no "good" resolution. This is also what keeps me coming back for more. Well this, and, of course, the key lime pie. :)

BTW, I absolutely felt Marshall's desperation when he was silently begging not to have to be the one to put cuffs on Mary. You do so well with both characters, but especially with Marshall. And you know he's my favorite!
PollyCrackers chapter 5 . 9/13/2009
I was relucatant to read this story, not typically one for the AU game. Well, here I am, chapter 4 and still intrigued. It reminds of me of '80's TV, where it was required that every series have some kind of "dream episode," where all the characters played a different role. It's really fun. Hey, if you're going to take the characters out to play...
sfchemist chapter 8 . 9/13/2009
Another excellent chapter.

Inspirational ;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you resolve the conflict of interest between our heroes or if you're just going to have them come together sporadically. Either way works for me.

Update soon please.
PeanutTree chapter 8 . 9/12/2009
I am torn between being happy that they lurv each other and being depressed that they're continually running from each other! So many plot twists!
222 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 .. Last Next »