Reviews for The Finale of the Ultimate Meta Mega Crossover
Yami Vizzini chapter 3 . 9/9/2012
Well, that wasn't so much the finale as "the end of one of the middles", but pretty neat all the same. To say much more I'll probably have to reread a few times.

Full disclosure: I found the Jehovah reference rather jarring in what was so far an enjoyable romp- but it got back on track, and the Squirrel Girl reference was still pretty funny, so what the heck. (Let's just say we have different outlooks on certain topics and I just came here to read an entertainingly bizarre crossover. Which I did.)
Guest chapter 3 . 8/9/2012
"Tvelve! Tvelve vorlds! A-ha-ha!"

genius.
Xan Avalon chapter 3 . 4/8/2012
Out of all the gin joints in all the world(s), you brought Jake Stonebender from Callahans. Not Mike! Who is evidently also a god now that I think about it...but Jake. Thank you. I bow in your general direction. :)
adamjb chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
Really enjoyed this (relatively) short read. Surprised it doesn't have more reviews. I'd ask you to write more, but I understand that this kind of story can be difficult to keep going. Easy to lose reader interest with that many characters running around, and difficult to get or keep any kind of plot.

For what it's worth, I think you ended it very nicely. The last sentence pulls does a superb job of pulling things together.

I also didn't realize that you were the author until after I had finished reading. I've been reading MoR for a while, but I was brought here by TV Tropes Mega Crossover page. I don't understand why you have two different accounts on FFN though.
Cho Cozi Seyunolu chapter 3 . 4/3/2012
This should've been the real ending to Permutation City. Top notch.
FeepingCreature chapter 2 . 1/31/2012
Also: I don't know who the character with the shaved head is, but the 40 percent of neutrinos thing is a property of Scrith from Niven's Ringworld series.
skeptical scientist chapter 1 . 1/24/2012
The memetic hazard warnings were WAY overblown. Also, the author has clearly spent too much time thinking about Solomonoff induction, and is beginning to take it too literally (it is, after all, only a formalism).
FanBoySalami chapter 3 . 10/30/2011
Thank you! More so than HPMOR, this story makes me realize I am not alone. I also hope to transcend / move up a level, and the overlap between people who have this ambition and people who use enough technology to have a non-negligible chance of succeeding is small. I think I want to feel safe in this Universe, even though that would be boring. Anyway, good luck with your quest.
7ly chapter 2 . 8/31/2011
"One of the other suits made a brief motion through the air," weren't they in space? So "void," not "air," I would think.
Minerva McGonagall Rox chapter 3 . 8/26/2011
That was awesome. I've had so many daydreams involving characters from a load of different stories all interacting with each other, and you wrote up one that was both great fun and an interesting thought experiment.
Budding Rational Mormon chapter 2 . 7/22/2011
I feel like a lot of my ideas that have been bouncing in my head have been done before. This story is the crowning event of my imaginings. I couldn't have written it better.
JenniferRM chapter 3 . 6/26/2011
I love the contrast between this story (me giving it the 11th review) and HP:MoR (most reviewed HP fic on the site). I first read this story back when it was posted on LW in 2009 but didn't understand that reviews were so appreciated back then.

Re-read today in part to compare and contrast with Methods of Rationality and still find it quite tasty. You can stop and think about nearly every line and find an amusing reference or angle, and the density and depth of the puzzles is hard to beat :-)

Philosophically, it seems to me that Maria should assume everything is running using Platospace (rather than there being an actual substrate where someone is implementing everything) and then focus on the cardinality of various structure's being embedded in one another, across the full span of Platospace.

In any case, the specific lines I was looking for this time were:

Miles Vorkosigan looked around the room. "I know a lot of us have

a problem with shutting up and getting out of the way - including

me - but those of us who aren't computer specialists really do

need to shut up and get out of the way. This universe seems like

Spock and Belldandy territory."

"But -" began the boy with the scar on his forehead.

"Sorry, no buts!" said the man in the bloodstained sweater. The

man's word seemed to settle the issue; there were reluctant nods

from around the room.

The puzzle: Precisely *which* Harry is the one who tried to object, and does the presence of *a* Harry in this story mean we should predict anything in particular will eventually happen to the Harry in MoR...

Thank you for your excellent puzzles :-)
Steel General chapter 3 . 6/15/2011
For anyone curious, the exhaustive character list already posted was missing the woman with a blood-red dart in her eye; she is undoubtedly Phèdre nó Delaunay of the Kushiel series by author Jacqueline Carey. She is the protagonist of Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, and Kushiel's Avatar, and a major character in Kushiel's Scion, Kushiel's Justice, and Kushiel's Mercy. These books are excellent combinations of romance, adventure, mystery, and political thriller. They are also decidedly oriented towards adults rather than children (mature themes abound).
sketerpot chapter 1 . 4/8/2011
I read this several months ago, and it's one of my favorite short stories ever. I'm pretty sure I lost sanity points from reading it. Or, possibly gained sanity points. Hard to say.

This fanfic is the standard by which all other existential vertigo is measured.
MaximilianShade chapter 3 . 11/15/2010
Your blendings of fiction with intellectualism fill me with glee. GLEE.

The fact that I recognized 80% of the characters referenced only adds to the effect.

As soon as my work life stabilizes a bit more (probably not until late next year, honestly, but, still!) I'm going to be making a donation to your organization, Mr Yudkowsky. Not only because I've now gone through all the fiction works you've put online that I can get my hands on, but because I agree with the stated goals and ideals of said organization.

Anyway, in short, please both continue to focus your efforts on the concept of friendly AI, help us to -achieve- it, AND write such excellent excellent pieces as this. Would read more. Would throw money at it. Would by a bound copy of HPatMoR. Thank you.
37 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »