Reviews for And in Ishimura: Just When You Thought
walutahanga chapter 1 . 10/24/2010
I first read your series, oh...years ago now. I just did another read-through, and I actually think it's better than I remember, since this time I took my time. I've noticed that your writing style improves with each new installment (not that it was ever bad in the first place) and your grasp on characterization is excellent. Demona in particular is perfect, with all her little twists and contradictions, trying to do good but failing miserably. She's her own worst enemy, and it shows right from the start. Even when she's trying to begin again, she's already sowing the seeds of her own destruction, with her half-truths and omissions. This last one when she bombs the train... ouch. It's shocking, but completely within her mindset.

Also, you would be the only Gargoyles writer to make me like and accept not just one but four OC's, to the point that I actually want them to get with Brooklyn, Broadway, and Lexington. I think your success is because you don't treat the OC as if that's their only purpose. Each relationship is a small story within itself, and a lovely extension on canon. Like what Broadway is willing to sacrifice for Angela (and how much he should sacrifice), or how Lexington can negotiate what's best for his clan with what he wants for himself. And you're subtle to build a basis for it, but still make each one a surprise. Broadway and Martha for example, I never saw that one coming, but their characters slotted together so nicely, it just made sense.

What else, what else? I really enjoy your world-building, creating a spirituality that makes sense, and the examination of gargoyle culture, of why certain aspects of human culture like names work for them, but others - like parenthood - don't. The detail you go into with each culture really pays off. You can really tell a lot of thought has gone into how they function, where they work, and where they fall down.

I believe I've covered pretty much everything. It's a long series, so I thought I'd leave a nice long review. I can see you're more into the Avatar fandom these days (and who wouldn't be?), but I hope you keep writing in Gargoyles from time to time. If not, this has been an awesome series, so thanks!
BlooRose chapter 1 . 4/15/2010
I have spent the last three days reading your life goes on series and all I can say is HOT DAMN THAT'S BRILLIANT. Now I need to know is when are you going to be posting the 50th for the series. I'm shaking with anticipation.
Hardwing chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
Loved this fic, even when Demona's very likely downfall already pains me.

If she ever had a chance to come to really good terms with her new clan while revealing her past it is ruined after this and probably the saddest point is that Demona doesn't even realize how much her actions will backfire on her again...

The Ishimura clan and its nightly life is once again wonderfully described, especially the point about Yanagi and her paintings add another facet to this most interesting clan.

Oh and what the hell has she waked up with her actions?
Gandalf the Beige chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
Well, Demona isn't a sociopath and this is actually an improvement: she's included the humans of Ishimura in her clan-framework and merely can't give a dang about humanity in general as long as a threat to her clan is eliminated... even if it includes otherwise unacceptable levels of "collateral damage".

This is about par with her Macbeth-alliance heyday, I think... except for the hatred for Elisa, but she's still the ex-wife. She's condensed all her hatred of humanity onto the woman into whose arms she drove Goliath.
Gryphinwyrm7 chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
I never thought Demona had gone soft...i figured it was only a matter of time. She's always been, and prolly always will be, her own worst enemy. Well done.
katanamaru chapter 1 . 10/6/2009
That was a great story! We were given even more insight to the Ishimura gargoyles and how Demona is a psychopath. Great ending there with the description of the train. I was thinking of how good things were going for Demona and then pow, she is still bad to the bone.
Wispr chapter 1 . 10/5/2009
What an awesome chapter... simply love the vividness of the people of the town. Fantastic work in how you wrote Demona... you really captured the duality of you insanity.

Can't wait for more!

Wispr
NyeLew chapter 1 . 10/5/2009
That was ... that was brilliant. I really love what you're doing with Demona. It's inspired. She's becoming "better" in a way that she really stays true to herself...

It's odd. Her "new" nature is so fragile, but that she even remembered the human children was a major improvement for her. I'm not looking forward to when it all falls apart (as it inevitably must - a life built on flimsy lies is bound to fail eventually!) but for the moment I'm enjoying it.

I can't help but hope for a happy ending, of course, but ... Poor Demona. I really am enjoying her characterisation and I can't wait for the next Ishimuran story.

Of course, I can't wait for your next one PERIOD, but I'm especially looking forward to more Demona!
Brandon chapter 1 . 10/4/2009
Following is a comment which may be a spoiler.

Ive been following this story for about 5 years and have loved everybit of it. This story was great until the last few hundred words. All this time showing that Demona has been trying to move on and that she is beginning to have more compassion and care for the humans around her only to destroy that image in one act. The terrorist act to get to one person seems way out to pasture when compared to the character that has been developing for the past year. The part about torturing the thieves made sense cause they were all direct threats and she still has that "i do what has to be done" attitude. But the bomb? The bomb seems to be a whole new level of evil that she never hinted at going towards again. Several hundred dead was bad enough. We all know Demona still has anger issues, an evil streak in her, and can kill. But for her to bomb several hundred innocents then switch over to wondering about souvenirs for kids makes her sound like a sociopath. A gargoyle with anger issues, and a short fuse who is capable of some stability and control i can still have compassion for, but now shes just a psycho. I liked where the character was going with the whole second chance in Ishimura. I was rooting for her cause i really liked how the character was developing, but now i genuinely no longer like the character. She's kinda back to how she was in the end of the animated series where shes beyond hope and is kind of a write-off in terms of the reader feeling any empathy for the character.

I'm sorry for having to say this considering I've been following this story for years and i loved every bit of it, until now. The characters seem to develop organically (yes even Lexington being gay), it worked well for the story. Sorry all this Ishimura set up to build up the readers interest in Demona just to make her crazy again? Not Cool. All this says to me now is that no matter how she develops in the story if u add one conflict, shes just going to revert back to her original character, which was slowly, in the case of the animated series, becoming one dimensional.
The Mad Dragon chapter 1 . 10/4/2009
... and to think this is actually AN IMPROVEMENT of Demona's usual sociopathic behavior.

I don't know whether or not to be glad that Demona's actions were for the good of both the HUMAN half of the clan as well as the gargoyles, or alarmed that this may be a backtrack for all the prgress she's made in this series...

And I sincerely DO hope she can find happiness with Yama.

I highly doubt anybody would find out about what she did unless she confessed. She covered her tracks damn well.

Oh, Di-mono, you so crazy.
Storyseeker chapter 1 . 10/4/2009
Demona hasn't been with the Ishimurans long, and already they've become unwitting accomplices to murder and terrosism. I dread to think what the clan's reaction will be when they eventually learn all that Demona is and what she's done since coming to them. I know they weren't really to blame, but they were the ones who took her in and everything, while all the time she was killing humans, besmirching everything that Bushido stands for.

Can't wait to see who the mystery guy is!

Awesom chapter! Great to have you back, Kim!
Shadowchild28 chapter 1 . 10/4/2009
Very interesting story. I read it at the Gargoyles Fanfiction Archives. Seems Demona is up to her usual tricks, considering the fact that the Ishimurans don't know about her hatred of humans. She's going to be in deep shit with Kai if he finds out that she was behind the explosion. I'm thinking that possibly Goliath, Hudson and Angela will show up. If they've left Avalon. Look forward to reading your next installment.