Reviews for Strangled Ebb
nerdsrock chapter 1 . 6/19/2013
Ha! I knew it was the sea witch!
GalanthaDreams chapter 1 . 11/24/2011
More powerful and evocative than most novels today.
applepielover chapter 1 . 12/6/2009
I really like this. I didn't even expect the twist, but the way you pulled it off was well executed. Good style and flow.
FaylinnNorse chapter 1 . 10/23/2009
Whhoa. Clever. That was really, really clever.
Rosa Cotton chapter 1 . 10/10/2009
Oh wow! That twist caught me completely off guard. Loved the style, the flow of this whole piece. How blurry truth and lies have become that they cannot be pulled apart. Brilliant job done!
Mockingbyrd's Tune chapter 1 . 10/9/2009
Gasp. Didn't see that coming.

The style of the story - with the subthemes in italics - was appealingly straightforward.

Great work! - M.T.
Clar the Pirate chapter 1 . 10/2/2009
"(I am lying.) I am compassionate. I am kind. I am good. I am innocent. I am naïve. I am pure. I am in love. I do no wrong." is one of the best things I've read in ages. The rest was excellent as well but it was that paragraph that got me.

You deserve all the points, bonus points, extra bonus points, and brownies you can handle.
Mazkeraide chapter 1 . 9/30/2009
Wow. That was really interesting. The twist at the end was entirely unexpected, although I did wonder at Sym, who had all the symptoms (no pun intended, but that's actually quite funny) of the typical "little mermaid"- the sore feet, the muteness. I really liked how the whole story wasn't told, or maybe it was, but from a different point of view.

I just really liked this. I can't wait to participate next time!

Mazzie
Pimpernel Princess chapter 1 . 9/29/2009
Again: welcome back!

You find the most facinating new facets in fairytales. I thought that in this case, it was interesting that not only did the mermaid change her fin to legs under her own power, but that she also was able to keep her voice.

Beautifully done! :D

May the muse be with you,

PP
Proud Titania chapter 1 . 9/28/2009
Wow! What a phenomenal story, with a wonderful twist ending. I really enjoyed it, and love how short, yet poignant it is. Congratulations for not only using a brilliant new take on the Little Mermaid story, but for practically inventing a new short story format!
slipshod chapter 1 . 9/28/2009
dig dig DIG IT. i love this witch; she is so very wicked and smart and deluded and the little mermaid always was kind of a pansy anyway. very nicely done.
ElvishKiwi chapter 1 . 9/28/2009
This is perfect. It really is! The writing and the character and the story all breathe of lies and self-deception - the prompt could have been written for this story rather than the story for the prompt. It's perfectly gorgeous.

I love the ending. It's truth and it's lies, and they've become so mixed up that I'm not sure if even she can decide if she's really happy or not. Or maybe she is just lying, and she knows it.

I love the switch between past and present tense. It gives the whole thing a four in the morning feel - like she's lying in bed thinking it over and running time through her head again and again until she herself is not quite sure which version to believe. And in some ways she's convinced herself, but she's never quite sure if she's telling herself the truth anymore. She's never content, because there's some part of her that's always doubting herself.

You've done everything and more with this. It's fantastic. I utterly adore it. I think I'm going to print it out and hang it on my bedroom wall.
45692-358923-09 chapter 1 . 9/28/2009
-hums "Cold as Ice"- I like the parenthetical-ness. If I were more myself I might be able to dig up some proper terminology, but I just got back from camping so my brain is mushy from campfire smoke and s'mores. So I'll just keep humming. This was awesome and creepy and I didn't see the end coming. So yay you!

Captain