Reviews for Thorns Wither
s.alomar chapter 11 . 1/15
Hello sharnii, after reading both stories I felt compelled to register an account and write something to you to express my gratitude. Please excuse my non-fancy English as it is not my first language.

I first watched Utena back at maybe around 1997-ish? I was a teenager and so broken hearted by the ending it changed something about me inside. I never got so analytical as you had done with this series, expressed in your works, and by reading them I had a renewed way of looking at this series.

Last year was Utena's 20th anniversary and I bought the blu-ray collection of it. That's how I sort of re-visited this series so many years later and started reading fanfics about Utena and found your work and your personal journey. You said you wrote it to express yourself through the difficult times you endured, and I'm so glad that you got this gift in writing and through your perceptive mind and gift in writing, I in a way shared this journey with you.

I especially enjoyed reading Thorns Wither because overall it seemed... what's the word... multi-dimensional? All the characters have their own histories, and their own reasoning on 'being there', as opposed to them just being there and saying things because the author wanted them to... then again it is a fanfiction which already has a story that it's based on so most of the time character development is not needed. But Thorns Wither felt different. It grew its own vine and roses and etc based on the original work, and so much more.

It pains me to see Anthy suffering through all these centuries, and that Utena suffers with her. I will try to imagine that Anthy eventually learns to love herself, and with it they find balance, love, and peace. They actually posses very fun abilities/powers that they could travel through time and visit different places with magic and all lol.

Utena and Anthy is my favorite pairing in all animes that I've watched. And the fandom, which I just recently gotten to know, is full of wonderful people like you. In its own I think is a miracle, that through an anime series brings together so many people around the world, and through the decades they grew up together. There's enough meanings in the series that it became timeless for the topics it wanted to explore and express. It's very... truthful, in the way that it touches human natures, which can be ugly, can be painful, or can be beautiful, so beautiful that I wanted to cry. (But we need those uglies and pains because without them, we can't recognize the beautiful)

Utena's voice actress (Japanese) died in 2011 due to illness. And with it, part of me thinks the story completely stopped because there could never be an official sequel to it. It terribly saddens me when I think about it. I loved Utena's voice so much. Still, to me, her voice, her Utena, her so, so stubborn Utena, and Anthy, and all the beautiful things they represent, all the revolutions they brought, live on as eternity in me.

Again, thank you for pouring all your thoughts and knowledge into writing these stories. Through them we met, and it is doubly inspiring seeing a glimpse of the real world behind the great imaginary world that you created. Thank you for giving us what you think what it will take for both of them to truly be together and shine. To me this is important. And uncommon, since usually when an author abandons a story they simply abandon it without explaining, and for that I'm grateful that you cared enough to have done this note.

I wish you and all people in this fandom find peace and love in their own worlds. Yes, together, we shine.
Ronald Anderson chapter 11 . 1/5
Wow! It takes bravery to came out with this conclussion about yourself. I think that the road you may have get trough must be rough, painful, terrible at times, but the ending should be extraordinary and wonderful. I loved both of your fics, they were awesome, and powerful but over all very deep. The ending of this fic particullary left me a little unsettled tought, maybe because i am a unhelpful romatic, or maybe because the vision i have about Utena is different (but-somehow-still the same as yours), even then this last NA make me see all the chains that exist within each one of us. Even tought i think at very last tha Utena figured out how was the reality of Anthy and finally let her stands up for herself, because her freedom only could be reached if Anthy wishes for it, Utena was only the realization for a better life but the final decision belongs exclusively to Anthy. At the end nobody saves nobody except their own, but they found out trough another wich is as usually tends to happend in the real life. Im a monster, the devil in disguise and maybe my vision is not the right one but when i read this end i needed the necesity of writting this. My congratulations to you for finally find your miracle in this world where the miracles only seem to be impossible dreams. Thank you for your beatiful fics and for this most amazing ending. I'm sure that you shine wherever and whatever.
gorgeousshutin chapter 11 . 11/29/2017
Thank you for having shared such a personal side of yourself with us. Yes, people transform and grow, even authors. Our visions for our stories change as time goes by, so it's understandable if you feel like the new you needs a break from your old story. I myself can hardly guarantee that I can finish my own long-running story, since my visions too have changed much from what they were before. Finished or not, Roses Grow / Thorns Wither is already a landmark in English Utena fanfiction - one that fans will love and reread for decades to come. I can see you shining in your real life, and wish you all the best in everything, writing or otherwise. Take care!
ErifStarTK chapter 11 . 11/20/2017
Thank you for this. That was beautifully written and very powerful. I've never thought about it, but i suppose it's safe to guess I've also got an Utena-Anthy combo situation going on. Regardless, i congratulate you on your journey thus far, and thank you profusely for these stories. I do hope you continue, since there's so little fic for this fandom (as far as I've seen), and i love your characterizations of everyone (i particularly love how you write Anthy). But if this is indeed the end of Thorns Wither (curse you cliffhangers!) then i accept it and wish you good luck in your future endeavors!

