Reviews for Knit 'n' Lit
Anon chapter 7 . 10/28/2014
I'm currently in the middle of reading Mansfield Park for the first time, but I've watched the 2007 movie 3 or 4 times and the 1999 one once. I was talking to a friend who reads every Jane Austen book every year, and it sounds like the 2007 movie is more accurate. In the 1999 one, Fanny agrees to marry Mr. Crawford, and then breaks off the engagement. That doesn't happen in the 2007 movie or the book. Wouldn't Betsy want to watch a more accurate movie?
lizb1813 chapter 24 . 9/1/2014
Oh wow. This was totally awesome. I can't describe how much I enjoyed your adaptation; the curve balls were awesome, and the story's flow never stuttered. Major props. I really hope that you're authoring books as well as teaching nowadays,
StoryPirate chapter 1 . 8/2/2014
I just have to say that I absolutely adore your Jane Austen stories. I've read All is Not Fair in Love and Baseball three times (or is it four?) and this is my fifth or sixth time reading Knit 'n' Lit. I've read Through a Different Lens twice? thrice? and your other JA stories once, though I'm currently reading Cooking With Miss Woodhouse for the second time. You have such a magic when you write. You suck a reader in and they're instantly in your characters' world. I love it. Continue your great writing, and thank you for sharing it with fellow Jane Austen fans!
wonderwoman1970 chapter 24 . 7/16/2014
great story loved it
wonderwoman1970 chapter 17 . 7/15/2014
aaaaawwwwweeeee sweet Uncle Art
wonderwoman1970 chapter 14 . 7/15/2014
I really just love this story...just saying
carmen.aleman.399 chapter 24 . 7/6/2014
Awesome story, this is one of my favorites. It's very different from other modern stories, but that's one of the reasons I loved it.
LoveLoverGrl chapter 24 . 6/8/2014
I absolutely adored this! Love it. It surprised me again and again!
StoryPirate chapter 10 . 6/7/2014
So... This is my third time reading this story, and yes, I did just finish reading it for the second time about a week ago. I wanted to pay more attention to Mark and Betsy's relationship this time, so that I could get ideas on how to write the couple in my story (don't worry- I'm not copying anything, and mine is a completely made-up story). I love your Jane Austen stories- you do a fantastic job! Also, I never thought that I would strongly dislike Charles/Kevin, but you make me not like him very much. I'm glad you focused more than other authors on the fact that he did a really crappy thing and left her without a word.
Lisa Cooper chapter 24 . 4/5/2014
"Knit 'N' Lit" was a fun story. It had a fullness to it. The story seemed sufficiently complex to be realistic. I enjoyed the variations from "Pride And Prejudice" that you used to modernize the the story. Your variation was quite entertaining. It was also fun to read about Michigan, Ann Arbor, etc. because I've spent time there, and it brought back some memories. Thanks for completing this story, I know teaching and school is quite demanding. Your efforts were very appreciated. L. Cooper
Julianabr chapter 24 . 1/5/2014
Really funny thing about this story. I started to read it a while ago, but put it down because I didn't really like it. Then I started it again and it is now one of my favorites. I found it improved on closer acquaintance. :)

So many things to like about this story. I think the most unique part are the quotes from Mark's (the Darcy-esque character, though I use that term lightly) books, articles and blog postings. On the one hand, they serve to give us a deeper understanding of his character even while the story is definitely told from Betsy's point of view. On the other hand, they are usually very insightful comments on Jane Austen's writing. They are interesting completely apart from the role they play in the novel.

I also like that strange self-awareness of being the story of a girl named Elizabeth Bennet (after a character in her mother's favorite book) falling in love with a boy who is a college professor and expert on the writings of Jane Austen.

I also found the characters in this modern retelling much more developed and much more real than most. Though they reference their counterpart characters, they are very different in many ways.

Thank you, kind author, for all of your hard work. This was truly enjoyable!
je buurman chapter 24 . 12/24/2013
I love, love, LOVE your story!
I don't usually like modern adaptations of P&P very much, but the knitting part of this caught my attention as I am an avid knitter myself. Oh, hang the whole stigma against knitting before you have grandchildren! I mean, I'm barely eightteen which causes people to talk of me as a 'teenage knitter', kind of like one would talk about a teenage mother. Really, is it quite that incriminating for a highschooler to be caught in a yarn store? Quite ironically it are the biggest critics in my life who are the main driving force behind my knitting, for I live in the mother of all disfunctional families and would have long since lost my sanity if I couldn't relieve at least some of my stress in the wonderfully monotone activity that is knitting.
Anyway, now I'm ranting while I planned to say something useful. Your language isn't exactly stellar, which you have probably heard before. Your errors are mainly spelling mistakes, and then mainly the kind you make by relying too much on an automatic spelling corrector, like exchanging definitely and defiantly. Your sentences are well structured though, so for people who don't mind bad spelling particularly much (like me) it isn't annoying to read.
The idea of putting P&P in the modern world is perhaps not the most original one, but I love that you really gave your own twist to it. Your characters have a mind of their own, you dare to give your own interpretation and change things. It is a risk you take there, but it does your story good.
What I love best about the whole thing however is the amount of reflection on P&P and Austen's other works that you show. Those small excerpts from Mark's articles are wonderful. You really know your stuff and I enjoy and admire that.
Thank you for bringing this wonderful story into the world!
- Je Buurman

PS: I'm dutch, but I swear, the moment I read that Mark hates the dutch soccer team I swear I fell even more in love with the guy than I already was!
Maybloom chapter 24 . 7/22/2013
such a great story! Normally I dont read mordern Jane Austen Storys, but this one is great. You know so many things about literature!
VaNhi chapter 24 . 6/15/2013
It's a really really good story! I love it :)
VahNi chapter 2 . 6/13/2013
Yann Tiersen is amazing! I saw him in concert and it was perfect!