Reviews for Harry Potter and the Price of Being Noble
Bailey Matutine chapter 18 . 2/12/2010
My suggestion for a prank to play on the Dursleys would be to weaken the stairs so that Dudley falls into the cupboard when he goes stomping down them in the morning. This prank can be improved through the simple expedient of a sticking charm on the mattress in the cupboard, and a few touches to make it more obvious that a child had been living in there, so that they get reported to child services when the person they get in to do repairs comes and looks. Of course, Vernon might try and avoid that by doing the work himself, but if all of his measuring equipment keeps changing on him, nothing will fit right and he'll have a devil of a time fixing it himself. Also of great potential is to charm the wood on all of the steps to change color slightly every so often. They'd all continue to match, so it wouldn't get noticed until some of them were replaced... and suddenly were the wrong color a few days later. And if the numbers of all the repairmen in the phonebook except for one were changed to various emergency service numbers, not only would they annoy the local policemen, firemen, and emergency medical personnel, they would have to keep calling back the same repairman, who would soon come to the conclusion that they were nutters. What's more, if the same repairman truck kept showing up at the Dursley residence, well, what would the neighbors say about what might be going on there?

Really, my best advice for the pranks is to, instead of doing lots of small ones, stack them together to make one event cause endless trouble, as it's less noticeable as a caused thing and also more aggravating in the long run.
Tribernator chapter 18 . 2/12/2010
A list O' pranks. Im going for annoying little things, that keep happening and can drive you insane if it doesnt stop.

1) Creaky floorboards, and squeaky tiles. Everywhere.

2) Fingerprints that are wiped away then reappear. Preferably matching petunia, dudley, and vernon of course

3) Clothes that dont fit, and indeed, change in how they dont fit. As an example, my jeans tend to fit me fine in the morning, but halfway through the day I find I need a belt to keep them up. Do something similar here, only more varied. Sleeves are a bit too short. Pants too loose/too tight. Shirts that are tight across the middle, or buttons that refuse to line up properly. The same pair of pants that needed a belt one day, suddenly seem to shrink the next time they are worn and cant be buttoned.

4) Bug infestation that keeps coming back. Having to have an exterminators van in their driveway three times a month would be VERY embarrassing to the dursleys. Not too mention gross as hell for petunia to see roaches crawling on her kitchen floor.

5)Mail problems. They keep getting other people in the blocks mail, and theirs gets mixed in with others. Forcing them to go door to door either returning others stuff, or trying to find their own.

6) This one might be tricky, make the fridge give out during the night, just for a few hours. Long enough for the food to start to spoil faster. Then the fridge is working again when they wake back up. They wont know why their food is going bad so quickly and be forced to waste alot of cash replacing it, or on repairmen that cant find anything wrong.

Things like this would probably be best. The goal, at least to start, as far as I can tell is to annoy the dursleys and cause a little embarrassment from time to time as well. They cant be too overt, and they cant use the tried and true abuse of muggle artifact items like shrinking keys and such, as that would be too obvious to anyone who bothers to check. So stick with severe annoyance as multiple little things all happen constantly to drive them all crazy. Hell, the squeaky creaky floors alone would be enough to drive me up the wall if it was happening all the time.
Maltor chapter 18 . 2/12/2010
I think the whole 'walking through the open mouth' thing is a result of the movie, which did not have a full statue, but instead just his face carved on the wall.

I like the little complications to keep adding to this, like with the Twins noticing something more was going on with Harry and the girls. Can't wait to see what you have happening with the Dursleys.
lonewolfno1 chapter 18 . 2/12/2010
Hm. A prank for the Dursley's with no signs of magic. Well, technically Harry's Parslemouth abilities aren't classified or tracked as magic. Makes me wonder how Petunie or Dudders might react should they return and find a few new house guests inside at our hero's request.

Aside from that, I'm loving this and looking forward to the next part.
Cateagle chapter 18 . 2/12/2010
Well, there's the possibility of intermittent shorts developing, magically, in various electrical and electronic devices; those are common enough that magic would not be suspected. By the same token, an aging charm applied to light bulbs would make them burn out faster and, perhaps, transfiguring the gas inside an incandescent light bulb to a turn to a suitable butane/air mixture after a certain time could be a right blast. Now, depending on Vernon's car, the old-fashioned muggle bit of mothballs in the gas tank is always good (the naptha raisese the octane rating, but burns rather hotter and wears the engine out). *wicked cackel* If they have air conditioning in either home or car, a bit of gum or goo pluging the drain under the condenser can cause all sorts of havoc in car or home.

