Reviews for Breaking Point
Watto not chapter 8 . 1/18/2013
Absolutely fantastic
The completely nailed each of the characters little quirks and personalities perfectly!
And I love the friendship dynamic between Pilot and Aeryn; they're so cool!
Watto not chapter 5 . 1/18/2013
Oh ma god
So suspenseful!
This would make an incredible episode
Watto not chapter 1 . 1/18/2013
Loving it!1
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 8 . 11/29/2012
Unique idea, I’ll give you that.
Pilot’s always been the calmest member of the crew- his reaction to learning of Aeryn’s role in his predecessor’s death aside, anyway-, so the idea of making him the ‘bad guy’ would have been a shocking twist even without factoring in the intriguing idea of exploring just what he and Moya could do if they were driven to the brink, and the chain of events that led to Moya’s crew facing such a threat were handled very well, as initial theories about the cause of the crash are disproved, the mystery of the spheres’ role in Kaalene’s death is introduced, and then their attempts to take action fall apart with the discovery of what they’re up against.
Initial developments as the crew are divided are very well-handled, with the crew each coming up with their own ideas about the cause of the opening attacks before Crichton discovers the vital clue to explain what they’re up against, to say nothing of the exceptional way in which you explore Pilot’s ‘defence’ for his actions, as everything the crew have done to him- or forced/asked Moya to do- is twisted in his mind to explore the issues or anger that Pilot already felt towards the crew (Along with a few exaggerated ‘justifications’; I somehow don’t think Pilot could have felt THAT angry about the incident with Zhaan’s pollen considering that it was a part of her life cycle that she couldn’t control, although he’d certainly still have issues over the arm incident, and it’s likely that everyone resents Crichton bringing so much extra attention to Moya even if they accept that he didn’t want to do so) and push him to a truly horrifying brink that’s somehow still recognisable as Pilot.
Even better, their last-minute rescue actually works rather well; Kir presents an intriguing addition to the situation without appearing too ‘deus ex machina’-esque- particularly since he can only communicate with Zhaan for a specific and plausible reason; as in ‘Star Trek’, it definitely pays to have at least one non-humanoid crewmember on all ships-, and his explanation for the cause of Pilot’s breakdown makes sense, as everything Pilot should normally be able to process as a few stray thoughts strikes him all at once and leaves him overwhelmed.
And as for the final confrontation...
Definitely dramatic, to say the least; faced with a psychopath who’d be perfectly happy to kill them for the ‘harm’ they’ve done him in the past, but unable to do the same because of the memory of all that they’ve been through with him, made even more complicated by one of their best also falling victim to the same malady that’s created their nightmare (I particularly liked Crichton’s initial thoughts on Pilot being in far more darkness than simply having turned the lights off; they might be up against Pilot, but moments like that emphasise the fact that they’re not fighting PILOT, if you know what I mean).
Still, after all that, the final scene was excellent; the rest of the crew might be willing to accept Pilot’s claims of amnesia- even if John has a few doubts, and I have a feeling that Zhaan may have the same-, but Aeryn and Pilot have both accepted the part of themselves that they saw, and helped each other recognise that, no matter how much a part of them liked what they did, the rest of them would never allow themselves to fall that far.
HAZMOT chapter 8 . 3/14/2010
I just read one of your new fics, and ventured onto this one. My Gosh, this was intense. You grasped every aspect of each character and the events that followed Pilot and Aeryn downfall were down right scary. Never have I seen, recently a complex and intriguing story that dwelled on the hidden creases of our evil desires. Even though the radiation affected Pilot more than any, Aeryn was a potential tool for Pilot's vengeful venting. Through all of this, Chricton was the catalyst along with the entity that created the worse possible scenerio that could happen to all of them. If not for the discovery of the recorded Captains fear and message, then all of them would eventually been dead. Good thing that with the help of Kir, Zhaan was able to come up with an antidote. But the last chapter brought it all together as to what Aeryn felt after her little episode of terrorism. She had no ideal that she could be that cruel, and to face her crew mates and especially Pilot was riveting to the core. You captured her emotions to precision and Pilots response was that of a true friend. Only with the egotistical and arrogance of Rygel were they both able to move on see how normalicy brought them back the abyss in which they would have fallen. And with the help of Chricton and friens behind them. Excellent. :D
Pens Insanity chapter 8 . 2/18/2010
oh wow. I just finished reading your story, and apart from teh fact i have to be up in 2hours, and that my eyes are pretty much broken at this stage, I just had to say what a brilliant trip this fic was! Woulda loved more resolvement between J/A but that's cos I'm a pathetic J/A shipper, and honestly I don't think it would have changed the brilliance of your story! Loved evil Pilot. :) But yeh, thanks for writing it..:) I'll have to read it again sometime when it's actually daylight cos I'm sure I missed loadsa things.
darkfinder chapter 4 . 6/16/2006
well that was bad . very weird .
darkfinder chapter 3 . 6/16/2006
well this getting creepy now but real cool .
darkfinder chapter 2 . 6/15/2006
well this is getting bad .
darkfinder chapter 1 . 6/15/2006
then how did it move then .
L Heaton chapter 8 . 2/20/2006
Very, very, very good! Brilliant story idea, fantastically well developed. You built suspense, and the mystery of the story, kept us guessing. Thank you, this was a pleasure to read!

Maybe add a short J/A epilogue, where John tells Aeryn that he loves her? Hey, I'm a very romantic person!
tfm chapter 8 . 2/18/2006
by far the best fan fic I have ever read.
Carly chapter 8 . 9/3/2005
That was absolutely fantastic! A fic of pure genius and insanity. Well done!
Jacqui chapter 8 . 2/9/2004
Just finished reading 'Breaking Point' and oh boy, was it good!
It read like an ep, the plot was plausible to the point of being visual and the characters true. Raised some interesting issues around our hidden dark side...
So, for all the traumas inflicted upon your writing time, hope it was as much as a joy to write as it was to read.
Darkman1 chapter 8 . 8/13/2002
Great job, Jess. The characters are spot on and an evil Pilot is a masterstroke. Take the most innocuous member of the crew and turn them demonic. Lovely idea! Thoroughly enjoyed every part and really appreciate your determination to finish. Can empathize with a story turning into a beast that won't die (**cough** Bounty **cough**). Hope your life is somewhat straighter now and keep up the great work.
60 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »