Reviews for Delta of Mercury
fiercepixie chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
Great start! I love the detail you put into his thoughts and actions. Honestly, I was never really a fan of Emmett or Rose but the way you write them makes me more interested. Cannot wait for an update!
AnjieNet chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
Beautiful writing. Are we going to learn what's in the diary? I'd love a look into Rosalie's mind myself.
cabr chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
Gah! This was so beautiful and romantic, thanks!
rameau chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
Interesting start. Can't wait to see where you take this story next.
Teddy-Bear-Ticket-2-Romance chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
THIS IS SO CUTE

I LOVE YOUR WRITING AND I THOUGHT TROPICS WAS AWESOME

FAB JOB EVEN IF IT IS A ONE SHOT

please start the next tropics installment soon

thanx for sharing ur master pieces
Legna989 chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
Emmett! Yay. And a little more insight into reticent Rose? I loved all of the characters in ToV, but I found Rosalie especially fascinating, in part because of her silence. She somehow managed to convey so much with no or few words. It was a nice contrast to the two main protagonists' copious use of words (online, anyway).

"Her eyes, usually crystal blue, were grey with the weather, and as silent as her lips." Lovely.

Oh, I love that this Emmett is smart. One of the biggest disappointment to me in fic is the now-cliched dumb jock Emmett. And Emmett practically gives voice to it, calling himself a "big dumb brute."

"Two weeks ago, in the hotel room in Olympia, I’d been so keyed up that I was pretty rough with her..." This is interesting. I'm curious to know more about this, and how it affected both of them.

He gives her a Shuffle full of songs and she gives him a brown bag lunch. But it's no less meaningful; she paid attention to what he'd said and sought to meet his needs. It's pretty sweet, actually. And very her.

"...my heart beat hard, the way it always did when she finally spoke." This illustrates why I find Rose's reticence so fascinating, I think. Because one is sort of kept on pins and needles waiting for her to say something. If she deigns to speak, you know it's important.

And now I want to know more about Emmett's fall.

"The wheels on their cases clicked over the breaks in the floor with a steady cadence, a marching paradiddle beat leading soldiers on a crusade, and then shifted to an even faster rhythm as the tiles got smaller, reminding me of the opening of “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover,” and I smiled to myself at the irony as the song bounced through my brain" I love this whole paragraph-the lovely description, and then the way it connects back to music, as everything seems to with these kids.

I am so fascinated by the fact that Emmett is the practical one. It's such an interesting role in which to put him.

"I watched Seattle drop away into a smear of silver..." What a perfect description.

Emmett's story about flying as a child reminded me of the very first plane ride I ever took. I was five, and was flying with my parents and four-year-old sister to Washington, D.C. from Nebraska. My sister was watching the wispy clouds and loudly exclaimed, "I saw an angel fly by!" There were several laughs and a few "I hope not"s.

And now I really want to know more about Emmett's fall.

I love Emmett's reason for not being interested in the flight attendant: "...she wasn’t blond with electric blue eyes, and she talked too much."

Emmett's thoughts on not fitting in, and the things he does to try to fit in, were very interesting. Perhaps so many people portray Emmett as dumb in order to make him unintimidating.

"The small book was dwarfed by my hands. The classic red leather was worn smooth at the corners, and the ribbon tying it closed was frayed at one end. A silhouette of a rose was embossed on the diary cover." Oh, no wonder she was so reluctant to give it to him. I am not one bit surprised that Rosalie keeps a diary, and how lovely of her to let Emmett read it. I'm dying to see what it contains.

This is wonderful. Thank you for writing.
123456dog chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
Blue,

As always you leave me with a beautiful ache.

I remain your faithful reader,

c...
I'm.Wishing chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
This was so beautiful... it made me warm all over. I have a soft spot for Emmett and I hate when he's just a mess of chiches in FF, which happens quite often. Sure, he's fun and sort of an oaf at times, but he's also sensitive and intelligent and loving... all of which you've captured in this. I loved the part about him feeling like a bear pawing at a tree for honey and your reference to clydesdales... your words always invoke such strong imagery. I hope you continue with your exploration of Emmett & Rose's relationship from TOV, I'd love to read more!
BookmarkBella chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
I really hope you carry on with this. I love hearing about characters other than Edward and Bella and i want to know Rose's secrets :]
2old4fanfic chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
shame on your blue bathrobe...why didn't you send out a tropic of virgo update, if you were going to plant these mini epilogues! glad I was browsing and found this little slice of Emmett.
StarDusk chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
*deep sigh* Another lovable Emmett. Gahh!

