Reviews for Those Bridges in Between
Little Kunai chapter 1 . 10/5/2013
Oh poor Hound, he sees the way things ought to be seen. Mirage and the council are the foolish ones
luinrina chapter 1 . 9/7/2011
What I never fully realized was that Mirage's - and other 'bots' - dislike of organics isn't so much born from stubbornness but programming. Normally, a discussion like the one Hound led might have swayed people to see past the exterior and try to grasp what is special about the Minerallians. Not so Mirage. Let's leave out his spark of the equation for a moment. His programming as a lord would forbid him to go astray too much. Yes, they are advanced beings capable of learning, but like a computer is programmed to do certain work, Mirage is stuck with his programming until someone puts in new programs. Put back the spark of a mech who prides himself to be who he is, and you got stubbornness combined with unrelenting programming. No wonder Hound has hardly a chance to prove Mirage of the contrary. And like it is with Mirage, I believe it is with all Cybertronians who are judgmental about organics.

The more I liked that Hound tried, even though he must know it is hard to overcome original programming. I loved that he (rhetorically) asked Mirage "What makes anyone's outward appearance more important then the spark inside?" or that he tells him there is more to love than just the physical form of interfacing. Hound has the spark at the right place, and I would think that his 'eccentricity' is part Hound's spark, part his programming. That's why he makes an excellent scout later during the war. Being able to see past the shell and discover what lies beneath is a wonderful ability and should always be nourished. I wished everyone was able to be just like Hound.
Faecat chapter 1 . 9/6/2011
I loved this for the simplicity of it. I like how you've protrayed the Cybertonians general dislike of organics through Mirage, and the small hope for change through the ever-kind and loving hound. He is just so willing to learn, understand and care, unlike others, and even despite them. It certainly adds to the development of the 'verse you have laid out. Its beautifully believable with so many twists and ups, downs and backflips, that it feels like it HAS to be real. Lol! It just hits very close to home over and over...wonderful.
StarscreamII chapter 1 . 8/10/2011
Wow. You certainly have a way with words. I think I've mentioned that before, but...wow.

The way you can so simply describe every emotion and thought on a particular subject never ceases to amaze. This is so deep and thought-provoking, and in so few words.

Great job.

Tash'arr is cute. :)
sockets chapter 1 . 11/28/2010
This was absolutely fabulous. I love your take on both of their characters, and how you delve into the prejudice. Can't wait to read some of your other stories that you referenced at the beginning of this.
1bloodtempest chapter 1 . 9/21/2010
If Mirage and Hound have been "lord and subject" for such a long time, wouldn't Mirage try to get accustomed to the organic lifeforms that Hound loves so much? At least Hound is always the optimistic one, even if Mirage is being so pessimistic. ]

I just don't understand why the Council would have the power to just order a mech's memories to be stripped of him. It's barbaric to me... but then again it's a completely different culture... and you did mention that "the classical mindset of Cybertronians was that they were "superior" to organic species", which would mean that any bot who accepted any organic species as an equal would be no better than an organic for as long as they kept those memories, right?

~Tempest
Eerie Iri chapter 1 . 8/9/2010
"There will never be any bridges if we don't build them first."

There haven't been a whole lot of words spoken, that have been truer than that.
Lecidre chapter 1 . 9/19/2009
- "There will never be any bridges if we don’t build them first."

Gosh, I love you, Hound! This is definitely my favorite quote in this one-shot. If every bot had the same values and thinking like him, there wouldn't be any war in this world. The green mech and the idea of world peace really fit perfectly together.

Aside from the endearing Hound and his kind attitude to consider the organic species as their equal, the complicated relationship between Hound and Mirage depicted here sort of shocked me. I admit I didn't see that coming - I know they're comrades and good friends, but I've never thought that they'd developed a relationship deeper than pure friendship. Well, at least it explained why Mirage was so mean to Chase in "As We Come Together". It must be very unbearable to see his former lover (or some sweet/naive bot he owned personally once) become too attached to another organic femme... Talk about jealousy. No wonder he acted like a jerk in that particular chapter.

Another amazing story you have here! Although I still want to hit Mirage in the face after reading this... Perhaps it's because I'm a organic myself so I can barely tolerate his attitude. Anyway, Hound's cuteness simply made up everything. Totally love the way you wrote Hound in your stories! He's truly wonderful!
Silveriss chapter 1 . 9/12/2009
~.~ God, I still want to smack that mech.

Wonderful insight to Mirage and Hound's relationship.
Shizuka Taiyou chapter 1 . 9/10/2009
Interesting. I would probably be doing the same thing as Hound is doing to prove to Mirage.

C.D.
Bluebird Soaring chapter 1 . 9/8/2009
What an amazing tale you have woven for Hound and Mirage. I love the thought of Hound bringing back all sorts of organic life from his travels, and Mirage (who doesn't much like organic anything) spending all sorts of money keeping those plants alive! More than a little irony there ) And Raj just doesn't get the whole loving organics thing...and this makes Hound's relationship with Chase even more interesting!
FunkyFish1991 chapter 1 . 9/8/2009
This is lovely. I like the way you've meshed the fluffy storyline with the hardcore lessons to be learned. They balanced each other perfectly in this _

It's funny how beings can be so diametrically opposed and still be friends; or even fall in love. Mirage is talking about how the organics can't love Hound like a Cybertronian can, when the temperament of The Organics ( O )is so much more similar and in many ways more suited to Hound than Mirage's. The two of THEM are so different mentally - why should the physical hold more sway?

Big thumbs up on this, and I hope you have more reviews with something a little more poignant to say than a glorified 'Uh, DUH'.

P
Chloo chapter 1 . 9/8/2009
Oh I am so glad you decided to post this! I was wondering if there was a one-shot coming for these two, seeing as how they always have this kind of barrier between them that neither one can really get over. Well, I guess Hound can, but it seems like even he has a hard time accepting that Mirage will never see his "obsessions" as appropriate. I'm still a little unsure of their original relationship, though. When you say that Mirage was amused by Hound's naivety, it's curious how Mirage would be willing to sacrifice his image amongst his peers (not to mention money) just to be amused. I'm still kind of confused about that. But I guess that's just Mirage...It seems like, especially with the romance thing (please tell me this is a precursor to WE!) that he makes decisions without fully understanding why he does them. When he grabs Hound and presses them together, his reasoning is that he's being possessive because Hound is HIS and no one else's...and then afterward they have that moment where they just kind of hold each other and Mirage maybe realizes that it goes a little deeper than that. Wow, so I don't think that any of that made much sense, but that's what I got out of this story and I totally can't wait for more development with these characters.

I love your idea of the jewelry, by the way. When that first came up in Surface of the Sun it just seemed really brilliant, because you kind of have to wonder if robots like to accessorize. I guess the answer is yes!

And is it just me, or is Mirage kind of kinky? XD
Jason M. Lee chapter 1 . 9/7/2009
Aw, Hound... *huggles*

Seriously, I think you should write a piece or chapter where someone - Chase, Lennox, Keller, Ironhide, even a Decepticon - gives Mirage a REALLY big spoon of his own medicine. Heck, the whole bottle. We have sci-fi stories where we snub our noses at those who aren't human, like the prominent signs from "District 9" and fears of machines like in "I, Robot" with Will Smith. Even amongst humans, we still look down at each other, what with the whole "barbarians" and "savages" from way back then and even still now, the various social classes as one.

It's like Prime said - they were no more different than we are.
Indigo Feral chapter 1 . 9/7/2009