Reviews for Delta of Mercury
addictedtotwilight79 chapter 2 . 10/11/2009
:0(. Green...Army? That's my guess. Love the spelling errors. Looks like my diary as a child.

;0)
whitewave320 chapter 1 . 10/11/2009
Beautiful, as always. You have created my favorite Rosalie, which is saying a lot, because I almost never like her in any story. But yours is so fierce, loyal and proud, without being bitchy. Loved that she found a way to let Emmett know her, in such a powerful and quiet way, fitting her character. As always, leaves me wanting more...
addictedtotwilight79 chapter 1 . 10/10/2009
Love it. Love your choice of words describing Emmette. The beat pawing at a tree for honey...I could see that. Quite Rosalie is a change. Hope there is more!

;0)
ElleCC chapter 1 . 10/10/2009
I love this. I love the whole thing.

I love hearing from Emmett because he was awesome in ToV and we only got tiny pieces of him along the way. I like hearing about his feelings about Rosalie. As I've told you 80 bazillion times by now, I LOVED his rant to Edward about his uncertainties about Rosalie. Loved it. It is, somehow, one of the ToV moments that stands out most strongly for me.

Some of this is going to be repeat of what you've heard from me before, but... ah well, I guess :)

I think we're so used to seeing confident Emmett, self-assured, no worries... and here, you show us that very uncertain side of him. The side that worries about his future, worries about the band, worries about Rosalie. I like seeing that because it shows, for one thing, that Emmett isn't one-dimensional. None of your characters are, though. They all have something going on below the surface. I can't wait to see more of that, with the rest of Delta, and with ToG.

Emmett's frustrations with Rosalie, during this time when he really, really needs her to speak up, are so clear. They make me want to shake Rose to get her to open up to him. And he's so patient - it's obvious he knows there's a reason for why she is how she is. Maybe he's picked up on that after observing the way everyone (Esme, Jasper) is with her. Esme watches her closely, and I'm sure Jasper does the same thing, to a degree.

I like that Emmett is really terribly practical. He knows he has to look at schools because it doesn't look like the band stuff is going to pay off. He hopes Rose's dreams are "practical" - "sane" and "attainable." I hate, for him, that he doesn't know. I also can't see Rose being anything but realistic about her dreams. She may not talk a lot, but she conveys a very solid, grounded vibe.

Like I said before, I love that you've made Emmett smart :) And I love the reasoning behind it. It's awesome when an author takes the information we're given and builds new reasoning behind it - makes up something on her own that isn't just the same-old, same-old. Different is good.

Random: love this line: "Her eyes, usually crystal blue, were grey with the weather, and as silent as her lips."

I was so frustrated by the end, along with Emmett. Over things being too small, his confusion about Rose, his general discomfort... it's all very palpable.

Loved it. Can't wait to read the rest )
littleSinsandSadlines chapter 1 . 10/10/2009
i love this so much! #
yogacat chapter 1 . 10/10/2009
Inside Emmetts head, that was so sweet.
disabled now chapter 1 . 10/9/2009
Yay for me, I'm review 69!

Another one-shot I enjoyed. Is it related to ToV...?

Also, woman, what happened to your favs lists! That was where I found 'Times New Roman' from, I was hoping to creep and maybe find some other wonderful fic to read.
prospectcat chapter 1 . 10/9/2009
Just got a chance to read this - seriously, how do you do it? I adore your Rosalie in general and seeing her through Emmett was perfect. You find a way to tell us so much about your characters with so few words. This works so well as a one-shot, but also hinted at so much more in their individual histories, their relationship, and what's going on with the band. You always leave me wanting more. Thanks!
fiercepixie chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
Great start! I love the detail you put into his thoughts and actions. Honestly, I was never really a fan of Emmett or Rose but the way you write them makes me more interested. Cannot wait for an update!
AnjieNet chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
Beautiful writing. Are we going to learn what's in the diary? I'd love a look into Rosalie's mind myself.
cabr chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
Gah! This was so beautiful and romantic, thanks!
rameau chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
Interesting start. Can't wait to see where you take this story next.
Teddy-Bear-Ticket-2-Romance chapter 1 . 10/8/2009
THIS IS SO CUTE

I LOVE YOUR WRITING AND I THOUGHT TROPICS WAS AWESOME

FAB JOB EVEN IF IT IS A ONE SHOT

please start the next tropics installment soon

thanx for sharing ur master pieces
Legna989 chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
Emmett! Yay. And a little more insight into reticent Rose? I loved all of the characters in ToV, but I found Rosalie especially fascinating, in part because of her silence. She somehow managed to convey so much with no or few words. It was a nice contrast to the two main protagonists' copious use of words (online, anyway).

"Her eyes, usually crystal blue, were grey with the weather, and as silent as her lips." Lovely.

Oh, I love that this Emmett is smart. One of the biggest disappointment to me in fic is the now-cliched dumb jock Emmett. And Emmett practically gives voice to it, calling himself a "big dumb brute."

"Two weeks ago, in the hotel room in Olympia, I’d been so keyed up that I was pretty rough with her..." This is interesting. I'm curious to know more about this, and how it affected both of them.

He gives her a Shuffle full of songs and she gives him a brown bag lunch. But it's no less meaningful; she paid attention to what he'd said and sought to meet his needs. It's pretty sweet, actually. And very her.

"...my heart beat hard, the way it always did when she finally spoke." This illustrates why I find Rose's reticence so fascinating, I think. Because one is sort of kept on pins and needles waiting for her to say something. If she deigns to speak, you know it's important.

And now I want to know more about Emmett's fall.

"The wheels on their cases clicked over the breaks in the floor with a steady cadence, a marching paradiddle beat leading soldiers on a crusade, and then shifted to an even faster rhythm as the tiles got smaller, reminding me of the opening of “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover,” and I smiled to myself at the irony as the song bounced through my brain" I love this whole paragraph-the lovely description, and then the way it connects back to music, as everything seems to with these kids.

I am so fascinated by the fact that Emmett is the practical one. It's such an interesting role in which to put him.

"I watched Seattle drop away into a smear of silver..." What a perfect description.

Emmett's story about flying as a child reminded me of the very first plane ride I ever took. I was five, and was flying with my parents and four-year-old sister to Washington, D.C. from Nebraska. My sister was watching the wispy clouds and loudly exclaimed, "I saw an angel fly by!" There were several laughs and a few "I hope not"s.

And now I really want to know more about Emmett's fall.

I love Emmett's reason for not being interested in the flight attendant: "...she wasn’t blond with electric blue eyes, and she talked too much."

Emmett's thoughts on not fitting in, and the things he does to try to fit in, were very interesting. Perhaps so many people portray Emmett as dumb in order to make him unintimidating.

"The small book was dwarfed by my hands. The classic red leather was worn smooth at the corners, and the ribbon tying it closed was frayed at one end. A silhouette of a rose was embossed on the diary cover." Oh, no wonder she was so reluctant to give it to him. I am not one bit surprised that Rosalie keeps a diary, and how lovely of her to let Emmett read it. I'm dying to see what it contains.

This is wonderful. Thank you for writing.
123456dog chapter 1 . 10/7/2009
Blue,

As always you leave me with a beautiful ache.

I remain your faithful reader,

c...