Reviews for Gone Native
bluebear77100 chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
Your story couldn't have happened since in the episode, Alastair tells Dean that John never broke even after 100 years. Alastair even notes that it was supposed to be John who was to be the righteous man who broke the first seal but he never took the deal.

But that's not to say your story wasn't good. It was an interesting take on what could have happened. Keep writing!
1983Sarah chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
Really good! I like that idea a lot. I've wavered back and forth as to if John broke or not. I have a feeling he did, but as to how or why he would then be able to go to heaven, I'm not sure. But I still firm in believing Dean was the only one that could break the seal.

Sarah
AllieMcD chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
i loved this and I completely agree that John probably went native and also I don't think he was a righteous man considering how revenge driven he was, I love Dean in here and it being through Alastair's pov, he was such a great bad guy
sela117 chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
I also found it hard to belive that John lasted 100 years, it just didn't make sense with what we've seen of the man. I had never though of John "going native" but now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense. I only hope that the show addresses it at some point. I'd love to hear the real story, not Alastair's version.

Great fic!

Sheila
Thru Terry's Eyes chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
The pain in Dean’s eyes took Alastair’s breath away, as always. So intense, so beautiful, so flawed.

Hell I can't think of anything to say...
PhoenixDragonDreamer chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
I am with you there...and we all know Demons LIE! I often thought between what Meg said aboutJohn being in a box and Al said about how HE (specifics) couldn't break him - that something else may have happened. What Dean did was phenomenal - holding out that damned long? Damn... An yeah - Sam and John weren't righteous, unfortunately - they were driven for vengance - Dean was caugh in the crossfire - there fo his family, willing to do whatever it took for his family...THAT is righteous!

Thank you for this delcious and oh-so-awesome fic darling! I am a keepin THIS bad boy!

*Snuggles*

Mandy
SciFiNutTX chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
Interesting take on this, one which not many people have explored. I have wondered why everyone assumes Alastair, a demon no less, was telling the truth about John not breaking. I would've thought he would break. It's the nature of Hell, after all. Everybody breaks.
dnachemlia chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
"I don't believe that John was the righteous man. "

HA! I've been thinking that for quite some time. Glad to see someone else had the same idea ;)

Good story, and totally believable.
Marlowe97 chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
Thanks.

I always doupted Alistairs words. Maybe not to the extend you did - but ho, that was fun! *grinswickedly* - but more in the line of... maybe he DIDN't offer that option to John. MAybe coause they already knew he wasn't the right man. That John wasn't rightous int the required way.

So maybe he was tortured, maybe he had spent so long on the rack (though how the hell could he escape than?) - but it was just never his place to break the first seal.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be able to hold out longer than Dean - no judgement, because Dean is Dean and not John - but I'm pretty sure Alistair was a lying f...reak!

Demons lie. And he sure as hell enjoyed mindf...ing Dean while in the trap.

So I agree with you - and I'm surprised and delighted that you went even further and made him accept this just like that. Fun - dark fun, but fun ;-)

I'm sure though that he would have held on longer, if he knew his kid would take his place :(
Merisha chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
Yup, agree one hundred percent! Alistair was a lying bastard ... and demons lie. Plus Alistair would definitely have to find a TRULY righteous man to break the seal, which couldn't be just every second person that went to hell, otherwise the seal would have been broken ages ago LOL :D - finding a purely righteous man must be almost impossible, and I love that Dean was that man - John (whom I love to bits) was (if anything) self-righteous LOL XD

This is exactly how I would have seen things playing out :D - Wonderful stuff :D

Hugs and luv

Mish :D
Through-a-doorway chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
I badly speak English, therefore I apologise for errors.

I think, to John did not care. Quite probably that it has sustained those hundred years but then he did not care. It has been broken initially. From Mary's death. He even said somehow that the death of the wife has almost killed him. He loved it. And he loved the Dean and Sam. That Dean has almost died, has finished John. That fact that its crusade has almost killed his son. That It has almost killed the son. Therefore to it was all the same. And they should break the person. John did not approach for this role.

alike
graceofgod chapter 1 . 9/16/2009
I love the idea that John could break so suddenly, and yet still not quite give them what they want - the way you write this makes that seem apparent on two levels, first, his complete 'blankness' that just seems to infuriate them, and second, the fact that he isn't the righteous man. I hadn't ever thought that Alistair might've been lying when he implied that John never broke in the century he was in hell, but it's an amazing idea and it seems so damn obvious now!

The way you write Alistair made me cringe (in a good way!) and laugh all at the same time -he's just such a nasty sonuvabitch, and that really comes across in your characterisation.

One thing has got me scratching my head though - I might just be reading it wrong, but Dean had already sold his soul when the Devil's Gate was opened!
67impalalover chapter 1 . 9/15/2009
yay! great job !
Ster1 chapter 1 . 9/15/2009
Ha! I so totally agree! John, Kripke's "borderline psychopath" as the righteous man? Oh, please...

I love your take on John-he did strike me as a very practical, tactical sort of guy. And I could see him doing whatever was needed for his sons. Very nicely done!
UnholyMuse chapter 1 . 9/15/2009
I like this explanation a lot. It makes a heckuva lot more sense than John withstanding the torture for 100 years without breaking. It also explains how the bastard made it out of the damned gate when it was only open for a few minutes. (I'd always wondered how the writers would explain that away).

I have a few theories on what really went down with John:

1) what you've described here is how it really went down. John went native and WASN'T the righteous man at all. I lean towards this one because I think that he and Sam were hunting for all the wrong reasons, whereas Dean really did hunt, selflessly, to save innocent lives;

2) John was already broken in spirit and therefore there was nothing TO break. Mary's death really did seem to crush the man and I've considered the possibility that when he went to Hell to save Dean he just didn't have anything to fight for anymore and so just... gave up? This also seems quasi-likely, though it doesn't explain how he got out of Hell. Then again, John seemed a little stunned when he got out of the gate, so who knows...? Maybe he just sort of stumbled out (not being watched by anyone inside as they all tried to scramble out)?

and the least likely, though probably where the writers are going with it:

3) John is the toughest sonofabitch on the planet and he actually withstood 100 years in Hell without breaking. As improbable as it sounds, in a way it makes a scary kind of sense. John was a TOUGH bastard. He fought off possession by Azazel. I can't think of ANYONE who could do that (heck, even the Priest was possessed in a damned monastery!). Maybe John being tough enough to withstand 100 years in Hell without breaking also suggests something of his freaking hardness as a man in general. Heck, maybe him being Mr. Can't-Break is part of the reason Dean DID break - because John tore at that poor kid's damaged psyche with his AWFUL brand of parenting so that, when he didn't have Dad and Sam to fight for, Dean pretty much broke apart. A boy that pretty doesn't look into a mirror and "hate what [he] sees" without some serious scar tissue fueling that kind of self-hatred. And heck, his dream self confirms that Dean believed their father loved Sam but not him. Maybe Dean was the one that was already broken...?

This review has turned into a damned novel, I realize. Before it stretches to _Clarissa_ lengths, let me just say that I like your explanation best.

Awesome one-shot!