Reviews for Broken
Snovolovac chapter 4 . 11/7/2015
Perfection, Broken is thy name.
NemoChan320 chapter 3 . 4/20/2015
omg...I am legit crying from reading this...Everything that Castiel has gone through, its just so heartbreakingly depressing. Everyone and everything just shattered him. I really hope he gets at least somewhat of a happy ending at the end of your universe, because man, this whole thing is a Cas torture fest. And this scene here just broke me after reading everything before it in your AU. Don't get me wrong, I really love your story, I believe this is even the halfway point in it, and I look forward to reading the rest, but still, am really hoping good things happen for Cas eventually...
Guest chapter 4 . 7/16/2014
I'm crying
kyleenason chapter 4 . 3/7/2014
Such a good, well written fanfic. It was so good I got watery eyes near the end... Wait no, full on tears. This was great. Wonderful job haha ;)
esking chapter 4 . 8/26/2012
Why isn't this canon? Why isn't this canon? I ask again, why isn't this canon? Okay that's it I am taking you in the TARDIS back to before this episode was written and slamming this down on Kripke's desk. This is what that episode should have been.
esking chapter 3 . 8/26/2012
Yeah, there was an explosion of light. There was an explosion as my heart supernova'd out of my chest. Holy fucking shit that was the most beautiful and heartbreaking death scene I have ever read. Ever.
chabitso.0 chapter 4 . 5/21/2012
definitely enjoyed.]
chabitso.0 chapter 3 . 5/21/2012
crocodile tears.
Rachel McN chapter 4 . 2/16/2010
And again. I could hardly read the fic without bursting into tears all over again, and the third chapter was the one that did it for me. I haven't seen the actual episode itself yet; but I'll be thinking of your story when I do and no doubt it will make the ep a hundred times better I have seen the scene where dean claps cas on the shoulder at the end though; and I must say, your scene would have worked so much better and let dean show his true caring side for his friend. And I loved how you added in the humour with deans little "drugs are bad" speech to the god-loving angel xD
Jordan-Daniel chapter 4 . 2/15/2010
I love your stories! This one is also an amazing one.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Best regards,

J-D
Voldemort- Coolest Badguy EVER chapter 4 . 1/13/2010
Ah, the final chapter. Though short, this story was another serving of incredible writing, powerful emotion, and creative ideas - brilliance personified, if I do say so myself. 8)

This was an interesting summary of Cas:

"...that once was the most selfless and stupidly loyal son of a bitch Dean had ever met, that once used to be Gabriel’s beloved little brother and the object of the lord of lust’s twisted fantasies."

It was clever that you didn't so much as describe Cas, but detailed what he meant to others around him, from his human charge to an ex-angel, Hell's second in command.

Cas' fate is another thing that I would have loved to have seen in the episode, but much to my chagrin, Supernatural just won't focus on Castiel as much as I'd like it to. But then, I have you and your stories, so thank God for small miracles. 8)

Loved the irony of this line: "the lord of lies was speaking nothing but the truth."

The scene ends chillingly with one of those lines that only Belial can pull off:

"Fuck you."

“Yes, well thank you, old sport."

And Cas holding Dean's amulet in his last moments gives one last firm tug at the heartstrings for 2014.

As I said before, I read your story before 5.04 reached Australian screens, so let's just say that when I saw the episode, and Dean merely lay his hand on Castiel's shoulder, I felt a little ripped off! Where was the brother-like moment? Where was the bonding of friendship? Sure, the hand-on-shoulder was kinda cute, but I wanted more!

In fact, the whole scene you have here - the brotherly hug, Dean's rambling, Cas being told about the future - if it had been in that final scene of the episode, it would have been all the better!

Well, that really was a nice little ending, and a nice set-up for "Measures of Reconciliation" (and I totally can't wait to get back to that! All the new chapters waiting for me!).

So thanks again for a great read. Once again, you've rivalled Supernatural's writers... have you contacted Kripke yet? ;)

Voldemort- Coolest Badguy EVER chapter 3 . 1/13/2010
I read this line:

"...this man standing before him with an empty hole where his heart should be could never be him - it was his father. It was John Winchester."

I can't help but wonder if you got abused for that one. While I have nothing against John, I personally think it's a pretty accurate summary you have there, but it wouldn't surprise me if some John-devotees got their knickers in a knot over your description here. If anyone did go off their nut, I wouldn't think anything of it.

Nonetheless, Future Dean is "broken" and, as you said, a "cold, callous, piece of shit."

I don't remember whether this line was in the episode or not: “You heartless son of a bitch" - either way it was clever. Once upon a time, Cas was the heartless SOB, so turning back onto Dean creates some good symmetry. If it's your own line, genius! If it's the episodes, I'm glad you left it in.

Skipping past the scene with Lucifer was a clever move; after all, it's Cas we're interested in! Loved this line: "Dean was not going to let that bastard (which one, future me or Lucifer?) get Cas." Now he's been compared to Zach AND Lucifer... We really don't like , do we?

