Reviews for Common Ground
Ergoemos chapter 1 . 3/15/2011
Well, to start, I will admit no particular knowledge of Wicked, other than it has to do with the evil witch of the Wizard of Oz, and that she had a son.

I do, however, know quite a bit about Harry Potter. I don't claim any sort of "Master" knowledge, however.

The first thing that struck me as odd was that you implied that the Whomping Willow was inside the Forbidden Forest. I didn't recall that ever being the case and decided to research it. Apparently, it was not in the forest itself for either the movie or book, but it was inside the forest for the game. So nothing canon-breaking, but off for those close to the non-game material. Even then, it can easily be explained as part of the changes along with including Galinda into the universe.

Another point that seemed rather, um, strange, was when Galinda called Ron a "lazy and unappreciative *human being*". If it is there related to Galinda's background, but most human beings don't refer to other human beings as "human beings". Nothing major, and I easily took it as being related to Galinda.

When Ron says everyone hated Galinda, I was hoping for something like, "Her voice turned quiet and surprised" or, "Haughty and disbelieving." Something. I wasn't so sure how she was actually reacting from the line given. Not anything vital, I had not been sure how to take it.

As far as dialog goes, I also thought when Ron was playing dumb to Galinda's guilt, it seemed rather... unrealistic. I mean, Ron is not a paragon of intelligence, but he is empathic. I wouldn't imagine he would continued sounding almost harshly standoffish when someone who has said, "I lost my parents this summer" even if he didn't understand how it was "my fault".

I thought the dialog naturalized as the issued turned back to Ron's issues. Until then, I was uncomfortably disliking Ron for being such a distant jerk.

Other than the issues mentioned, the story was strong. I liked it, and thought it was well worth the read. I liked the beginning characterization of Galinda, and thought she was a far more fascinating character than I expected.

I also thought Hagrid was spot on and humorous as usual. And including Thestrals was interesting and relevant, rather than other punishments I could imagine.

Over all, a good story, with a few moments of personal iffiness. I want to say that I always want to say that if I sound harsh, I mean nothing by it! I am purely just one guy with an opinion. Overall, I approve! Have a great day! chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
aaw. sweet and also sad. i think ive foung a new pairing. Gon. at least galinda has someone. even thought thats probubly not what you were going at.
galinda glinda chapter 1 . 12/25/2009
cute. i enjoyed reading it.
Baeden chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
That was really good. I loved the way you just wove her (Galinda) in, without really changing to much of the universe I also really liked Ron's narrative voice thing. [/literate]

Great story, Silver!
brilliantblonde chapter 1 . 10/4/2009
neat story:) - you combined two of my favorite tales :) - it was well written:) keep up the amazing work:)

Cerulean City chapter 1 . 9/27/2009
Wow, Silve, that was so good! Like, unbelievably good. It was riveting and engrossing the entire way through, honestly.

I really don't have much to say but to praise you the whole time, although I think maybe some of your dialouge tags were a bit off. They seemed a little jerky in places, but that didn't really detract from the flow of the work; it actually enhanced it. So, great job.

Really. Galinda and Ron and Hagrid were spot on. You wove them all together like they had always been that way. -wistful nod-

Good luck in the challenge, dear.