Reviews for Miss de Bourgh in Bath
HLBr chapter 2 . 9/18/2009
:D

I'm loving Anne's characterization! You've not gotten rid of her canon characteristics, and what you add to it fits perfectly. LOve this line:

"She had no premonitions of glory or romance, or even any expectations at all, save a fine bed to rest on and a houseful of servants to serve her tea, tend her fire and bring her blankets when she requested them."

Authorial irony FTW!

I'm going to be waiting impatiently for the next.

(Er, I wouldn't call the Bennets _poor_, at least not while Mr. Bennet lives. 20 per year is a very good income, and settles them squarely in the gentry class. It doesn't allow them to maintain a house in London, and they're certainly poorer-and lower socially, of course-than Darcy, but they're not _poor_. I'm bad at figures and no expert on the times, but I've references if you want them. I'm foiled by policy on links. :()
HLBr chapter 1 . 9/18/2009
I'm so glad someone recced me this! :D

Good stories about Anne are difficult to find.

I love the characterizations, and the writing, too, is very clean and expressive.

I do wonder, what's her title (of 'but at least she had breeding and a title')?

OK, I'll go on to the second chapter because I'm extremely curious about how they will get on in Bath, and who's the gentleman Lady C wants Anne to marry. :D
Bonbonnett chapter 2 . 9/17/2009
Full marks for great research. It is hard for us sometimes to pick up on all the little nuances in Austen's work because there have been so many changes in society since then. Your discourse on the degrees of medical men is excellent. They were gentry of the middle class, but not Society. Hard for us to understand these days when Doctors are often very well-off, and lawyers even more so. Not the way things were in those days when these were people who lived comfortably, but who were not considered to be wealthy.

I like the way you are working with Anne's character. She is really very naive about the world around her. I seem to detect signs of an awakening coming on. Hope for more soon.
AngusH chapter 2 . 9/17/2009
A most interesting start, Anne is such a sadly overlooked character in so many ways and I look forward very much to seeing more about her.
Bonbonnett chapter 1 . 9/13/2009
Dear Lady Catherine, what an interesting study you have made of her with her second-hand hypochondria. Poor Anne, I hope she will be allowed to enjoy Bath-such a truly lovely place as it still is!

Incidentally, I don't think I have ever seen it mentioned that Lady Catherine evidently married beneath her station. For all her pride, her husband was only a baronet-very much a lower branch of the nobility-perhaps he had money.
275 | « Prev Page 1 .. 9 16 17 18 19