I loved how you portrayed Emmett here. Different from his happy-go-lucky kinda guy. But, still, there's also a little of that in there.

I just love reading how deep he can be. How the outside, both in physical and in their relationship, becomes insignificant to them. How just the two of them is what really matters.

XOXO
AccioBourbon chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
Between you and Hmonster4, I’m sort of hung up on Emmett these days. Like, crushing hard, to tell you the truth. Your Emmett here is a bit like my husband. I think I’ve told you that he’s a jazz musician, but he’s also a mathematician. Yup. As in, so smart it scares the hell out of people. But talent and brains do not equal unwavering self-confidence.

I really like this EmPOV (and I’m jealous because I want to write more of it so badly myself.) As seen through Rosalie’s eyes, he often comes off as too perfect [um... guilty]. And through the eyes of other characters, he can just become a big cliche. Here you’ve given him insecurities: a small streak of the judgmental, a bit of a guilt complex - or maybe just a realistic sense of conscience.

Rosalie is the challenge here, I think. Right along with Emmett, I’m wondering why she protects her boundaries so carefully. The loss of her dad? Bad experiences with guys in her past? And what will it take for her to let someone cross the boundaries? Maybe it will take her realization that he’s willing to leave for school that will make her let him in. That’s what I take the lunch, and her biting him, and the diary all to mean?

You’re a clever thing, you are, slipping in a little backstory that mirrors canon: an accident in Emmett’s past that damaged his body, and a reference to Rosalie being part of his recovery: “Now I knew that angels played acoustic guitar; I heard one for three days straight: the only thing that had kept me from going mental from the pain as they put me back together and marveled how the fall hadn’t killed me.”

Emmett’s idea of a music career as being a less than sane goal and impractical is very interesting, to me. Again, it reminds me strongly of my husband. While he’d love to play live more often, that usually means travel - travel on weekends, especially - and that’s when he regroups from the week and spends time with me and the kids. Not to mention that the sad reality of the music world is that it’s still filled with all kinds of gifted, creative people throwing their gifts away to feed their addictions. I like to think that Emmett senses all of this, and that’s why he’s so intent on having a fall-back plan in place.

Really nice. I hope we get to learn more about these two. Thanks, lady!
letmesign chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
Blue, this was one of the most beautiful chapters I've read from you yet, in any and all of your stories. The gorgeous connection between these two is so palpable, even when they're apart. I love the metaphor of how Em doesn't feel like he fits with anyone but her, and how Rose (even though we don't see her side directly) feels that the only person she can be verbal with is Em.

I also love how their relationship isn't perfect, like we sometimes think Em/Rose's relationship is in fics. It seems like once they are together, it's on, and all goes well. Not so. There are problems, misunderstandings, mistakes. Rose is too quiet when she needs to be verbal; Emmett is too rough when he feels possessive. Real life things that make them human rather than paper dolls that are easy to write about.

They have flesh and oxygen and hearts that beat so loud I can hear it. I LOVE that about your characters.

So excited that you started your Twi25! Are all the o/s/drabbles going to be from Tropic? Whether they are or not...I'm seriously excited. You have such a unique writing voice and I can't wait to see more.
bunnyslippersrok19 chapter 1 . 10/6/2009
so wonderful...i have a soft spot for Emmett and so appreciate you putting together this peek into his perspective. btw, if i had won that stacey auction i would have asked for something just like this...had to settle for second place to a legend...thank you for writing again...i was missing your words!
charcoalcanary chapter 1 . 10/6/2009
I enjoy the way you're writing Emmett, I hate when people don't show any thought because he doesn't voice it. I hope that diary is everything and more he expects it to be!
997 | « Prev Page 1 .. 53 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 .. Last Next »