Nice reference to the significance of six ("three- no wait, the six bullet holes"), and Dean cradling Cas as he bled out; let's just say that my eyes are now dry, but my sleeve is strangely wet. 8

This entire paragraph deserves recognition, because I can honestly say that, in terms of gathering an emotional response, this is one of the best you've ever written:

“Even though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death-” Here, Castiel’s entire body went into a spasm and Dean tightened his arm around him, voice shaking as the blood in Castiel’s lungs rattled once, and then again with a note of finality. “I will fear no evil, for you are with me...” The fingers clutching at his shirt loosened and slackened completely. “Your rod and your staff,” Dean’s breath hitched and he stumbled upon the next words as Castiel’s hand fell limply to the ground- “They comfort me.”

Again, this a pure movie-moment; the kind that have me crying in the cinemas and causing a scene.

Then we have the cliffie. Ah, yes, I remember this cliffie. The possibilities that ran through my head... at first I thought it was Lucifer, then I thought it was Zachariah coming back for Dean... I only briefly considered my favourite demon, but was immensely pleased when I found it WAS him...

Voldemort- Coolest Badguy EVER chapter 2 . 1/13/2010
"I knew I wasn’t the only one who wanted to see more come out of this episode without all the fabricated undertones of slash."

A-men to that, sister! 8D

Now, I shall review your story and not, you know, your author notes (although I seem to get more amusement out of them than should be humanly possible...).

The chapter barely started, and I already found a line that really got to me:

"...faded blue gaze searching amongst the stars for a presence that he would never again detect, for something that was now lost to him forever."

Now, as you may have gathered from my million and one other reviews, the only thing that stands a chance at beating my love for Belial in any chapter is a brotherly-moment between Gabriel and Castiel. So the thought of Cas being alone is just... Can't even finish my sentence. There are no words.

You provide some comic relief ("going all high and smitey", that's a good one!) before doing a complete 180 and stabbing the reader in the heart (oh, you cruel, cruel person!). Gabriel's pride for his little brother was so touching; the thought of them standing in the middle of a war and catching eyes for just a moment is a beautiful bit of a movie-perfect scene. But of course, in any movie, a hero has to go down.

Belial, old sport, you're making it hard to love you so.

Oh, who the hell am I kidding? He'd have to kill Cas AND Dean in a terrifying explosion of hell-fire to ever make me start CONSIDERING not loving him!

But back to the scene, Castiel's shout of grief really added to the story. I seem to recall learning about this in English; adding to a scene with visual and auditory references... it had some special name, but I digress - it all created a truly amazing scene in the reader's mind.

And to cap it all off, we have Dean fighting to keep his "brother in arms" from harm as Cas truly breaks down.

His silence for seven months was clever, linking it back to his reflection on the number "seven". (Gasp! Not six any more! We've moved up!) 8)

It was nice to get away from the depression a little; the thought of Reesa "chiding" a millennia-old ex-angel was rather funny, even to me - and I'm not stoned. I'm just weird.

But then we have the loss of Cas' grace (something I think could have been touched upon a bit more in that episode), and is given a reason for his attitude:

"But he didn’t. Because three weeks after the battle in which Gabriel died, three weeks after Castiel lost his brother, Dean lost his."

But then we have Dean giving Cas "his first painkillers" - and I don't know about anyone else, but my sympathy definitely goes to Cas.

Tying it back to a scene from the episode was a good way to end the chapter - and I certainly hope you didn't fail your sociology midterm!

Voldemort- Coolest Badguy EVER chapter 1 . 1/13/2010
Well, after a few days of absence, I have returned, eager and ready for some more reviewing! Really, I'm quite disappointed with myself for how few reviews I left before this. Bad reader, bad! *slaps wrist*

Anyhoodley-doodley. On to the review. 8)

I loved seeing that Cas and Dean were still together in 5.04 (even if Dean then later sacrifices him to get to Lucifer... let's just focus on the positives right now, shall we?), so it's nice how you set up there friendship:

"He really didn't know when he started thinking of Castiel as HIS angel... but Dean did know that he sure as hell didn't want to go back to the time before he had the blue-eyed, head-tilting, stick up his ass angel on his side."

Aww, I feel all warm and fuzzy. 8)

Then there's the bittersweet feeling with these lines:

"What?" Castiel said nonchalantly, both a question and an explanation to the glare he was receiving from the future Dean. "I like past you."

Yeah? I like past you too, Cas.

I actually read "Broken" before seeing episode 5.04 (one of the failings of Aussie TV, unfortunately... we must wait for our episodes. I hate waiting.), so when I heard Cas say his line, my brain helpfully supplied Dean's non-existent line. Made the episode even sadder. 8(

Comparing Future Dean with Zachariah ("It was a general ordering his subordinate, Zachariah demanding Castiel's respect") was a well-dealt blow, especially after reading "Brotherly Discord". Zach has such a low value in our minds, that likening him to F/Dean instantly casts him in a negative light.

And such a cruel ending! Admittedly, before I got to that final line, the first time I read this I thought Gabriel had betrayed Cas... but truthfully, I don't know which would be a worse outcome. All I know is that the image of Cas slipping out of the room with grief for his big brother is totally and utterly heartbreaking.

Great chapter! 8)

juz-a-reviewer chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
So EMO! I cried like a baby. But its a damn good fic. Loved it. Great job!