Reviews for Emperor's Ward: A Ciaphas Cain Story
AO718 chapter 1 . 7/30/2018
Very fun, short action packed story straight from the Cain Archive.
thepkrmgc chapter 1 . 5/6/2017
when space marines dont wear helmets guardsmen everywhere rejoice
T chapter 1 . 12/30/2015
Wow! Cain's mannerisms and affectations and Amberley's notation made this beautiful piece of writing almost indiscernible to the writing of Sandy Mitchell himself! Any grammatical errors were to be expected of anyone not in the business of hiring a professional editor.
I would however add that perhaps Cain is unique in his specific knowledge of chaos, and perhaps adjust civilian/PDF reactions accordingly
Altogether, fantastic!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/3/2015
I think I enjoyed this even more than the actual Cain novels. That's really impressive. Well done, The Naked Pen! :P
macdjord chapter 1 . 2/11/2015
This is brilliant. You've really captured the style of the Cain books perfectly!

Couple minor technical quibbles:
* Bolt weapons are never issued to Guard troopers as small arms, except maybe to the most elite of shock troops for special missions. Colonel Kasteen and Major Broklaw carry bolt pistols, some of the other senior officers might do the same, and Cain would have one if he didn't prefer to stick with his trusty laspistol, but that's it. Jurgen having a bolter if he wanted one is not unreasonable - if Cain's authority and reputation wasn't enough to get one issued officially, he could probably scrounge it up somewhere - but Lustig certainly wouldn't be using one.
* A lasgun is a full-sized rifle. There's no way Jurgen could carry one hanging from his belt. In the books, he always carries it across the shoulder.
MyRandomName chapter 1 . 9/15/2013
Great story
Matt chapter 1 . 7/17/2013
Awesome! You really captured the spirit of his adventures as well as the tone of Amberly's commentary. Great work, thank you for posting this addendum to his adventures. Please write more.
Yoholic chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
Excellent, written truly in cains style
battybiologist chapter 1 . 1/11/2012
Well, I do like your Cain and Amberley. That said, they don't seem to be quite the _same_ Cain and Amberley we all know and love, so the dissonance did prevent me from enjoying it to a small extent. For instance, this Amberley seems more insecure than normal, leading to more interruptions than normal too. Overall, a good yarn and funny to boot.

PS The "larger explosions" line is comedy gold.
MagyarEagle chapter 1 . 10/29/2011
Fucking brilliant. This captures the tone of a Ciaphas Cain novel perfectly. This really reads like a genuine Cain story, and I would love to see this published. :)
Yikari chapter 1 . 10/21/2011
Hello!

Good! I do believe this oneshot matches the overall mood of Cain's adventures quite nicely! If a bit cracky, but that's never a bad thing. Seriously, this needs more reviews, favs and love.

Good luck!

Yikari.
templar627 chapter 1 . 10/16/2011
I really like the story, you really caught the tone well. What I think was the best is the way that you added the completely random way that he was able to defeat the plague marine like sandy mitchell does.
Sammy Holzbein chapter 1 . 5/25/2011
Oh yes, that's cain all right. Poor man, he can't catch a break, can he? The Ruinous Powers must really hate him.
Medinoc chapter 1 . 3/21/2011
Nice story. This is the Cain we know and love.
Mister Tesla chapter 1 . 8/21/2010
As many people have already mentioned, this work feels right at home with the self-centered rantings of Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM). It captures his pessimistic view, witty sarcasm, and on-his-toes-thinking that one would expect from a Sandy Mitchell book, major kudos to you!