Reviews for Harry Potter and the Price of Being Noble
lord Martiya chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
About the Elf Bond, I think the wizards actually CREATED the House Elves that way: powerful enough to do the works, and forced to do so and love it by their very nature and a bond feeding them.

That's the only logical explanation I can think at Dobby not disintegrating Lucius Malfoy a long time ago...
GinnyLover14 chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
It does make sense for the elves to be that way. They have enough magic and there is enough free elves that they would be rebelling if there wasnt a good reason for the bond.
damon blade chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
Great chapter and a nice touch on the House Elves as it gives a reason for their hardwork and their life stile, do keep up the worn and post more soon, can't wait to see what Harry well do to Molly if she meets with him at the plateform at the end of the year.
ARedHair chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
I like your explanations for both the House Elves and Harry's problems in potions.

Your explanation of the House Elf bond is better than the usual idea of the bond being necessary for the House Elf's magic. Its easier to see it evolving and is better at explaining the different reactions of Dobby and Winki.

The dirty cauldron is a great explanation for Harry's problems in potions that is contestant with his better OWL scores - the examiners would have provided clean cauldrons.
sheltie chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
Great chap I like your explanation of elf bonds, it was very interesting and a lot better than in the canon. Keep it up I can't wait for the pranking of the Dursleys.
jafr86 chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
Great Chapter, I actually like how you handled the house elf bonding.
Edmond O'Donald chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
Jan. 29, 2010

By and large, an excellent chapter. I really think you're doing a great job, considering how hard it is to resist the temptation to simply have Harry kill Snape outright.

Anyway - regarding the elf-bond issue, I like to think that the elves are somehow symbiotically connected to wizards. They serve human wizards because they directly benefit by extended lifetimes and because human magic helps to feed their own magic (which is different in kind, but not really in use). In some ways, it's like the fire-ant (sp. Psuedomyrmex) and the Swollen-thorn Acacia bush (sp. Acacia), where the fire-ants guard the bush and allow it to grow and thrive by attacking any animal/bird/etc. that brushes up against or in any way touches the bush and in return, the Fire-ants live inside (at the base of) each thorn.

That's my $0.02 worth on the subject. I've never seen a really good explanation - except for once, where the writer intimated that more than 10 yrs before harry & co., elves somehow partnered with the wrong group during a war [the writer suggested that it was the Goblins] and they lost. When they did, the price of loosing was permanent indentured servitude. Seems a *little* far-fetched, but I suppose it's as good as any.

Good luck with the next chapter! I look forward to reading it.

Regards,

the_scribbler
azphxbrd chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
Good chapter,I think its great that Fred,George,and Ginny treat Harry as a friend unlike Ron.I Ron ever go to pull his head out of you know next chapter.
fledge chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
Your house-elf explanations are a real stroke of genius! You are very right - that topic is extremely poorly presented in canon, and it's high time someone looks into it. Very believable and makes a lot of sense.

Wonderful mix of fluff and homour once again, and the scene with Snape is fantastic.

Why do I have a feeling that Harry's harem might not be quite complete yet?
ILikeComps chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
Good chapter and Harry seems to be adjusting to his bonded. The elf explanation worked out well and did tone Hermione down. Thanks for sharing!
Akujin666 chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
First of all, regarding the Elves. I think that you did a really good job in explaining. It makes sense, for most House Elves that we meet (which isn't really many at all) they seem to enjoy working, and even appeared insulted when Hermione started leaving clothes around for them. Winky's obviously devastated about being let go, but other than Crouch's obvious strick standards that he holds himself and those around him to, he never really gives the appearance of a bad master to Winky.

Dobby's the only aberration that we meet. And maybe other abused house elves would want away from their current masters,and be more like Dobby (perhaps not in personality, lol). Wanting to work, but unwilling to be bound into a situation that could be like before.

On top of all this, in the books, you never really see Hermione researching house elves (to my recollection), she just continues her compaign to free them, blindly, not really considering anything but her own desires. I think the whole house elf situation was right botched up on Rowling's part, however, in the greater "scheme" of the books, their situation isn't really important. (Only Dobby.)

Anyway, onto the actual review, I suppose. lol

Good chapter, I like all the interactions going along. Although, if Hermione were showing Lupin around, wouldn't people wonder why he was there? Wouldn't the twins think to question why he was there to prank Harry's relatives? Especially since they couldn't know that he's not going back. (Or could they... I just realized I cannot recall the situation clearly.)

Hurray for Fleur and her vanishing of the evil mails! Though... I always wonder when people do that in fics (does it happen in the books, I don't think it does), but what happens if there is good mail in the mix? What if Hermione were to get a letter from her parents?

Heh heh, Sirius' special cleaning method. I'm hugely curious as to what's behind that rune.

LUNA! Hurray! Poor Gabrielle, an odd conversation, indeed. _ lol!

I don't see why it has any bearing on one Molly Weasley, who Harry is dating. Maybe a letter of concern sent to him, if she truly believes that Veela are evil, but to send him a howler to berate him? Alas.

Welp, that's it. I look forward to the next chapter,

-Sam
Irishfighter chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
Awesome chapter
Slytherin66 chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
Thank you for mentioning the true forms of the Weasley’s Nifflers. Well done Fleur in setting Hermione straight on house elf’s Hermione’s over zealous moral code and desire to always be right and follow authority blindly is the reason she would be really bad as a bond mate without others to balance her out and why without a change in her attitude Harry would be better off bonded to just his Veela ladies. The elf bond was explained very well glad Ron’s presence was minimal if there is any justice let Molly suffer have her house fall down have the garden pests ambush her and beat her up anything. Fleur was in good form this chapter Luna was odd I did not think she would care how Harry treated his date which was bad but people trying to kill you will dampen the mood. Great chapter I look forward to the next.
Vilkath chapter 17 . 1/29/2010
I am not exactly sure why Harry and Co. are sitting around hogwarts taking all that abuse when they really don't have to. Especialy Snape, isn't Dumbledore supposed to be 'on harry's side' now, as proven by the whole Dursley deal? So why is snape still running around abusing harry, why is he still respecting his authority and going to his class at all? He's not learning any more then he would reading a book and following the dirrections, can't possibly have more accidents then brewing alone.

Over all I never understood the 'keep ignoring the bully' crap people feed Harry. It works in real life to a degree, ASSUMING the bully will eventualy leave you alone and find a better target. The problem is Snape HATES harry to te point he will never tire, reaction or not, and will only esclate his actions towards harry. To sit back and take the crap is not the noble thing to do, it's the stupid thing to do. Either strike back and remove Snape as a problem, or don't go to hogwarts/class/potions etc.
Aaron Leach chapter 17 . 1/29/2010