Reviews for Honeymoon Vignettes
Carolina Nadeau chapter 1 . 1/5
Harold and Marian honeymoon fluff! How could I not love this?

I really enjoy watching them adjust to their new physical and emotional intimacy. Even though she's still blushing furiously every time he mentions it, even at this very, very early stage, it's clear that Marian is developing a sense of playfulness and ease about their lovemaking - "after dessert", indeed! ;)

And "not if we hurry"... you go, girl! hee hee

As much as I didn't want there to be any sort of conflict on their honeymoon, I think that the additional section explores what must be a very real struggle for two people still navigating the early stages of intimacy... I imagine that at that stage Marian feel self-conscious enough around people that she didn't know and would never see again, never mind all the slyly knowing ladies of River City! And of course Harold is still so afraid that his desires will not be welcomed wholeheartedly. Ultimately the whole episode leads to an even greater intimacy between them and a greater confidence in the strength of their relationship now that they've addressed these doubts (plus they've learned their first important lesson in the importance of communication!). I love love love what Marian told Ethel about "married life" :D

Of course Harold is able to give such a wonderful speech at Marcellus and Ethel's wedding when he's so happy and in love himself - and LOL at his ridiculous comment afterward and "it's a common problem for many people"!

And the snowball fight, good lord, the snowball fight! It's such a sweet and playful moment between the two as she tries to catch him up on the winter experiences that he's been missing out on - I love these glimpses of how they are so good together as friends as well as lovers. But then it quickly takes a very, very sexy turn when Harold decides to "teach her a lesson" (in a manner that is bound to have the exact opposite effect!) and very deliberately tells her just how - and she not only accepts but takes the initiative to brush a snowball across his lips, OMG! I am so glad that you eventually expanded on this section because it absolutely deserved it.

Overall I just love all the moments where they reflect on how wonderful everything is now that they have each other - like Harold telling Marian about all the possibilities that he sees in this new life or how she's given him a reason to be happy at Christmas. (Oh, and the way that piano scene is so obviously based on that one gorgeous publicity photo...!) Then the ending at the footbridge is just beautiful and illustrates how far they have come in such a short time. Love the line "their bodies swaying together in the intimate dance of lovers" and the reiteration of Marian's "natural talent for lovemaking". Just lovely :D
Jael73 chapter 2 . 12/1/2011
So great! You've really captured Harold Hill, though I would love more description of his facial expressions! :)
Emery Saks chapter 2 . 11/14/2011
This chapter is terrific, because it demonstrates that everything isn't roses and moonlight (;D) in a new marriage. Communication is key to any relationship, and although Harold and Marian have come leaps and bounds in that area, it's quite realistic that they wouldn't have mastered it at this point in their relationship.

I love Harold's masculine pride in giving his wife a love bite, and it's cute to see Marian doesn't take him down a peg on it. She's a bit muddled, too!

As always, I enjoy seeing Harold outside of his comfort zone, so this chapter definitely provides that. Kudos to Marian for marshalling her courage and talking to Harold about head on rather than waiting and allowing it to fester.

And of course, the love scene was quite beautiful, as well as delightful! Now we know why Marian stopped wearing drawers to bed as alluded to in "A Man Could Sing It."

Great job, Leaf!
Clio1792 chapter 2 . 8/12/2011
Well, there's a moral to this story: talk to your husband.

I love the way this vignette captures the intrusiveness of the post-nuptial breakfast, and the fishbowl aspect of living in a small this reader, the notion that Mr. and Mrs. Hill would have to interrupt their honeymmon to have breakfast with three-quarters of River City is just one step below the old Sicilian custom of hanging a bloody bedsheet outside the window...yee gods, how does Marian keep her temper around those simpering, smirking, old biddies? It made this reader sorry that Harold's investment in the house excluded the option of a honeymoon jaunt, although I totally believed that, after years of wandering, Harold/Gregory would want to express his serious and distinct intentions toward Marian by explicitly excluding travel from the package.

It is funny how thin-skinned Harold is after their bodice-ripping interval, but that, too, is realistic; he is in new territory, and totally unsure of his moves. And I like the fact that mom, (who probably should have talked Mrs. Shin out of that silly breakfast, except she was probably grateful for the cash infusion) gave Marian the advice about working it out before you go to was a good thing that Marian applied this excellent instruction and turned around this runaway horse before it did any more damage...

