Reviews for The Finale of the Ultimate Meta Mega Crossover
loebel.marvin chapter 3 . 6/4
Wow... Awesome!
Guest chapter 3 . 11/30/2015
Don't some of the anime characters speak Japanese not English? And I imagine some of the other chaps don't speak English at all and use a device to interface. So clearly the English selecting part was irrelevant since you could just force the language on them.
mutecebu chapter 3 . 2/23/2015
Oh my golly the ending was sadder than I expected. A great thought-piece.

"Neo! We need CPR here!" - I laughed out loud.
mutecebu chapter 2 . 2/23/2015
Merlin - Ha! Love the Amber reference.
...
Huh. Now I'm thinking of the whole Amber series being in a computer simulation, and it makes a delicious kind of crazy sense.

And, was that... Mr Rodgers? XD

I'm assuming Alice is the one following the Rabbit.
john wittle chapter 3 . 6/7/2014
I think you misunderstand what Egan's dust theory actually meant, EY. And I don't think you've actually proven it to be magic, either, though I admit that might be because I haven't read Judea Pearl, and don't grok the connection between causality and computation. But:

When Durham was being run on multiple computers, the whole idea was that there were certain particles, separates from each other in space and time, which were computing his thoughts. The reason that computation lead to his experiencing the events of his life was because of two things; the specification of what defines a particular computation, and the actual content of the universe (as seen through the lens of the specification we selected). Now, in the standard specification, we say that if certain particles are arranged a certain way, then those particles consistitute a logic gate, and if you arrange certain logic gates in a certain way, then that constitutes the calculation "11".

I think what Egan was pointing at is that our specification is no more privileged than any other internally consistent specification. That is, you might construct a logic gate out of particles which aren't causally linked, so long as the outcome is the same as if they *were* causally linked. I.E. you might consider a specification where a logic gate is made of one particle somewhere in Jupiter, another somewhere out in the interstellar space between Sol and Alpha Centauri, another deep inside the Earth, etc. and so long as that logic gate (by your specification) behaves correctly, then it doesn't matter that the particles aren't causally linked; they can still perform calculations.

That is, our current specification says that if you arrange certain particles in a certain way, that this makes the particles into a XOR gate. Another specification might say that if you arrange particles in a different way, *that* makes the particles into a logic gate. Egan's Dust Theory seems to claim that any specification, any way of looking at particles, that ends up being consistent with mathematics, is necessarily as valid as any other specification.

I see there being two major flaws here: 1) a specification that sees Jupiter the planet as one enormous Turing Machine, computing (say) the Fibonacci Sequence, is necessarily more complex than our regular specification, since it has to describe a lot more than just the laws of physics, and this counts against it. 2) If you're going as far as to postulate that every possible way of combining all the particles in the universe into a computer *is as valid* as the way the particles *actually are arranged*, and therefore that any sentient being being computed by those possible-configurations has experiences, it seems like you could go a step further, get rid of the particles, and just say that any sentient being in a universe describable by computation on math, has experiences.

I can answer these quibbles, though... 1) if there is some way to configure the particles of Jupiter into a giant Fibonacci machine, then the specification which views them that way will be more complex, true, but the *arrangement of the particles* will be simpler, and it seems as though the total complexity of 'framework' 'content' will be the same.

I don't know. It seems to me that the notion of "computation" is, to me (and Egan), a mystery, and that when the mystery is dissolved this whole snafu will go away, and also that Dust Theory is a clearcut example of trying to do tricky things by manipulating black boxes of confusion.

My only quibble with the actual story is when it is claimed, "why would beings compute random programs they found inside of other programs?", because in order to compute the outer world (Earth) they must have necessarily computed the inner world (the first 30 seconds of the Elysian launch). Unless you meant, why would anyone have computed the Elysians past the first 30 seconds, in which case, never mind.

My question to you, then, Eliezer, is: if I read Pearl, will the nature of computation stop being mysterious?
Professor chapter 3 . 12/11/2013
Holy Mother of God... do you realize what you've done? You have created the crossover-fiction to end all crossovers. And Maria's explanation of how this could come to be... Well. It's turtles all the way down, boys.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/17/2013
The warnings are well deserved. Failed to review the first time... this story deserves more reviews. Also... all the other characters are begging for explanations as to how each of them escaped from their levels.
MondSemmel chapter 3 . 10/8/2013
Mind blown.
Well done.

Minor criticism:
(From the POV of the story, you absolutely needed tons of fanfic cameos, but I still wish there had been a more succinct way of including them without so many one-line appearances. Could maybe have made for a shorter story with the same impact. The result was still awesome, though.)
Mavarax chapter 3 . 8/18/2013
That was surprisingly beautiful
Irregardless chapter 3 . 7/16/2013
Not sure how this only has 25 reviews, it's incredible. Well done.
fractalman chapter 3 . 5/20/2013
I have one thing to say:
WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT WASN'T MADE ON CRACK!
:D
linkhyrule5 chapter 3 . 5/1/2013
Down the rabbit hole, eh?

Probably not a lot here you haven't already heard, so I'm just going to note that having the Second Sorcerer's apprentice along makes perfect sense and also says worrying things about certain patches of the multiverse.

(Also your Doctor just cracks me up...)
Guest chapter 2 . 3/14/2013
Wow, this actually is a memetic hazard. I thought the description was an exaggeration... this is fic truly worthy of a one-boxing, AI-boxing, genius. I swear that wasn't sarcasm.
Yami Vizzini chapter 3 . 9/9/2012
Well, that wasn't so much the finale as "the end of one of the middles", but pretty neat all the same. To say much more I'll probably have to reread a few times.

Full disclosure: I found the Jehovah reference rather jarring in what was so far an enjoyable romp- but it got back on track, and the Squirrel Girl reference was still pretty funny, so what the heck. (Let's just say we have different outlooks on certain topics and I just came here to read an entertainingly bizarre crossover. Which I did.)
Guest chapter 3 . 8/9/2012
"Tvelve! Tvelve vorlds! A-ha-ha!"

genius.