Reviews for The Weight of Water
amyh52 chapter 1 . 2/20/2014
super
SoRightItsWrong chapter 1 . 7/25/2010
Well gosh. Let me start on my apology right now. I'm seriously so sorry I haven't reviewed any of your epically amazing stories in months. I have read them, and gushed over them, and then went back and did it all over again. But it seems in the grand scheme of things that's all I've had time for. (Excuses have always been somewhat of a forte of mine.) Anyways here I am begging for your forgiveness. (Yes, melodramatics is something I also learned at an early age.)

Regardless, you will now be getting at least five separate reviews in your inbox, all because of my neglectful ways. (Please God, never let me have children. I'll forget to feed the poor things or something.)

Anyways on with the actual review. Out of all of your stories I cannot pick a favorite one. At the time of course, while avidly sitting at my computer, I think, 'for sure this is my favorite.' Then however I go on to the next one and think, 'no wait this one.' It's kind of like musical chairs for me, except it's your stories. Each one has a different style I suppose. I mean, in the end they all turn out simply beautiful but for different reasons. For example, this story... it just has so much detail, all tightly packed into each sentence. And that's not an easy thing to do. But as people say, 'each picture is like a thousand words' well each sentence of yours is worth a thousand words. (No one ever said I had great analogies!)

Honestly though, I don't think I could pick a favorite part to review. You manage to get your point across, that yes, Casey has been legitimately hurt by these guys in her life, even Derek, yet he's still the one whose always going to protect her. (And that's something that we don't get to see in the TV show. I mean you never truly see the impact that these boys have on her life except on the surface.) It's through your writing that the hurt that not only Casey feels but Derek feels, is shown.

Plus, you manage to incorporate these wonderful (and sometimes less than wonderful) memories that Casey and Derek share. And there real (these moments)... the hula hoop(s), the obstacle course, Casey's (astoundingly) short skirts, (and how can we forget) 'same difference.'

There's this sense of Derek's heartbreak in this story, because to him, I'm sure the one thing he wants so badly is the only thing he can't get. So he has to watch her make all these new memories with different guys and that must hurt him immensely.

A few of my favorite lines. (Because I just can't help myself ;)

1. Like, if he'd only been listening harder he might have heard something other than "same difference". Like maybe if he'd looked harder, there would've been more than just a bare kitchen, a single light bulb and the sound of something breaking. (It's like their whole relationship was summed up in that one moment. Way to hit it spot on :p)

2. He sometimes thinks he might believe in God. Not a whole lot but just enough to relegate the blame squarely on His shoulders when he fails a test. (And see, Derek is that kind of guy. The one who might say he believes but only when he needs something. The one who will pray, but only when he wants a snow day. I have to ask, how do you know these characters so well?)

3. The grand finale is the biggest cliché possible; it finishes with a guy who doesn't know she wears blue eye-shadow to impress and that she falls a lot when she crushes on someone. Who doesn't know that she has a pair of huge, ugly bunny slippers and that she dressed up as his wife for an English project that one time. (And isn't that the point of Casey and Derek? The reason we love them so much? It's because in the end the only people who know each other so well is Casey and Derek. And that's the beauty of their relationship and of this story.)

You explain them so perfectly and so spot on. The poignant desire Derek has for Casey practically leaps off the page. (And I can't believe I just used the words poignant desire!)

Really, as always I am amazed at your writing. Well after my less than sufficient review I'm off to read more of your stories!
Mystic Owl chapter 1 . 2/15/2010
Found it absolutely addorable...soo cute . XD lol
EscapeSomeday chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
this was... GENIUS! :D love it love it love it!
these-truths chapter 1 . 1/3/2010
When you said cheesangst, I became haughty, assumed a stereotypical British accent (in my head, because everything's so much crazier in there and it's always nice to disappear instead of having your parents give you an odd look before resigning themselves to the fact that perhaps their eldest daughter really has gone mad) and said, "There can be no such thing!"

...

