Reviews for Now All We Can Do Is Live
Dragon made of Fullmetal chapter 1 . 3/1
I'm not sure which of the two sections made cry more (cry CRY for real. Or if nothing else, that feeling of having fire in your throat), but I do knew something from the very first few lines: this... this has to be one of the BEST things I've come to read from Ed and Al.

My eyes are still teary, you know? And I feel furious with myself for being unable to letting you the long comment this fantastic story deserves, but just know that you did such a WONDERFUL job with this theory. Simply amazing.
Thank you so much! :')
katsekala chapter 1 . 2/24
It was great! Many kisses!
AmunRa chapter 1 . 7/5/2015
Very nice look into what would have been if they hadn't tried to bring back their mother. But since they mention it, I wonder what life for them would be like if they hadn't lost her in the first place...if they'd grown up with a normal family, father included.

No adventures, I guess. Their life here seems pretty dull, but peaceful.
Shinji Ikari3 chapter 1 . 1/3/2015
Once again, I'm only asking for short responses from you in less than an interval of two months. I recognize, understand, and accept you have new priorities. (Did those priorities cause you to not check your Electronic Mail on Christmas after I'd Sent you the Christmas Card I made, or did you get it on Christmas day?)

This Fanfiction made me cry. Due to my state, I'm not saying this as praise - although I'm not saying this story wasn't moving - but you should know that anyway. It was the paragraph ending with, "while all I can do is fail." You may not need to be told one or more of the reasons. I won't talk about why in something the public can see regardless.

I don't know if you intended it this way, but this story did a praiseworthy job of fitting core characterization, core character development, and core themes in the original FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST anime. (Is the first "present time" section of this story intended to take place after an alternate ending to the original anime?) This story does a laudable job of showing that, though Ed and Al lost, they also gained from what they lost. In the first "present time" section, however, if this takes place after an alternate ending to the original anime and Ed learned the same things about dreams he did in the original anime in this version of events, Ed might not be in character when talking about dreams.

This story also does a laudable job of showing that, even if Ed and Al hadn't performed human transmutation, their lives would hardly be ideal. One of the most intriguing stories I've perused of yours, if not the most intriguing story.

Paul

"Some day you too will know... The truth of time that can never be reclaimed..."-Ultimecia
DISSIDIA: 012 [DUODECIM]: FINAL FANTASY
TheWaffleMonster chapter 1 . 7/13/2012
OOooh, I like this one too! For some reason I really like the last line. It's great! But all the dialogue in this fic is amazing. And I don't think Ed sounds off at all! I think you did a pretty awesome job, so there!
kinosternon chapter 1 . 8/12/2011
Such a cool idea! I'd never considered what their lives might have been in quite that vein before. Ed being a teacher is hilarious to contemplate...not that I don't think he's got it in him, but he's got to be at least half the terror Izumi is when he's in a bad mood. XD And poor Al, that is exactly what he would be doing. Great, great fic! :D
lokobookworm95 chapter 1 . 2/10/2011
I really like this story, and I think it would be really cool if you did a crossover between them. I mean, so that they could each see what they would have ended up like. Do you think that they would be disgusted with their counterparts? I would most definitely read that story!
HolyCowWorshipper chapter 1 . 2/1/2011
I have read this one before, and I still like it very much! I like the idea of Ed as a teacher, and you pretty much predicted Al's occupation after the manga. I peaked at the other reviews and I think NewMoonGFlicker said it all about that: "Because Ed would not be Ed without his know-it-all, perfectionist attention to detail in regards to alchemy and that would surely develop into a need to educate others (so they'd stop messing it up!), and Al as the one inclined to be a protector, filled with the need to increase the quality of the broken lives he finds, with all his childhood days of finding kittens to nurture would certainly find all new levels of needing to help others. Chimera reversal was an excellent focus, but I do not doubt it would take it's toll on his open heart, every failure like a loss of his own children."

Hehe, I was just thinking about those 2 years in the manga where Ed and Al stayed in Risembool before seperating to research about more alchemy. I got a sudden image of Mustang being the one who convinced them to take some time for themselves, so Al really could recover and Ed heal to his core. You're Mustangifying me! XD
Jordanna Morgan chapter 1 . 8/22/2010
I first read this story several months ago, and it stayed with me. Glad I found it again. :) I think this is a perfect study of what Ed and Al would have become if things hadn't happened the way they did. It's lovely.
TheoreticallyEva chapter 1 . 12/7/2009
Nicely done. I think your idea of what the brothers would do if they hadn't tried to bring Trisha back is probably spot-on. But do you think the Promised Day would've been stopped without them? What happened to them is truly tragic, but then, it set into motion a lot of very important events. You know, though, I could still see them going on that other path AFTER the Promised Day. I can't quite see Ed really staying in the military (though I could see him occasionally making the payroll as a mercenary if Roy asked him to do something that needed his level of skill), but I think he would like teaching, actually (probably more than he would let on XD ), and it seems only natural that Al would take his alchemy in a rather medical direction.

Ahh. My heart just warms for these two. They are such remarkable characters. :)

Overall, good work. Insightful, well-written, AND (*GASP*) in canon! Pat yourself on the back. :D

More reviews to come as time permits. :)
animephoenix2468 chapter 1 . 9/21/2009
I love the contrasts you put in the two separate parts of the story. I'd never pictured Ed as a teacher, but I find it hard to picture him as anything except a State Alchemist. Thanks so much for this amazing piece of work.
Kryptech chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
Neat idea, the comparison of what is and "what if", with parallel elements in the two.

Might-have-been-Al's field suits him in terms of his gentle and caring nature. I have a harder time seeing Ed as a teacher, but I don't know the whole story either.

'“I know who you’d be.” Alphonse ducked under Edward’s arm and clasped the metal hand, the lingering reminder of all they’d given up for each other. “You’d be my brother.”'

Nice.
Setfiregirl chapter 1 . 9/13/2009
Oh my God. *cries*

Did I mention that you are a PHENOMENAL writer? Because, really...I just can't get over it. I've always kinda wondered about what would have happened if they hadn't tried to transmute their mother...And I really think that this is what probably would have become of them...Al is just really the type to work with trying to separate chimeras, and Ed...Well, he's kinda got that teaching vibe...
Mird chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
I love the concept. It seemed dumb at first, but as i kept reading, I really, really enjoyed it. A little more detail wouldn't hurt, but it's a oneshot and you have other things to work on.

Love it.
colorfulquirkcutieanimefan chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
Wow! This was wonderful! I love how it was written. This was such a great story.