Reviews for The First and the Last
Caimthehero chapter 1 . 3/30/2013
I don't like the idea of Mark abandoning Lyn. He has faced worse odds before and won. I always found it funny though that the dragon in 7 was supposed to be weaker than the ones in 6 but that was horse shit. Great fic like always you have a mastery of the depressing
depression76 chapter 1 . 5/21/2010
Oh my god...this is so sad. I can believe I cried when Mark died, the way you put it was so realistic, its as if now we know why there wasnt a tactician in FE6. and the same thing happened to me when I read that Lyn died *sigh.

anyway, thanks for writing. it's been a very great read xD
Mark of the Asphodel chapter 1 . 1/6/2010
I am uncomfortable with 'fics that portray the tactician as a character, but this is one of the best and most convincing versions I've ever seen. Your Mark is human despite his great "powers" and his conversations with Hector have a true ring of long history to them. As for Hector- he's just magnificent in this. Complex, grand, angry, bitter, weary, determined- again, very human, very well-developed. Oswin shines here, too, despite the brief role.

Love the part about Mark living in Ilia- very fitting. And that Mark is so suspicious of everyone else's motivations that he asks if Eliwood has feigned illness is just great; he's not bowled over by the virtue and heroism of lord figures, which makes sense given everything else you say about Mark in this story. As for the battle, the unexpected appearance of the dragons, and the terror they put into Hector's allies, was just deeply moving, as was the scene where Hector sees the flag of Bern above the castle. The lengthy talk between two dying men was perhaps a little unrealistic, but hey, the dying make long speeches all the time in Fire Emblem scripts. ;)

This was beautifully written, but I did catch some grammar nitpicks:

"another reason wait to until tomorrow morning at least" (missing a "to")

"I don't fell like straining my brain" ("feel")

"but his thing, unblemished hands" (thin?)

There are probably a couple more of these, and this story is so good overall that you might want to fix the ticky flaws. Finally, a particularly bittersweet line: "Don't talk about me in the past tense!"- Ah, poor Hector. But a very good story!
FluxBlade chapter 1 . 1/4/2010
Well, I put off reviewing this one for a bit now, so anyways. I really liked the fic. It has a very interesting take on the tactician and it works well here. The interactions between the two were entertaining as well as in character. I really liked how you mentioned people and gave good reasons why most of them are gone during FE6, since almost all of them are dead after this fight, including the tactician.

Thanks for the great one shot.
crazygunbladergirl chapter 1 . 12/8/2009
This was very well-written. I haven't read many tactician fics yet, but this was excellent. You kept everyone perfectly IC, and I liked your portrayal of Mark.
avi17 chapter 1 . 11/28/2009
Amazing, yet again. I say all the same things to this as I did to the last one- flawless characterization, excellent writing, and the perfect sensibility to create tragedy without melodrama. I also appreciated that you actually created an interesting and believable character out of the tactician, as opposed to making him some kind of self-serving mirror for the author as many do. I look forward to whatever you write next.
Caellach Tiger Eye chapter 1 . 9/14/2009
My word ... you've really outdone yourself in the writing of this fic.

Marvellous, that's the best word I can think of. I found Hector to be exceptionally in-character (from FE7, of course), and I loved your portrayal of Mark. The tactician was humanised in this story, one of the few times I've seen such a thing happen. He comes across as rather detached, with his greater concern for his broken record at the end - his 'abandonment' of Lyn, despite his concern for her, is testament to that. Oh, the pain of distancing oneself ... that's why he had no children, eh? Good to think of explaining things like his legacy.

As for Hector, he's as blunt yet kind, and just as agressive yet patient, as I remember him. I've never played FE6 (though I know a lot of major details, but I REALLY want to wait until it's released in English). I rather like Hector's assessment of human nature, especially regarding Zephiel - he doesn't beat himself up over saving the now-madman, stating that we can't predict the consequences of our actions, and yet still curses him. Hector is, as always, the most realistically human of the three FE7 lords - his opinion of Lyn's death, Eliwood's personality and Mark's actions are proof of it. You've really captured, in essence, who he is - I rarely see such a good portrayal of him nowadays.

There's just one thing I don't understand. Lyn was killed by the Taliver bandits? I'm not sure what happens in FE6 but ... in her A Support with Wallace, he informs her that he single-handedly destroyed the bandits personally. Unless they were rebuilt by a new leader ... but I think there should be more than one vile bandit group, anyway ...

But pay that no mind. I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and I appreciate how EVERYTHING was written - I wouldn't change a word. Nothing was really spoiled to me either, so that's a relief - just promise you won't blab about any details to me, OK? Exceptional work here - you have the potential to be a great author with skill like this.

gODSPEED!
Shadow Star.EXE chapter 1 . 9/13/2009
Beautiful. A perfect summary of Hector's final moments in FE6. I loved it.
Demoness Drakon chapter 1 . 9/9/2009
Hm, even though I have regretfully never played FE 6, from my knowledge of said game (From the Epiloge of FE 7) this is quite accurate. Lovely work, poor Mark, a fitting end for the great tactician. Screw you Zephiel, it would be nice if I could just let you die, but sadly I can't. Just adds more difficulty to recruiting Jaffar and Nino if anything.

Anyway, good work and you can now find this in my community and my favorites.

Drakon out!