Reviews for Monster Lake
mousefiction chapter 3 . 4/5/2010
: Ed needs some therapy or something. Or at least someone to talk to (who isn't Dean.)

Feeding the lake-creatures Doritos! That's actually really cute and I'm glad he didn't take a pic of them.

Good job!
mousefiction chapter 2 . 4/5/2010
Sam hasn't washed since the two days he got there and he's sick? That's pretty damn gross...

Good job!
mousefiction chapter 1 . 4/4/2010
Sam-Dar! 3

"Maybe if he just held very, very still Dean wouldn't notice?" Like when you run into a wild animal and go, "Maybe if we don't move she won't see us?"

"Explaining to his brother he really did feel like crap and being close enough to said big brother for him to be able to check for a fever made him feel better would be impossible." Aw...

"The amount of teasing he'd get from that would be immeasurable." True.

I like the whole Johnprovider and Deancaretaker thing.

Grape juice rules.

Sam got a story after all. Nice.

:/ Looks like poor Ed here has some issues he needs some help with...

Anyway, great job!
Kumaproogey chapter 8 . 12/16/2009
I just wanted to drop a line and let you know that I really enjoyed this story. I was intrigued to see what was going to happen. Love your writing style and was captivated from beginning to end. Very realistic writing of the plot and the brothers.
bhoney chapter 8 . 10/13/2009
"The entire time he was tucked safely against Dean’s chest, his head against the beefy part of Dean’s shoulder, making breathing tolerable." Aw, lovely image.

"Dean managed to get his head up, coughing and sputtering, apparently trying to fight the spirit off with clever use of harsh language." LOL Too funny!

"It’d be so easy, closing the door, getting in his car, driving away. Sam would have his life back. He’d go to school; maybe get married. Be safe.

It’d be so simple, so easy to go away, vanish forever.

Except for one fact.

It was impossible.

Dean couldn’t leave his brother. They needed one another. Apart, separated, wasn’t an option. They were a team. A family." Aw. Very sweet. And so true.

"he was unsure why Ed himself had never been a target" Me, too, I was wondering that. Seems like a serious oversight on the spirit's part.

Love that Sam knows his brother so well: "Sam watched him intently. Damn, the kid knew how Dean had thought, for a minute, of driving away. Alone."

LOVED that Sam finally got to see Champ and pal. His reaction was priceless. Loved it!

Great ending, too, with Dean getting sick. *snickers*

Great story! Very suspenseful and with great characterization. I loved it every bit as much as I anticipated. I'm adding this to my favorites!

Hoping for some more Time Bump soon, too! :)
bhoney chapter 7 . 10/13/2009
"“I told him you were my big brother, and he didn’t get to have you.”

Dean couldn’t help the short laugh. “You said that?”

“Yeah.”

“Out loud?”

Sam nodded.

“Embarrassing.”

“Yeah.”

“Thanks.”" Loved that. Cute and sweet.

And I loved Sam coming to the rescue, shooting Ed and saving Dean.

And yeah, Ed's body cropping up like that-very creepy!
bhoney chapter 6 . 10/13/2009
This made me smile. Sounds like something Dean would say: "Great, Dean had traded a moody, pesky brother for a moody, irritating, creepy, sorry excuse for a friend. Except this guy wasn’t Dean’s idea of friend. He had a friend. He had Sam. He didn’t need a pack of friends, one was enough work, thank you very much." LOL

Very intense, suspenseful chapter. Love the tunnels and the rooms, learning a little about rumrunners and how they had their lairs set up. Very cool. Glad Sam got loose and Dean figured out something was going on.
bhoney chapter 5 . 10/12/2009
Why didn't Sam try yelling when Ed was on the phone with Dean in the very next room? Surely he could've managed some sort of suspicious noise.

“I don’t believe for one minute Dean would just leave. He raised me. You honestly think I’m going to believe he’d just abandon me?” LOVED this, Sam's belief in Dean. Awesome.

LOVED this too: "“Dean’s my big brother, and you can’t have him.” Sam spat out." LOL And loved how embarrassed Sam was once he'd said it. *snickers*

"Dean would be devastated despite Sam saying so many times he’d not do that again, not ever, for any reason. Despite all the times he’d told Dean he was stuck with his little brother." True. And it broke my heart to see Dean suspicious, but also doubtful, not knowing if Sam had really left or not. I wish the kid would quit doing that to him (did it again this season). *sigh*

Man, the description of Sam getting dragged through the underwater tunnels and stuff made me feel totally claustrophobic. I felt like I couldn't breathe, just like him. Great description!
bhoney chapter 4 . 10/12/2009
I'm kinda surprised that Sam didn't remember the name of the kid who egged the other boys into throwing him off the cliff all those years ago. I'd think that'd stick in your mind.

It broke my heart to see how upset Dean was over the whole thing, and to think of Sammy young and going through that, afraid to tell...ugh, I HATE Ed.

I can't believe he actually thought that Sam would believe Dean had just up and left him. I'm glad Sam never really bought that. I was a little disappointed in Sam's fighting skills. I know he's sick, but he's been on guard around that guy and he's come up against much tougher opponents in the past. I was hoping he'd do a little better for himself.

