Reviews for Calverville Point, South Dakota
multipazz chapter 16 . 5/17
Love the story and the characterizations (I don't even watch the show!).
Looking forward to the rest of the story.
A great read. Thank-you.
nicene27 chapter 25 . 5/17
Great chapter, as always.

So, I've been suspicious of Katie from the police force for a while now, mainly because two things about her didn't seem to settle right: (1) that she seemed almost too smooth in her approach towards Reid, and (2) that Emily noted that she'd not seen Katie at the late night/early morning raid, and yet she was dressed as though she *had* been there, suggesting that something's off about her when it comes to reality and appearances. Or maybe I'm reading too much into these minor details. Honestly, I mostly hope I'm wrong in my reading of her character just because you know this kind of deception would *shatter* what's left of poor Reid's confidence, and I do think the boy deserves a chance at happiness.

But, as with Hotch, something about Morgan's words tugged at these little, buried uncertainties in my subconscious, and I have to agree with his assertion that an FBI agent would make a helluva trophy for that sick male-female pair of UnSubs. I just hope Reid doesn't become that trophy.
nicene27 chapter 23 . 5/17
So relieved for both the girls. Now that they have Baker, all they have left (I think) is to find Wells and the male-female UnSubs abducting men. It's still a tall order, but at least that makes it one less murderer to worry about.
Stunning line: "And for that he would mourn in private, in the early hours before dawn when he awoke with the dreams dealing with the sights and smells his conscious couldn't understand."

And Sophie is one tough survivor. I'm glad there's a character like her, who refuses to be a victim, included.
nicene27 chapter 21 . 5/17
I'd say the experiment in formatting for this chapter was a success :)
nicene27 chapter 20 . 5/17
My favorite chapter so far, just terrific :)
nicene27 chapter 19 . 5/17
Seems an interrogation awaits...
nicene27 chapter 18 . 5/17
Hotch can be so frustrating at times! Though I do believe that it's in character for him to be putting up the same old boundaries at this point in their will-they-won't-they exchange. Of the two of them, I can certainly see him having the harder time of letting go of professional and personal expectations.
nicene27 chapter 17 . 5/17
Poor Sophie, though I figured that something like this would happen to her.

The tension is really building in this case now, and I'm excited/anxious to read what'll happen next.
nicene27 chapter 14 . 5/17
Edmund Baker. Definitely Edmund Baker.

I don't know how exactly Wells fits into these crimes, but I'm still betting most of my money on Baker. I trust no one who could so casually say "oh, shucks" while having a gun pointed at them. It's just unnatural.
nicene27 chapter 13 . 5/17
Oh no, poor Emily! And yet, I've honestly been expecting something like this to happen (i.e. her abduction and inclusion in the group of "missing brown-eyed girls"), mainly because her character seems like a magnet for danger. It would also help incentivize Hotch to admit his feelings towards her...
nicene27 chapter 8 . 5/16
I'm more and more curious about how (if at all) the abducted men tie in with the murdered girls. Having that little bit of perspective from the latest (I think) abducted man helps in fleshing out the things occurring simultaneously "off-screen."

And beautiful line: "They walked outside, where the frosted sky had cracked open and was beginning to leak snow."
nicene27 chapter 7 . 5/16
Really interesting profile of the UnSub, and I'm glad you included a little insight into Emily's psyche. I'm not sure what to think about the emptied lake yet, but I do have my suspicions about Detective Mallory - mainly because he's familiar with the terrain, seems to be keeping tabs on a girlfriend over the phone even while at work, and Emily noticed something unusually light about his gait. Maybe her dream was trying to nudge her toward considering him a threat? And well, that third dream: that one doesn't need to much analysis ;)

My favorite line of the chapter would have to be: "There would be another dead body in Calverville Point by the end of the day. Derek's." Sometimes Derek just comes off as that annoying brother who likes to push your buttons, and that certainly seems to be the case here with Emily.
nicene27 chapter 6 . 5/16
Beautiful imagery, particularly in that last scene. I also liked the insight provided in Emily's line: "You partner yourself with me, Hotch, because there's something of me in you, something you're trying to work out..." Really, just terrific.
nicene27 chapter 5 . 5/16
I loved Morgan's round-about, mischievous prying