Glad, also, that Marian got to level with Ethel. It's nice that the two of them will be good friends to one another-and nicer, still, that their earliest encounter as peer female friends actually was good for Marian's marriage...that was a good plot point, too...they may need each other again before this is over...

This was an excellent vignette-it deserved its own discrete chapter, and I am delighted to see that Ms. Greenleaf awarded it one!

Talia chapter 1 . 1/31/2010
The new addition is wonderful and does a great job of breaking the story up a bit. We all know the newlyweds are going to spend a lot of time getting "acquainted" with another, but they had to have *some* down time!

This little moment is touching and revealing. Marian is obviously besotted with her husband. Harold is apparently a bit worn out. ;)

My stomach did the little flip-flop thing when we see Harold escorting her upstairs, helping her change into her gown and tucking her into bed. So romantic and sweet!

Isn't it just like Marian to notice that he hasn't properly put up his clothes? And to think she was going to scold him.

Your final line is lovely! It's a wonderful sentiment for Marian to think!
Clio1792 chapter 1 . 10/9/2009
This is wonderful follow-up to your earlier "lighter" piece (even though I am still waiting breathlessly for another chapter of "Remembering Paris"), and yet I feel like there's a narrative arc here-these are the things that an older Marian would remember if she and Harold were having a bad time-especially Harold's references, in the midst of a happy holiday, to the memory of his father's departure, and the crashing moment when he really stopped being a happy child. I thought that was a particularly good touch, as it dramatized-in the context of your earlier pieces-that Winthrop was another part of the reason Harold Hill finally fell for Marian Paroo-because with Marian's little brother Winthrop, Harold finally saw himself in one of his marks.

Really, really nice!

Araminta18 chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
Ok, pretty much all of these were gorgeous. Fluffy, intimate, revealing looks into the beginning of their marriage-and I'm such a sucker for fluff. :) I love the sweetness that characterizes all of these, yet preserves the humor/banter part of their relationship too. And the touches of reality really add to these stories-Marian's stomach growling, or her eating both plates, for example. And I love the idea of Harold making breakfast!

That music room scene is beautiful, and really adds more depth to the pregnancy reveal in "Revelation." I love the confessions that Marian's playing prompts them too, just like the confession she (finally!) makes to Harold in "Revelation."

And seriously-a brunch on the second day of their honeymoon? Crazy River City-ziens! :) But man, Harold's statement about home is so true, especially for him. I've heard many people say it, but for the man without a home or a family, it's truer. Without Marian, River City holds no (or very few) charms; I love that you have Harold give voice to it-and I'm sure he loved it too, considering the results of it. Which is also great-Marian taking the lead as Harold tries (well, somewhat) to stop her. It's wonderful what a well-timed, extraordinarily sincere profession of love can do to those reserved Victorian ladies! :D

Yea for Ethel and Marcellus! I know I've said time and time again that I love reading details about the other characters, but it's still true. And it really does anchor the story in its own world, which adds great depth. :) And I loved the part about Harold's silver tongue making even the older couples all mushy-so cute! Although I don't think I would ever want to see Mayor and Mrs. Shinn exchanging such a look... :P

As for the snowball fight, wow. That was awesome. Nothing else really to say, just that I love how you've shown how comfortable Marian's become in the new aspect of her relationship with Harold-the snowball on the lips is great, but also the fact that she is so comfortable around him to start a wild, unreserved, decidedly unproper snowball fight out in the open at all! Makes for some great mental pictures.

Aah, more layers to the Harold Hill onion...comes by his cynicism honest, he does. This is a great complement to the snowball scene, in that we get to see Harold telling her such a painful memory without any evasiveness or anything, and then letting her comfort him. And the image of Mrs Paroo retreating with wide-eyes cracked me up for some reason (I need sleep apparently! :D), she's probably just as glad as Marian that she is now able to retreat rather than chaperone!

And a perfect ending-both to the drabbles and their honeymoon. Lovely.
Emery Saks chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
These vignettes are charming! I’m so glad you decided to write them, because I have always wondered what Harold and Marian did for their honeymoon when they decided to stay in River City.

The morning after their marriage: Marian’s reflections about her husband and their wedding night are lovely. It speaks volumes that she isn’t embarrassed to recall the things they said and did the previous evening. Nice character development there. Disheveled!Harold makes an appearance – always delicious! It’s refreshing to see that Marian doesn’t shy away from telling Harold the truths in her heart. She’s made tremendous strides in this area, and I think that’s a testament to her emotional maturation. She has let go of past hurts and through Harold’s patient and loving encouragement, she gradually discovered her footing in what has proved to be a mutually-satisfying relationship. Because let’s face it, even though they are mismatched in a few areas, this marriage is definitely an equal partnership. It wouldn’t work any other way.

Harold’s little comment about having dessert later is *so* in character, and I love it! But, what’s even better is when Marian turns around after breakfast and uses those words on him. She loves catching him off his guard, and it’s amusing to see her playful side!

The music room: I’m thrilled that you showed us the origin of the “piano ritual” and delighted that its inception came so early in their marriage! This was a beautiful scene where we get to witness the reflective and thoughtful side of our charming charlatan. The little peeks you give into that facet of his personality are terrific.

The brunch: I absolutely adore Grumpy!Harold! The moment when Marian leans over and kisses her husband’s forehead is adorable. Little touches like that bring a sense of realism to their marriage. It’s a very subtle way of communicating the love and affection they have for one another. I’m pleased that you had them discuss their reasons for why they chose to not take a honeymoon tour. Harold is so endearingly honest in his explanation about how it mirrors his old life too closely. I agree with him: making a distinction between old and new is vital for their marriage. The fact that Marian had already realized his reasons for staying is icing on the cake, as they say. I don’t know why Harold seems surprised by this. Surely by now, he realizes he doesn’t have a monopoly on the perceptive lover role!

Two things I absolutely adored: Harold cautioning their tardiness to lunch even as he continued to undress his wife, and Marian’s brazen suggestion that they wouldn’t be if they hurried. My jaw dropped to the floor, and then I laughed. She’s adorable! I see hints of Paris!Marian even at this early stage of their marriage.

Marcellus and Ethel’s wedding: It’s a good thing Harold is so charming: His reaction to Marian’s rare flattery is priceless. “It’s a common problem for many people.” Heehee. Whereas it might be sheer arrogance from another, his appealing nature lets him get away with this.

Snowballs: My favorite drabble. Period. It’s a brilliant portrayal of the playful sides of these two. We see carefree Harold all the time. He lives and breathes zest, and I’m not certain if he knows what reticent means. But Marian is so often reserved, that when we do get these glimpses, it’s a treat! Giving her the upper hand in the snowball fight was perfect, too. Her hollow protests that she was just showing Harold what he missed had me in stitches, and her mischievous side is too adorable! Way to turn things up a notch and inject a quite-believable passion into the scene. The moment when things change from lighthearted fun to a heated encounter is extremely convincing. Again, we see confident Marian here, too. I believe this honeymoon period did wonders in bringing this couple to a more-even footing.

The Christmas scene: This was a solemn moment for Harold, but a

necessary one. His life hasn’t always been one of happiness, and exploring this fact through his observation of Winthrop was creative. It’s interesting how Harold refers to himself as “the boy” when he relates his tale to Marian. This is reiterated again when you mention that she could see the injured little boy in her husband’s eyes. Those two moments make for a powerful scene. Good job! It’s a nice departure from the norm in that we get to see Marian comforting Harold when it’s usually the other way around. This was an exceptionally poignant scene, and I think you carried it off beautifully.

The footbridge: Passionate, engaging, revealing … this scene had a bit of everything. Interesting how Marian initiates the stroll. I keep saying this: Their week together gave her a confidence she didn’t possess before the marriage. She can now say and do things she might have thought of before marriage but could never have acted upon because of her self-imposed restraint. It’s so sweet how Harold finds himself observing the boundaries established during their courtship; however, it’s splendid to observe Marian taking the lead and quickly establishing that this visit to the footbridge is vastly different from their previous excursions. Once again, Harold reflects on Marian’s natural talent for lovemaking. I absolutely adore that little phrase. It conveys so much – her passionate nature, an innocent unawareness of just how much sway she has over her husband (although I think she has recognized some of this during the past few months) and the subtle sensuality she unwittingly conveys. Bravo! The ending scene makes it evident that these two are enamored with one another!

These scattered moments are thoughtful, poignant and utterly delightful!