I hope Dean gets back soon and saves Sam!
bhoney chapter 3 . 10/12/2009
"The water to the creature’s left splashed and sloshed. A second head appeared. The body attached to that one was nearly as long as the first, but the face looked younger. This one’s skin was a few shades lighter, with a bit of mottling under its eyes and along the sides of its face, giving the illusion of dimples. It poked the larger one under the jaw, getting a slap from a broad, long tail in return. When Dean offered the new arrival some Doritos the first creature moved between them, pushing its companion back a few feet. Taking the chips from Dean with its tongue, it turned enough to let the younger one take the chips from it." Love your characterization of the creatures here. And I loved this: "Yeah, I got one of those, too. Pain in your tail, isn’t he?” LOL Great how you used the creatures as a foil for Sam and Dean's relationship.
bhoney chapter 2 . 10/6/2009
"Years of meticulously measuring out medications for Sam through various hurts and minor ills, and the guy now just gulped down huge swallows, not caring if he was overdosing himself or not." LOL Love that Dean seems a little miffed by this, but Sam's just trusting his brother not to let him OD. And of course, he's right. Love that Dean sets the alarm on his watch for Sam's medicine. Sweet.

This cracked me up: "He tucked the bottle of nighttime sneezing, sniffling, drug your kid into unconsciousness cold medicine into his duffel." LOL

LOVE how well Dean knows Sam: "He’d known Sam’s cold was coming on probably even before his kid brother knew himself. Years of caring for the guy and there was no change in him Dean hadn’t seen and cataloged away for future reference." Aw...

"They lived together, practically spent twenty-four-seven together. What on earth could there be for them to “catch up” on? How much more “just them” time could they possibly have?" *snickers* True.

Great line: "watching Sam do his best impression of a slug (complete with the slime trail)". ROTFL Also, eww! LOL

Oh, this broke my heart, Sam saying Dean wasn't his mom and Dean's response: "“Well, guess what, Sammy? I’m the closest thing to one you’ve ever had, so suck it up and clean up!” Dean’s voice reverberated straight through Sam, shimmying through his chest to course along his bones." Dean's right, and I felt so bad for him, it obviously hurt him, though he tried not to let it.

I love the idea of Prohibition caves or tunnels showing up in the fic.

Really enjoying this so far!
bhoney chapter 1 . 10/5/2009
"Sam worked on perfecting his sulking so he didn’t have to talk and let Dean hear the roughness from his throat." It cracks me up that Sam would go to such lengths to keep Dean from knowing he's sick.

"If he owned up now, within the hour he’d be tucked in some warm, soft bed, brought soup and coffee, maybe, if he was a very cooperative patient, a movie or book. All of which sounded so very good. He’d also spend the next month, maybe three, being scrutinized for every hitched breath, every twinge, every off sound to his voice. If Dean thought Sam was sick, even mildly so, he was relentless in his pursuit to be sure Sam got well. Not that Sam minded so much, but he felt guilty. Dean battled tooth and nail to keep Sam from ever returning the favor. Dean would drop dead before he admitted to feeling under the weather. Sam would have to drop dead to avoid the constant monitoring, worry, and the horror of Dean stuck in one spot for too long until he felt Sam was well enough to travel." Love how you highlight the differences between the boys when they're sick, and how well Dean takes care of Sam. Sam's ongoing tally of whether it was looking good for the book, movie, etc. cracked me up. Loved the whole beginning, so funny!

This also cracked me up: "Dean would take his temperature at gun point if he thought it necessary. Dean believed in tough love." *snickers* True.

"Ever since the Impala became Dean’s and their father traveled in his truck Sam had ridden up front with Dean. He didn’t like the back seat. He liked being up front with Dean. Explaining to his brother he really did feel like crap and being close enough to said big brother for him to be able to check for a fever made him feel better would be impossible." Aw...Sammy sounds like such a little bro here. Sweet.

LOVED Sam's reflection on Dean taking care of him when he was sick, his whole life. Especially this: "Dean had been the only person who ever cared for him. Their father had provided. Dean had been the caretaker. Jessica loved him, did nice things for him, helped him when he’d been feeling out of sorts, but even she’d never cared for him the way Dean had, still did. Would their father or Jessica die for him? Say and honestly mean it? As much as he’d loved them both, as much as they’d loved him, even the fact he had to ask that question gave him the answer. There was only one person who’d die for him. One person who he’d ever said out loud he’d die for; one who’d ever said it to him. They were both sitting in the front seat of this old car." Aw...I love when Sam realizes how much Dean has done for him and means to him.

"When Sam actively repeated to himself he could not step over and hide behind his brother, Dean moved again, gathered his other items, and sidled up to the counter, making himself a roadblock between Sam and the other two men." LOVE how in tune Dean is to his little bro. I have a very bad feeling about that Ed guy.

LOVE that the person from their past, the "stalker" is a guy. I totally didn't see that coming, but I love it, because it sounds like he's jealous of Sam and Dean's brotherly relationship and really-who wouldn't be? Love that angle.
Madebyme chapter 8 . 9/22/2009
Great final chapter, I liked how you wove all the different storylines together.

The action was fast paced and exciting! And I liked the comedy aspect at the end, as you gave Dean a cold - nice touch.

Wonderful story and thanks for sharing. Take care, Madebyme
carocali chapter 8 . 9/20/2009
How fun! I'm so glad that Sam got to see Champ, too!

Lots of interweaving storylines here that all came together well! Nice work!

:D
Lady Chekov chapter 8 . 9/19/2009
Aw! I am so sad that this fic is finished! I've really enjoyed it and I wish there were more. (Sequel perhaps? :-P)

This had a truly lovely ending.

Great work!