Thanks for the great work sharnii,
~ Eri 3

[If you celebrate it, have a happy thanksgiving (and following happy holidays) as well!]
oOScrabblesOo chapter 11 . 11/19/2017
I hope I understood this well enough to say that I am glad that you are in a better place mentally, spiritually, and emotionally than when you started. This story I’ve been following it for the longest time. It’s meant so much as a reader and I’m saddened that the story may not be finished but to that I’m way more glad at that self care. I always say or at least try to say take care of yourself first and then fandom! I hope that your journey countinues to bring you more awareness and happiness! Much love and positivity your way!
YuurinoShoujo chapter 10 . 11/9/2017
Yay you’re back? Why must you hurt me like this?

It is a great chapter!
ErifStarTK chapter 10 . 11/9/2017
Noooooo~! Girls don't do this! D:

Ah, man. Welp, as Anthy said, we knew it had to get to this point sooner or later. I actually really like this development; Anthy's (and Utena's) struggle throughout this entire story is very realistic. Anthy has this sort-of-not-really PTSD and she's right about Utena's nature, asking with this expectation that Anthy'd be "fine" as long as she's away from Akio. Rereading this for context let the story really come together; I do really love this story. Glad to see you worrying on it again, sharnii :)

Well since we're past whay could be seen coming I'm eagerly looking forward to what's next to come! I'm also still curious about Anthy's sleepwalking, so i wonder if that'll make a return or not. Keep up the great work!
~ Eri

[By the way, the entire chapter is in italics. Not sure if you meant that or not; I assumed it'd be regular print after the page break]
oOScrabblesOo chapter 10 . 11/8/2017
Oh my that was freaking amazing! I could hear their voices again. Feel them again. I could feel that tension, angst, and confusion. It’s always surprising to me how in character everyone can still be after all this time way after the series and still be able to capture these characters so well and yet add on to the complexity of it all. I’m not one for long winded reviews so I’ll stop the rambling but this was great to see again like catching up with a friend, picking up exactly where we left off. : )
kairitheseventhprincessofheart chapter 10 . 11/6/2017
omg! so happy to see this update!

wonderful chapter, very angsty! but i love your characterizations of utena and anthy and their relationship. great job!
Maria chapter 1 . 11/6/2017
I’m really happy that you’ve updated the story. I’ve been patiently waiting for a very long time but it’s cool to see that you haven’t given up on it. I’m so excited to read the next chapter. Thank you very much for updating.
gorgeousshutin chapter 10 . 11/5/2017
I knew this update is gonna be good, and it turns out to be *SPECTACULAR!*

You've managed to keep the characters' voices consistent with those from the last chapter despite a 2-year gap. That's just a really, really amazing feat, and you deserves serious kudos for that.

I love how you've expanded the Japanese courtesan house idea from the last chapter into the dreamscape/time-travel sequence here. The dialogue between Akio and Anthy showed so much of their characters without blatant telling. Just . . . extremely well done.

Also love how Anthy - self-reflective like she's been for many chapters - finally forced the willfully-blind Utena to open her eyes to the true difficulties they face in their soulmate-ship. Indeed. How can Utena truly love Anthy if she cannot face the entirety of the latter's nature - unto its darkest ends? Anthy's self-admittance to Utena as the malevolent Mamiya has been a long time coming. I'm glad your execution of the scene is so effectively dramatic!

Long story short - totally worth the wait! Please keep updating when you can! All the best!
squintyoureyes chapter 1 . 11/4/2017
now that ive gotten over my overjoyed shock and read this a couple times, I’m actually really happy they’ve finally not got this secret anymore, whatever happens it’s so much healthier for them that utena knows. And I wonder if that’s progress for anthy, even though she probably feels more hopeless than she ever has. Not long ago it never would’ve occurred to her to show utena this in a million years even under the guise of pushing her away. I’m so sad for my kiddos but also weirdly hopeful. Missed this story so much.
Guest chapter 10 . 11/3/2017
Glad to see you're back.
Keep up the good work!
The nature of a being could change if it is destructed, and reconstructed again.
I still couldn't believe that Anthy will go back to her abusive brother even though he put her through so much nonsense.
It's like one of those scenario where someone always go back to her/his ex and left the other one in the cold.
Inprimense2 chapter 10 . 11/3/2017