Just because I've read about these methods and seen others used at college (back in "the day") doesn't mean that *I* would be the kind to do such a thing; well, not immediately, as the dish is better served cold.
CHEEKY-HERMONIE chapter 17 . 2/11/2010
update soon love it
old-crow chapter 17 . 2/11/2010

Your discussion of the elves between Hermione and Fleur was reasonable without beating it to death. Hermione would logically follow up with Winky and try to help her.

I've enjoyed the pace that your story takes as well as your decisions about how to explain the relationships.

Regarding the map, Harry has yet to demand it back. I haven't read a story where he did, either personally or with Dumbledore's assistance. Junior could stall and make an excuse or two, but what would happen if Harry was persistent?

I'm curious - at this point, how well do you have the third task thought through? What will be different and what will be the same? Naturally, Harry would come to her aid if she were attacked. If they concluded that Krum was inder the Imperius curse, would the task be called off? I don't think thats happened before. It would be pretty ironic if Snape or Filch was tasked to go pick up the cup at the end of the failed event and went flying off.

Alas, my mind wanders.

All the best,

Mr.Destructo chapter 17 . 2/10/2010

awsome story so far love the whole 4 way bond and cant wait till ron finds out harrys got all 3 chicks D

ps ron sucks and gets all beastle with a niffler in his bumhole since it pays ron gold
Saberdragon Entertainment chapter 17 . 2/5/2010
This is a great story. I can't wait for the next chapter. I hope you include the "TV night" soon. What can I say? I'm a big fan of the Doctor. Keep up the good work!
MrNeedsToRemoveAllFavs chapter 1 . 2/4/2010
Even if this is just an overview GIANT WALLS OF TEXT are still bad.
Sapphire Warrioress chapter 17 . 2/3/2010
Excellent story. I like your characterizations and the different twists you've thrown into the plot of Goblet of Fire.

Your development of the Veela culture is very original, as is your characterization of Fleur as an intelligent kind and thoughtful person. That's something Rowling didn't address in the books.

I also thought Fleur telling Hermione about the house elf's need to work was a great idea, though I've seen the same explanation in other fics, you made a believable comparison between an elf's integral love of work and a human's need for affection.

Even though I think the magic which binds elves to be wrong, I thought you handled that issue very well.

Looking forward to the next chapter.
TxA-GunFighter chapter 17 . 2/3/2010
Very good chapter to a fine story.

Kortir chapter 17 . 2/2/2010
Excellent story. I think I'm really going to enjoy reading from here on out- just found it today.

I love stories with the Delacour sisters, I think they're very interesting characters to write. I was a bit disappointed with having Hermione thrown in- I find most H/Hr fics exceptionally boring- but Fleur and Gabrielle make it much easier to read and take away a lot of the focus otherwise put on studying and reading and not being different than any of the other hundred thousand H/Hr fics out there. No offense meant to fans of the pairing, just personal opinion.

I do very much like what you've done with the story. The house-elf explanation is straightforward and sensible, and works quite well in place of the other explanations I've seen before (the popular one usually being that they need the magic of having a master in order to stay alive).

I love the working in of the Chamber of Secrets to the story. Most authors don't make much use of it and don't explore the myriad of possibilities it's useful for, and it is rather nice to see someone besides Snape taking care of the Basilisk parts. It's wonderful to see Sirius and Remus in more central roles as well, I hope that they'll both be nice and stay alive. I've never believed in the so-called 'necessity' of killing a character, especially someone who should be central to Harry's life in place of his parents. And I hate that over the years, the frequency that they both survive seems to have plummeted in fanfiction. Both of them are awesome.

Best of luck writing, and I'll keep reading! Thanks for a great story so far.
BioHazard82 chapter 17 . 2/2/2010
Another great chapter.
everpresent chapter 17 . 2/2/2010
Good job on the elf bond.

Not sure where you're going with the stuff in the chamber, but I'll be patient.

Snape, though... that can both go better and worse. Better with his girls calming him down, but worse if his insults get them riled up.

You're writing a helpful sympathetic Dumbledore, which makes the Snape situation complicated. If he is not happy about the Dursley's, and is dealing with it, then what about Snape? Is he really ignorant of it? Is Albus really doing as JKR said at one point and teaching his students how to deal with a Bastard in real life?

Acually it would be fun for Gabrielle's father to be there some time when Snape lets go one of his insults to Harry, especially if Gabrielle is the recipient.

4,414 | « Prev Page 1 .. 238 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 258 .. Last Next »