Reviews for Embers
Silvermoon of Forestclan chapter 91 . 8/2
Wow, I loved your fic so much! And when I say that I mean this is not my first 4am since I started reading this fic.
Thank you so much for writing this.
Brytte Mystere chapter 4 . 8/2
I'm a bit lost. What, exactly, went on with Ping?
TheTallTree1 chapter 6 . 8/1
I saw that Star Wars reference "Only imperial firebenders are so precise" laughed for about five minutes. I'm now envisioning that guard as a more Asian Obi-wan Kenobi.
Twilight Dusk chapter 52 . 8/1
Kenshin!
yslana chapter 91 . 7/31
Um. Holy crap.

Embers is one of the best stories I've ever read. I don't think I'll be able to watch the show again without your interpretation of events in mind. All the history you've created to flesh out the four nations is probably going to be my headcanon for the rest of my life.

Thoughts, I have lots of them.
-I like that everyone has their own motivations that don't necessarily mesh up well.
-Fantastic job at creating the history & backstory for basically everything. I love the concept of loyalty and how it played into the story. All the discussions where the characters hashed out differences between their cultures were just so interesting. Loyalty and deals/balancing debts were my favorites.
-Thank you for sharing so much of your research sources! I don't usually care for long author's notes, but it was fascinating to get a glimpse into the thought process behind story decisions.
-Iroh and Amaya were cute. Something about the fire/water couple being older and having more common ground just made me really fluffy-happy.
-It was rough reading Katara's reactions to Zuko in the middle. Like Zuko, I was fooled by her reasons for healing Iroh and letting them go, and coming up against that later... You did a great job explaining where she was coming from, but she was so blind to other perspectives for so long that I actually started to wonder if she was meant to be an antagonist. I'm happy with the way things ended between them, sort of a wary reliance, but that was a long and difficult journey. Kudos for writing it so well.
-Ditto for Aang. You've plucked all the things he does in the show that I disliked but was able to overlook because the show *wants* you to, and looked at what they all mean together, especially to people of other elements. He had a lot of growing up to do and it's clear that it doesn't all happen in Embers, but by the end I feel like he's on the right track.
-I really like the way you wrote Azula. The way she tried to look out for her people after Amaya put up the bulwark in her mind tugged on my heartstrings a little. I had to keep reminding myself that it didn't make her a good person, but that's exactly how I imagine Mai and Ty Lee might have felt as she slowly changed. It comforts me to see her grow and take steps to protect her people from herself - Mai's suggestion about children was eye-opening for me. And Shidan being there for her even when he didn't approve of her actions was good. You've given her a much more satisfying ending than canon did.
-It was really impressive how adroitly you handled such a large cast of characters. I barely even noticed how many there were until Langxue and Saoluan showed up. They were sort of the straw that broke the camel's back, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to care about them, especially since they weren't directly tied to any of the main characters at first, and yet it was no time at all before I was invested in what happened to them.
-Yaoren. Wow. I sort of shrieked silently to myself when I saw your note about "all four elements" and you did not disappoint.
-Spirits, too. I like the approach you took with them, versus what canon dealt with. All the precise rules instead of (from my memories of the show) emotion-driven interaction. Wanting things to be how you think is right doesn't necessarily make it so.
-Dragons! I heartily approve of all the changes you made from canon in this regard.
-I would love to see more of Teruko and Shirong, and Zuko and Toph (I loved seeing them happy together; they need to hang out more, and hug more, and it'd be cool to see them take care of Asagitatsu together), and Sokka and Temul (I desperately want to know what happens to Sokka in the future as a Water Tribe warrior basically expected to be a chief one day when now all of a sudden he's the heir to a Fire Nation domain after being adopted by a cranky ghost). If you have plans or ideas for any of these things, I hope to see them someday.
doraemax chapter 79 . 7/30
"If you threw sparks when you got stressed, you'd want some space too..."

Outsiders looks at Fire Nations behaviour and only sees rigid and unreasonable customs... but i loved that some of these 'proper' and 'rigid' behaviours are borne of very practical purposes. Like trimming a great-name nails with rock. Iroh deflect and says it's a customs created out of respects for dragon...In actuality it is because a Dragon-child's nails, like a dragon claws is easiest to be trimmed by rocks...hehehe

I wonder how many other traditions or customs have practical reasons behind it?
Orion's Left Arm chapter 22 . 7/26
Shirong IS a Yāorén! I knew it!
I think I'm kinda starting to ship Min and Mai now...
what stone ring?
Theseus329 chapter 28 . 7/24
Why is it that in every single good long AtLA fic I've ever read, Kyoshi is at least somewhat evil? Was I missing something when I watched the cartoons?
EvilAngel310 chapter 91 . 7/22
Wow. This is the second time I've read this fic (first took me three days, I loved every second), and it just gets better with every pass. The amount of worldbuilding, research, and intricacy of detail is absolutely astonishing, and the lack of shipping is a breath of fresh air. (Though was I reading too much into Toph's comment about a red cord that won't burn . . . ?) Reading your authors notes, at several points you had me pulling my hair and going 'I know, right?!' over all the plot holes and inconsistencies you pointed out and played off of. God, those have bothered me for years. And though you were a little unfair about some of Katara's character flaws, you used that change of her attitude to good effect. I think I can safely say this is my absolute favorite A:TLA fanfic that I've ever had the good fortune to stumble across.

So, I guess what I really want to ask, is can I have this in book format?

~Evil
Artemis Jane chapter 77 . 7/18
This is my account name btw, just too lazy to log in. Ok, Aang needs to get his butt kicked, he's delusional, and Kataras only helping him. That relationship is so unhealthy. I want to see Toph kick Aangs butt and knock some sense into him. You write people so accurately, and observe them as if you were a psyche major. You're descriptions remind me of why I don't like people. Even if I don't like people I LOVE this story, and Sokka, and Toph, and Zuko
Dearest Destiny chapter 28 . 7/16
What is Zuko categorized as in TVTropes?
I've read this story, in its entirety, multiple times and I love it. My advice for new readers is "keep in mind it is an AU story." Personally I liked the middle (10 through 36) best, but the whole thing is really cool.
Dearest Destiny chapter 13 . 7/15
Wait so is Zuko a waterbender or firebender? What does it mean that he will never be who he was before Yue ripped out his scar? I'm confused
ronandhermy chapter 91 . 7/15
Hello, I just wanted to say that this story -this epic- was an amazing read. Although, to be honest, the word amazing just doesn't seem to do it justice. I will forever be in awe of how well you constructed not only the different bending philosophies, but the cultures and the people who live each cultures tenants. Not only that, but how you handle the spirits and the spirit world stuff because it's very easy to make things like that unbelievable or a roll your eye "sure, a spirit said so" type of feeling. You made the spirits and what they did and why feel very real, along with how people would deal with it. Also, why the Dai Lei were given so much leeway in the city and all of these parts of the world that the Aang Gaang wouldn't see, or couldn't see, because it wasn't what they were looking for or would have noticed. You brought characters to light in very thoughtful and believable ways. Every chapter I felt like I was right there, watching and reacting as others would in that situation. And I like how you brought up consequences and the fact that war is messy. It's not honorable or good and at the end of the day people end up dead and sometimes that's just the way things have to be. Plus, it was good that you highlighted that there have been 100 years of war but the war has touched people and places at different times and in different ways. I mean, the Fire Nation colonies alone bring up larger issues and implications with their assimilation of those born of Earth. Just, thank you doesn't seem like it's enough for such a gift of a story. But thank you is all I have to give. So thank you for sharing your talents and your story. It's been a journey and it's been wonderful to walk it with you.
8,057 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »