Reviews for Because of Houdini
DeansBabyBird chapter 2 . 11/6/2013
Okay so I liked Sam a bit more in chapter two
Such a shock for Jess, she took it well.
DeansBabyBird chapter 1 . 11/6/2013
So I went backwards and came to this story after reading one chapter of the sequel cause it felt like I needed to understand the start and I was right.
It's hard to read...not cause it's not good, it is, very good, but just because it's bleak and sad and such a hard life. I think your Dean is very dignified but then sometimes people with long term conditions find that dignity despite the cruelty and crapiness of their illness.
I don't exactly like Sam for running away but I understand him and his desire for an absence of disease and it's symptoms.
It's a tough, challenging read. Well done
Neshomeleh chapter 14 . 11/17/2012
Thank you for this nice different story, you did a great job
ackeberlynn chapter 13 . 4/20/2012
Have I reviewed yet on this story I've read at least 5 times? I don't remember.

I think the thing I love most about this is how you've been able to tap into the reality, not only someone who is sick with a terminal disease, but also someone who grew up with a sibling with such a disease. The depiction of the hospital visits as something so normal for them - the memories of when Sam was a kid and didn't understand the seriousness of the disease - that was spot-on. And you ALSO tapped into how an outsider would feel, looking in on such a relationship and situation, through the incredulous eyes of Jess. And you did it all while keeping everyone in character, which is incredible.

You really portrayed the humanity of it. Because the truth is, it isn't easy living with a sick person, or taking care of them; it wears on a person. Emotions come out and reveal both the darker and lighter sides of our nature. And you just captured that so perfectly here.

I also appreciated how the brothers each were able to experience a taste of what the other goes through, so as to better understand and appreciate each other. Loved that.

And generally, I loved reading a fic with a vulnerable Dean who is still in character. And Sam taking care of him. Awesomeness. Awesome job.
ABundleOfDaydreams chapter 6 . 1/17/2012
Sebby-chan3000 chapter 14 . 7/29/2011
awesome story
Brightshadow-chi chapter 14 . 3/3/2011
loved the story and your writing style ;)
okayokayokay chapter 13 . 12/14/2010
WHOA. This story is amazing. It's been on my list to read forever now and I'm sorry it took me so long:) But seriously, I don't even have words- so many things about this made me happy. And now there's another fic that I have to catch up on!
Stoneage Woman chapter 13 . 7/30/2010
This was beautiful. Angsty, heartbreaking, just the way I like it. Thanks for a great read!
aXforamnesty chapter 14 . 7/19/2010
lol! and it's AWESOME!
jenelric chapter 13 . 6/18/2010
I always love it when fanfiction authors write stories based on real conditions. I've heard/read glimpses of CF before, but I've never really understood what it was, so this was very eye-opening for me (like these kinds of stories usually are).

That being said, I think you did an amazing job with this idea! You're a great writer, and overall, this was a very powerful story. I couldn't help but cry throughout the final chapter.

And the symmetry of the beginning and end was perfectly done!

Overall, this was wonderfully done! I hope you do end up writing more in this 'verse!
alunaluna chapter 13 . 5/17/2010
an infinite cry ,is a very sad story. is excellent.

sorry but my inglish is not soo good
oakandash chapter 13 . 5/3/2010
Very nice job - I really enjoyed your take on it.
BranchSuper chapter 13 . 4/27/2010
This was awesome! I don't know anyone with CF, but a friend's son died of muscular dystrophy and the same type of family dynamic manifested - you caught the very essence of it beautifully. I'm glad that Sam & Dean will soldier on together and hope you will write more of these stories. And now, I'm going to check out what else you've written - I think I will like it.
colorvoid chapter 1 . 3/20/2010
Wow, what a beautifully heartwrenching story. I gotta say, it really gave me a new perspective of life with a disease like CF - both for the person with it and the people taking care of them. The emotions, the anger and sadness and pain that the characters went through felt incredibly realistic. And I especially loved that both Dean and Sam were flawed in subtle ways that I couldn't quite pinpoint but which you were able to define so precisely in the final acts of your story that it felt like a true revelation.

You put us in both their shoes with your writing and when I found myself sympathizing with one brother over the other, you turned everything on its head and really threw me into the other perspective. And Jess felt tangible, again understanding and selfish and loving all at the same time.

Thank you for writing such well-rounded characters and treating this subject with so much sensitivity. I look forward to more stories in this 'verse.
299 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »