Reviews for The Short Victorious Vor
Bergholt Stuttley Johnson chapter 7 . 11/20/2018
Well, as you said it, There'sno other way this could have ended.

Reminds me of the end of Dr. Strangelove

"We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day
Keep smiling through
Just like you always do."
a311243549 chapter 7 . 6/10/2018
Damn. This is good. I wish there were more HonorVor fiction.
Navn Ukjent chapter 7 . 4/3/2017
I have read and like both Weber and Bujold, so this crossover was fun.
Beloved Daughter chapter 7 . 8/21/2016
Absolutely brilliant story! I have to admit though that the ending was a bit of a shock for me as well as Honor but your explanation of it made quite a bit of sense.

Thanks for writing and posting this wonderful story.
LadyPhoenix68 chapter 7 . 6/28/2016
It is an interesting tale with interesting explanation at the end but I find it unbelievable. Miles does manage to pull miles stunts and get away with most of it on honor but there are some thing that I do not find believable

1) Samantha would agree to betrayal and leaving of Nimitz and Miles not responding to link and wanting to take her from his mate
2) Honor is EMPATH herself and it is demonstrated how good she is long before the start of this story. There is no way that Miles would fool her that badly and get away with hiding this much from her. She is too capable. She should have figure out about the Vor part and the lies hiding that long before any marriage
3) Honor believes in fighting wars very much in a Miles attitude and in waging peace. It is what lead to Honor efforts to make peace with Haven. More importantly Miles who is a military and psychological genius for analyzing people and studying Manticore history should have seen the termini very much like st. Martins, andermani or beowulf where Manticore controls termini, local planet controls everything else. So either he is totally obvious, not up to his usual analysis, not only read the history that suited him.
4) Miles is obsessive about family, there is no way he would cut off a wife or daughters or keep mother from his son. It is totally against his whole nature.
5) Honor would and does expect treachery, she is private person and mostly untrusting of a lot of the universe (curtesy of Pavel young) and wouldn't trust until she is very sure and her empathy and that of her treecats allows her to be sure.

So while an interesting story for first few chapters, it leaves me very disappointed and frustrated from the last.
reddir chapter 7 . 3/10/2016
Thank for laying out some of the details for us.
reddir chapter 6 . 3/10/2016
I'm stunned. I kept rereading Miles' letter...

Whoo...
reddir chapter 2 . 3/9/2016
The unsettled feeling between Honor and the Peeps felt off, like their mutual endeavors by now should have cleared most of that away. Its been a while since I read the books, but I had thought there was mutual respect and positive formality by now.

The ending was quite good. It felt like you were really getting the crossover right here - the basic people and the interactive possibilities.
reddir chapter 1 . 3/9/2016
I had no idea what to expect when I found this crossover.

I'm happily surprised by how you are overlapping the universes, the tech, and the MCs. I look forward to what you have done in the following chapters.
JDL45 chapter 7 . 2/25/2016
Fascinating. I'm not nearly as well acquainted with the Honorverse, but what you've done here seems weirdly plausible. Also, Miles's letter-while perhaps provocative-also seemed to me pretty honest.

Does Harrington ever question her loyalties in the Honorverse? Because it seems to me that her problem as depicted in this story is that she can't take a step backward to see that sometimes-like Bilbo "betraying" Thorin and Company-it's not a matter of simply loyalties, but of the need for a more complex choice. The fact that her reaction on reading Miles's letter is rage and not any kind of acknowledgment that there was a logic and loyalty to Miles's position suggests this. I also see her "He stole my child" (without an acknowledgment that Miles in turn is giving up the daughters he has largely raised until now), while very human, also suggests an inability to think outside her own mindset.

I also wonder how Cordelia was received when she made her one-way trip, if Honor and the others are so angry at Miles...

Anyway. Very interesting stuff, and I especially like this technical commentary at the end.
SeverlyLate chapter 1 . 5/17/2015
Well, it was a fun read. Imho good storitelling up to enevitable for Miles victory over the next female. It is a mess afterwards. This aspect was annoying as hell in Budjold stories already. Clear you had the idea to implement so you preserved the weird part of that and naive part of the other. Explanation at the end are irrelevent and superfluous.
A story should stand on its own. This one stands even if not very straight imho.
niquist9 chapter 1 . 12/7/2014
Fantastic story. I agree with your analysis of how Miles got away with it but I suspect that even if Honor herself did not suspect it surely someone in ONI did. There are some pretty twisty characters there and not all of them would have simply allowed Miles to go the way he did.

Regardless great story, if you are interested in writing any other space oipera cross over I would love to collaborate.

S
Guest chapter 5 . 8/22/2014
How the *£*£*# did Vorkosygin get to Cerebus when there isn't a Wormhole junction there? Oh, and Ariel cannot mount a Hyperdrive?

2 weeks there and back from Yeltsin's Star?

Bulldust.
Guest chapter 5 . 8/22/2014
Too many mistakes on the Honorverse side to be good I'm afraid, especially with regards to the technology.

From what I can make out, both Assault Shuttles and Pinnaces mount only a single impeller ring. As you note, these are beta nodes which gives a maximum acceleration of maybe 3kps2 (Series 282 LAC as seen in HAE has an acceleration of 5.6kps2 with 2 rings) That requires your assumption that the compensators used in the Vorkosygin-verse are significantly more powerful than needed (at which point, the Honorverse will be trying to get that technology - after all, it's even better than Grayson technology).

Next up, laser technology. Honorverse lasers would seem to work differently to Vorkosygin-verse lasers (based on your comment about heat sinks). However, even if both are the same, I ask you to consider the difference in throughput of the 2-10cm weapons the Ariel may mount and the 45cm weapons that the old Courageous-class mounted.

Next up, the ignored weapon - Grasers. Thanks to the GSN, these have become the primary energy armament of GSN and RMN warships. Vorkosygin-verse has no known defence against this weapon. Sword-Swallower *may* work (it's only a change in frequency in one sense), but the throughput is even higher than lasers.

Plasma weapons - completely useless against Honorverse ships with a sidewall imposed. Abandoned by the Honorverse, and only mounted on old constructions.

The weapon that shall not be named - abandoned due to lack of range and excessive bulk. May still be mounted on older construction. Vorkosygin-verse ships are going to hate this.

Missiles are the rub though. All RMN/GSN missiles can - by this time - set for stand-off or sidewall-contacting mode. Sword-swallower may be able to deal with the stand off lasers (although again, throughput is the key here. Even LAC grade missiles will cause serious damage to an Assault Shuttle), but it won't deal with the directed nuke or contact mode.

Whilst I have no problem with Miles "winning", you made it too easy for him. You made Miles the overdog, despite that all the evidence would make him the underdog (less technologically advanced, no knowledge of the systems etc.). And unfortunately, you betrayed the core characteristics of both characters.
Gwenlynn chapter 7 . 5/28/2013
Great story, enjoyed reading it immensely
51 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »