Reviews for Shadows and Dust
Zinfer chapter 1 . 5/2/2011
Another wonderful story (and I loved the one before it but I didn't get to reviewing it for some reason) I loved the parallel between the brother spirits and Sam n dean. Very sweet and well done
Heartless BytchhakaHelenBach1 chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
Nice warm fuzzy. I liked the ending. You bring the brothers to life so well.
supernaturalsammy67 chapter 1 . 7/7/2010
AH LOVE IT! :) xx
Crimson Ivy chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
Excellent story! Great plot, wonderful dialogues and boys as I love them – carrying, bantering, working as a perfect team (compensating each other weaknesses).

The history of Robert and Joe was interesting and touching.

And I just loved the last lines:

"I would have come back," he whispered into the music-filled car, unsure if Dean could hear him. As they drove on, the road opening up before them, the sun chasing the shadows of the days away, the wind sheering away the dust of the past, Sam barely caught Dean's quiet, "I would have found you if you didn't."
ohgravitysonfire chapter 1 . 3/15/2010
omg i loved this so much! every bit of it! i'm NC girl born and raised so i know a bit about Civil War. it is nearly 3am...i just couldnt stop reading! i'll regret it in class tomorrow, but it was totally worth it! if this got made into an episode or something i'm pretty sure it'd be my favorite!
asdfjkl chapter 1 . 12/16/2009
xD so sweet! i enjoyed this story a lot, though the part where they were the ghosts, near the end, that part was a tad confusing.

anyway, keep writing!
Marlowe97 chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
For the Pink Floyd song alone I could kiss you. I think it was the first song I really *loved*. There are better ones, but Wish you were here is always special to me.

So, anyway, a cool story about brothers - so many actually. Really well done, the way you hooked me with the first part, only to throw me back in time ;-)

I have no real knowledge about the Civil War, except for what TV and literature tells me (and I'm not into that much 'smart' literature, like Sam would be... more's the shame) but the concept of brothers standing on opposing sides on a battlefield - that is really shocking.

Thanks for the read

Marlowe
Meggin Lane chapter 1 . 10/12/2009
I finally got a chance to read it in it's entirty.. What i loved teh most was the masterfull way you made us see the the superimposed image of teh spirits over both Dean and Sam. At least that is what my minds eye saw. And the premis tht forgiveness would be the cure to putting the spirits at rest is so relevent to the shows recent arc between the brohters.

Favorite scene: Dean playing the harmonica. 'from an ancient instrument by the caress of his brother’s lips.'

Oh, would that I were that humble mouth harp to be caressed by lips such as his!
Jester's Tear82 chapter 1 . 10/4/2009
Yay! I did enjoy it when I got to the end,

as I always do when it comes to your fics.

thanks for the entertaining lesson in Civil War

facts, I'm ashamed to admit I knew nothing about it..

(time for some American History study for me).

you manage to captivate the reader and pull them into

this world of brotherhood against all odds, I was so into

it last night but then "The End" finished downloading..

must admit your ideas sometimes surpass those of the actual show (still - thank god for the reunion eppy & double Dean) - and the hug I wished for there came true here so I can breath easier now :-) really, both sets of brothers got to me,

it was a sad reunion for robbie and joe and they deserved

to rest in peace - and teach our boys how important it is

to not leave each other's side!

this was written over a year ago? so you must be psychic?

"What would he do if life tore Sam from him? What would he do if he were forced to fight against his brother? What would he do if he were forced to kill his brother for some perceived greater good?" poignant lines & fitting in light of what we know now. you know, sometimes I miss 1st & 2nd seasons Dean so much.. before all hell broke loose.

your song choices - Brilliant! you've used "Wish you

were here" before - love love love it.

best wishes to you always,

Jester's Tear
DeanWinchesterFan1985 chapter 1 . 9/26/2009
Really enjoyed this story - I know I'm still really far behind on my reading, but haven't had much time for it. Still trying to get caught up on Desolation Angels. I'm getting there, slowly but surely I suppose. Don't think things are going to lighten up any time soon so my reading time is scarce but I still love your work - always have.

Loved this story a lot. Poor Sam and Dean, they sure get put through a lot from us fanfic writers. :) Oh well. I'm a sucker for hurt Dean and you do him so well.

I loved the ending to this one a lot. Where Sam confessed that he wouldn't have been able to stay away for too long - that he would have come back eventually. I don't doubt that eventually he would have, even if Dean hadn't come to him in the pilot. Sam might have gone off for normal, but it didn't mean he left his brother behind. His bond with Dean is so unique. I doubt he would have been able to not talk to his brother for too much longer. I loved Dean's response to that to - if you hadn't I would have found you. You always have the brothers down pact. It is one of the things I enjoy so much about your stories I look forward to your next one, when I get around to finidng the time to read again that is. I promise I'm doing my best to get caught up on everything and will get around to it eventually. :) Keep up the great work.
TheKritty chapter 1 . 9/24/2009
Loveloveloved this story!It was so full of brotherly love (and MAN I'm longing for some Winchesterly brotherly love these days *sighs*). I liked the idea of the story,it was very intresting and you described it all very also captured season2!boys very very well!

I love your writing style...there were some just beautisul and intense phrases that simply blew me away...and so dramatic and great moments like:

“’Cause I don’t want to die here.”

“You got someplace else picked out?”

“Yeah.”

“Where?”

“The Impala.”

Two hearts beating with the rhythm of brotherhood, of time, of family."

-My heart hurt reading this one *lol*

very very very well done!

Kritty
Chiiyo86 chapter 1 . 9/23/2009
It took me some time, but I finally got to read this story!

I love the beginning "in medias res", the brothers hurt and tired and thinking that they maybe won't make it out of it. As for the rest, nice way to tie the Civil War with the brothers'own story.

Thank you for another good story!
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 9/22/2009
What an intense start to your story. The brothers are wounded and we are left wanting to know how, why.

Than the brothers conversation reminding us where home is for them, together and in the Impala.

“’Cause I don’t want to die here.”

“You got someplace else picked out?”

“Yeah.”

“Where?”

“The Impala.”

Two hearts beating with the rhythm of brotherhood, of time, of family.'

When Sam said he "Always thought we’d go out…guns blazing.” - I remembered Jared saying those words more than once about Dean and Sam - not the way I want to end the show - but you were right about how much Dean would sacrifice for Sam when you wrote the ending of "Ramble On".

I didn't like Ross when you first introduced him. I don't like people insulting Dean, but at least Ross was able to get with back with his brother Frank in the end, that was nice. You do such a great job writing brothers, we had the ghost brothers, Joe and Robbie, hunters Ross and Frank, plus our favorite brothers Dean and Sam.

Love that Dean and Sam felt safe again once they were in the Impala after having the ghosts trying to affect them at the house.

Had to smile at Dean's thoughts about Sam while waiting in the library, 'He couldn’t remember a time when he was unaware of Sam. Even when Sam wasn’t around, he was always simply there.'

I liked the Civil War history that you chose for your story. I'm glad that Dean told Sam about his nightmare.

Sam thoughts about Dean, perfect - 'Where other people remembered bedrooms and meals around the table when they thought of home, Sam thought of Dean and the Impala. That was all he needed to feel at home, even after all these years of wandering.'

These lines seemed to echo the show, 'What would he do if life tore Sam from him? What would he do if he were forced to fight against his brother? What would he do if he were forced to kill his brother for some perceived greater good?'

Awesome moment as Dean and Sam became Robbie and Joe. I liked your ghosts. I like how Dean figured out what needed to be done to help the ghost brothers.

Dean's idea for Frank and Ross to have a hide out for hunters was good.

I liked Dean and Sam's conversation at the end, but also wondered, would Sam really have looked for his brother? - how much time would have passed before Sam saw Dean again? Two years of being separated (or three if one goes by the current Winchester journal) was to long already for me.

I would hope that Sam would have reached out to Dean and I think Dean would have checked on Sam, but would he have made the first move to see his little brother. Kinda a sad ending, not helped by what is happening on the show at the moment. I actually really liked the conversation the first time I read it and than got a little depressed when I read it again later. Weird of me, I know.

Thanks again for sharing another wonderful! story with us. I will check out your next one too, but is it OK to admit, a little nervous it will be depressing without Sam in it.

I enjoyed reading this story.

Until next time, take care.
PhoenixDragonDreamer chapter 1 . 9/21/2009
GODS, yes! Thank you thank you thank you my darling for this awesome and gripping fic! I always get such pleasure out of your fics and nothing I say can even come close to thankoing you for the joy you give me in the small hours...

*hugs you tight*

Mandy
deangirl1 chapter 1 . 9/20/2009
Finally getting to this! RL is well - a nuisance... Loved this! Loved the brotherly echos and parallels and the murder mystery... I wonder if Sam really would have come back. I have more faith that Dean would have gone looking, but it's sometimes easier to walk away and forge a new life, so I wonder how welcoming Sam would have been... it almost makes you glad for the YED!

Loved the little 494 shout out too!

As always, I'm looking forward to what you've got coming next!