I apologize for my ignorance. *adds cheesangst to vocabulary*

That was darkly hopeful.
JoltedReader17 chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
I don't know if it is weird or not, but this was beautiful. I love your stories. Thanks.
itsi3 chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
WOW! That was WOW! Very Dasey!

Slighlty confused. When he said "stay the night" an it says he substitutes THOSE three little words for three others. Do you mean he Substitutes I Love you for Stay the night?... I THINK that's what you were sayin.

I almost cried right here: "But that guy does know what it feels like to touch her when she wants to touch back and that’s something that he’ll never know."

I LOVE that I have to use my brain an read between the lines. And Pay attention!

Awsome Job!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ending! That's perfect!

~Crystal
ponderer chapter 1 . 10/15/2009
WhenLighteningStrikes -

I loved this. I'm upset that I hadn't read this sooner.

(I've been trapped in my Glee world lately.)

But, I loved this. LOVED THIS.

soquitelovely
passionatelysimple chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
I came across this before and finally had the chance to read it tonight. For me, I think this is one of the best things I've read that you've written. I really like how ambiguous and subtle everything is. I had to pay attention to get the pay off in the end and I haven't had to do that with many fics. For something so short, the way everything came together was impressive. I had a fun time reading it.

A.
LizDarcy1 chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
You know what I love about this one? It's all about the feeling-Derek's feelings. We don't really know what's going on, I mean, we get the bare bones of it, little hints and teases, but the story is not the plot, it's the emotion. And you just write Derek-Angst so well, even without the parentheses (though I noticed you let one set slip in ;). We feel his hopelessness and helplessness and his ultimate despair at the end because he thinks he'll never get what he wants. And then he does, and we're so glad for him because ("Sometimes it is that easy") we can just feel his relief.

Favorite lines: The whole first section is excellent. Derek sees the reality of the situation and tries to reason himself out of his heartbreak, tries to forget it and move on, but he can't. We know it and he knows it, but he's still trying valiantly, because just maybe...but no, he's still in love with her and he's an idiot.
bsloths chapter 1 . 10/6/2009
Beautiful. What a perfect representation of what they are to each other - they understand each other better than anyone, they communicate without words, and it's just...perfect, EXCEPT that they can't say the things they need to say. Oh, man. I love fics where they finally get out of each other's way enough to admit it. And the fact that it was Derek, here, hurt at the hockey rink with his head in her lap, was so adorable. You can definitely get into his head even without the parentheses!
absolute nonsense chapter 1 . 10/5/2009
Talent

Mrs. Pepperwood chapter 1 . 10/5/2009
Ohh, I missed you and you're excellent-ness.

This was deliciously angsty, and I *loved* the end.

Very well done!
D R O W N-I N-S E Q U I N S chapter 1 . 10/5/2009
My Love!

You are back! And how I have missed your b.r.i.l.l.i.a.n.c.e. but I understand because us being legal adults and all we just don't have time anymore ;)

You are like brilliance on crack, seriously I love you more than a junkie loves fixes. (drug referances are just so much funner than other referances)

I swear you're the only one that makes me cry by the sheer beauty of your words. It's like reading art. It's so poetic that it's like you can s.e.e. the pain which is impossible but you always seem to be making miracles. :)

The ending was so damn adorable and I'm so friggen jealous of Casey. Why can't I have an ah-mazing Derek to sweep me off my feet?

I think I'm just gonna find a super hot model and than have you program his brain to be all perfection-y. :D

Love you, miss you.

Sorry for my meth-ish review. (see, drug fun ((to talk about)) ;D)
Dorinda chapter 1 . 10/5/2009
I'm so glad you're back! It hasn't been the same w/o you. The LWD fandom seems to be dying and whenever you write something, it's like a breath of fresh air. And ofcourse you outdo yourself each time. Your titles win at life. I saw that you changed the titles of a couple of your stories and I love all of them. This story was w/o parentheses and yet the soul remained the same. It had some truly wonderful lines that I had to read it twice to get the full impact. Lovely. Please update Distraction too!