Reviews for Lead Me Through the Fire
deactivated82940 chapter 17 . 8/17/2010
*waves*

I love Duke in this. You've gotten him down. His actions, behaviors, all have their reasons and the most important ones are explored as fully as needed.

And I don't think I've ever felt the impact of a minor character's death as strongly as that. David! Come baaaack! *coughs* Anyway. He was a very well rounded character, and you fleshed him out nicely. The part in chapter 16 where Duke is talking to his grave is heartbreaking, all the more so because we got to really know him as a character and see his importance and friendship with Duke.

And the ending of chapter 14 where Duke is losing it? Wow. Beautifully written. You could practically feel him trying to hold on to everything, only, there wasn't anything for him to hold onto. On that note, I love the difference between Otogi and Duke. You emphasized it nicely, plenty of warnings from David, introspection by Duke, comments from other characters. It makes it that much better when at the end, the readers sees that Duke HASN'T been overshadowed by his Otogi role. And all the more triumphant, and saddening, that he's telling it to David's grave.

I do have a few nitpicks. When you're trying to avoid the name of a villain, it usually came off awkwardly. The only time I remember it coming off smoothly was during David's death. There was a very obvious reason WHY he didn't just spit it out, and the narration flowed from David's death to the next scene, neatly concealing the baddie's identity without compromising the moment. Other times, it really stuck out that you were trying to hide the perpetrator's name.

Also, have you used the OCs in other stories? I'm assuming you do, and you did mention that you had a host of other YGO mysteries. Because in this story, they weren't very well introduced, and I had a bit of trouble keeping up with them. (David was, don't worry, I didn't mean him. I meant characters like Gabrielle Valesquez.)

Okay, I nitpick because I'm a prick like that, but I did genuinely enjoy the story. The situation was believable for the most part, characters behaved realistically, and it was just a wonderful story all around.

*adds to favorites*
Poopsie chapter 17 . 2/18/2010
I actually teared up a little at the end...You did a wonderful job with this story, and this is totally one of my favorites!
The Quote Bandit chapter 1 . 12/30/2009
Man, I don't even really like Duke all that much. But I like this. )
Harry2 chapter 17 . 11/20/2009
Its good to see that Duke revealed all that has happened. I just hope that some of his friendships can be repaired. And I look forward to your next excursion into the world of Yugioh.
Harry2 chapter 16 . 11/20/2009
Its good to see that Duke and Serenity are finally together after all this mess. And I think once all is said and done, there will be a lot of people understanding more of what Duke is like and why he does things the way he does.
Chibi Cheesecake chapter 17 . 11/20/2009
This epilogue has two things I really like in fiction: dramatic punching scenes and dramatic press conference scenes. XD; So I really liked this chapter!

I hope sometime we can hear more about when Duke first had to use his alias. 3

And ooh, I'm excited to see what you do with this storyline next!
Mooncry chapter 17 . 11/20/2009
This story plot is well written as well as original. The characterization of each cannon's emotions were real enough to consider that they're people too. Every turn Duke seemed to find danger but with the help of his friends, he would have fallen if not for them.

Well done, one of the best I have read in awhile.
scrambled-eggs-at-midnight chapter 17 . 11/20/2009
I loved the ending. Loved it. I'm only sad that it's over. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

-yours truely, eggy
Crystal Rose of Pollux chapter 17 . 11/20/2009
Urgh, I think Tristan may have gone too far that time... Poor Duke...

But I love how everyone else stands by Duke, though. And Joey mentioning that the tipoff did save them...

Yay for Veronica and Mary being alright!

The press conference scene was so bittersweet. Serenity silently cheering him on, and Duke finding it so hard to talk about David...

And yay for David's appearance, even if it is bittersweet, too!

The fic has been an amazing ride.
Chibi Cheesecake chapter 16 . 11/19/2009
Hee, I loved the opening scene with Pegasus, and him just deciding to call Duke whatever. XD; Pegasus was a very fun and interesting addition to this story, I'm glad you decided to put him in for a bit.

And ooh, the graveyard scene was so sad. o.o I liked all the details, and especially the bit with the cabbie, and *especially* especially the line about Duke being a ghost himself. o.o

And the ending scene! That makes me really want to see his reveal to the others, even though they already mostly know.
Crystal Rose of Pollux chapter 16 . 11/19/2009
**snarks at Duke's wake-up call** The summary of the following events worked very well, but I do wonder what did happen to Veronica and Mary...

And the whole scene of Duke in the cemetery is so sad, especially when he visits David's grave... ;_; Wishing that he had been at the funeral, and then regretting about what he had to do...

And the meeting with Serenity was so poignant, especially when she says his hands are clean, and he realizes how much she's grown... But poor Serenity blaming herself for David's death. ;_;

But yay for some hope!
Chibi Cheesecake chapter 15 . 11/18/2009
LOL... for a half-second I thought "Alfred Hitchcock" was somebody's penname and you were thanking them for offering ideas... Gosh it's been a long week. XD;

Aah, I totally knew it was Jared! When David was all shocked at who the mastermind was, I was like "HMM!"

And ooh, a rooftop confrontation, those are always so awesome. o.o

And I loved the ending bit with Gabrielle. ;_;
NortheasternWind chapter 15 . 11/18/2009
IB stands for International Baccalaureate *is shot*

While extremely irritating as a villain, Pegasus is... Mad Hatter awesome as a good guy. Reading anything he said was fun! I can just hear his voice... And his dialogue with Croquet was awesome XD

Jared? And Red Headed Assassin returns! And is promptly sent away again. And Goatee Man/Brutus! Dang.

See, the thing about not having a laptop means that if I really, really want to get on the internet and the computer is unavailable, I have to use something else- like the PSP. And the screen on that thing is narrower than the box that opens every time you hit "Leave a Review." I couldn't scroll down fast enough! T_T

Phew, everything turned out alright! Not without injury, but that's life.
Harry2 chapter 15 . 11/18/2009
Well, it looks like Duke has finally managed to crack this case. And, it looks like Pegasus is back in the game as well. Remind me NEVER to mess with him! He may act crazy, but he is one smart cookie.
Crystal Rose of Pollux chapter 15 . 11/18/2009
Ooh, I love the beginning, with Duke trying to decode that that message means. But poor Duke, being forced to run and then thinking about his father's ghost... But I love how he discovers the true meaning of the message. Classic mystery. X3

Bleh, and there's Pegasus, unintentionally acting annoying. Stealthy as his Toon monsters... oh, dear (and LOL... Pegasus' secretary is Millicent too...? Or is she a transferee from Dalton? XD).

Duke's confrontation with Jared was interesting to see. You can definitely see what the recent events have done to Duke... And yikes at what happens after that!

And Pegasus bantering with the girl who threatened him classic Pegasus. XD

The confrontation at the end of the chapter is so intense, especially with Duke praying to be saved. And argh, Brutus is definitely the worst! ...But I'm not sure if even he deserved that...

And I loved the exchange between Duke and Gabrielle. X3

Time to pick up the pieces...