Reviews for The Elephant Man's Mistress
Clio1792 chapter 1 . 8/13/2010
This was beautiful, and very well-written.

I remember the play and the 1980 movie (there are a few snippets I believe you can find on Youtube if you've never seen it) with John Hurt (a magnificent actor) and Anne Bancroft (who was as good as she could be, but maybe a bit miscast?-the role was originally played by Carole Shelley on Broadway, if memory serves, and, as an English actress, she was a somewhat better fit). Although I wasn't quite as dissatisfied with the original ending as you were, I did think your piece supplied a very moving and effective alternative (especially the doctor's identification of the photograph as "Juliet"-that was terrific!) in a prose style somewhat reminiscent of Oscar Wilde (and therefore appropriate to the Edwardian period, although a little more literary than the play, I think?)-I kept on thinking of Wilde's Salome, and the heroine's final soliloquy, although obviously Kendal is a MUCH more sympathetic heroine.

Anyway, I hope you will accept my compliments on a really excellent story that was as original in its subject and conception as it was compelling.

Many thanks for such a thought-provoking piece,

Clio
DisKosh chapter 1 . 12/12/2009
Aw! This is fantastic! Very sad, but well written. I haven't seen the play, but I want to and at this moment I am trying to get the script. Love it!

BTW, in real life his name was Joseph