Reviews for Kit Grows Up
I don't know if this account is still active but this completed my whole childhood. Thank you
noraborealis chapter 14 . 6/15/2021
this was such a great sequel to the kit books! i especially loved how you weaved in the history of the time period. the charlie storyline was extremely well done (and having the telegram about his leg be from James McIntire was very clever). i liked how you depicted kit and stirling rekindling their friendship and letting it grow into something more. the whole "not realizing she loved him until she thought he was dying" was very anne and gilbert from anne of green gables. overall, very well done story!
Guest chapter 14 . 7/8/2019
I seriously need more of this..
Sara K M chapter 4 . 11/22/2018
Hi, I used to read American Girls as a girl, too, although I’ve never read any about Kit. (I admit when I started reading this, the name threw me, because “Kit” makes me think of Kit Tyler from Witch of Blackbird Pond. You should consider reading that if you haven’t already, by the way, if you like historical fiction. It’s about a 16-year-old girl who must live with some Puritan relatives in 1690s, New England. She doesn’t fit in and ends up befriending an old lady who lives there. Unfortunately, she is accused of witchcraft.)
But back to your story. I decided to check it out because it was recommended on “The Dark is Drowsy” and I really love historical fiction. I think you did an excellent job making this story seem “real” for the time period. (From Kit working as a war correspondent, to Charlie’s war injury. You also address the psychology of a young man coming home with no leg, and how it’s so easy for war and death to become “normal” when you’re surrounded by it.)
I like how you address the apparent canon vs. how the characters have changed, too. (Kit always wanted to write in the series; her friendship with one of the family boarders, Sterling, her close bond with her brother, Sterling’s father left to look for work, etc.) But now we have Sterling’s feelings change as an adult; Charlie acts different because he’s come home with no leg; Kit is no longer friends with Ruthie, one of her former best friends, etc. The comparison of how Charlie used “stride up the stairs two at a time” vs. “It took him ten agonizing minutes to reach the top of the stairs,” was particularly moving.
I also like that you write the stereotypical “childhood friends realize they’re in love when they grow up” story. Rather, when Kit and Sterling meet again, Kit is happily engaged to someone else. And after he does, Sterling and Kit eventually find their way back to each other, but it takes time, as it should. Your story is also an excellent way to compare men that fought in WWII (like Roger, who died, Charlie, who was permanently wounded) and men who were unable to fight for medical reasons, so they had to find other reasons to contribute to the war. (Sterling’s “Hitler Chicken” was funny.) I had a grandfather who had to stay home during WWII for medical reasons.
The Madmadam chapter 14 . 4/17/2017
This is lovely! I particularly adore your descriptions of VJ Day. That's a particularly difficult atmosphere to capture, especially for those of us who haven't been there. But you effectively paint this for us as if we were there, and as a WWII fanatic, I appreciate that. Capital job!
Guest chapter 14 . 4/14/2016
OMGOSH I JUST FINISHED READING RHIS AND COUKD NOT STOP SQUEALING! LOVE IT! This is like the only good Kit story out there! SQUEALLLLL
rebecca-in-blue chapter 14 . 2/22/2016
Aww, I really fricking loved this. It looks like they're all in for long, happy futures together. What a perfect ending to a perfect story.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 13 . 2/15/2016
Gah, what a great chapter! When Kit told her mother that "it's not going to happen," I wondered for a minute where this story was going... but before much longer, she's accepting Stirling's proposal! Haha, what a great twist, and certainly one that I didn't see coming. I like how you worked in Ruthie's princess story, too. :)
rebecca-in-blue chapter 12 . 2/11/2016
It's so great to finally see Kit and Stirling together again... and they are just as adorable as ever! I'm practically flailing over here! :)
rebecca-in-blue chapter 11 . 2/2/2016
Wow, what a chapter. You packed so much into it. I loved seeing what Stirling has been up to since we last saw him; your descriptions of his lonely, quietly content bachelor life were very well-done, and the description of his fever were so visceral that I almost felt sore and sweaty right along with him. I just love the scene between him and Ruthie. "I've seen this coming since we were kids" - hahaha, of course she has!
rebecca-in-blue chapter 10 . 1/26/2016
Yes, this chapter is a bit heavy on the exposition, but as always, you write it so smoothly. I loved seeing Ruthie show up, and you handle the slightly more distant interaction between her and Kit so well. Oh, but that last line! I suspect that the feels in the remaining chapters might be too much for me!
rebecca-in-blue chapter 9 . 1/13/2016
Hahaha, Charlie makes such a good relationship counselor here! I'm glad that Kit finally sat down and talked to him about Stirling. I think it well help her a lot to get a guy's perspective on the subject. I'm sure that Stirling didn't mean to come off as "Turkeypants is out of the way," even if it seemed that way to Kit. Maybe some distance will help her realize that.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 8 . 12/22/2015
I love this - it's such a joyous chapter, and even a little silly too, which is just what Kit and Charlie needed! I was starting to wonder where Stirling had gone to in this story, so it's nice to see him show up again. I think that Charlie has a good hunch about why Kit doesn't want to talk about him, and maybe now they'll switch places and Charlie will be the one encouraging her. Cheers to this story!
rebecca-in-blue chapter 7 . 12/9/2015
Oh wow, I just love their conversation here, how it by turns dramatic and sad and sweet. I love the line "the whole country looks like you do" and the different ways that they both had to develop a thicker skin to keep going. You can really sense the war-weariness and grittiness in this chapter, but at the same time, there's also a beautiful hope for a brighter tomorrow. Wonderful work.
rebecca-in-blue chapter 6 . 11/30/2015
Wow, the feels in this chapter. I love how you smoothly you progress from a bonding moment in them coming downstairs together (sad but realistic to see him struggle, but so hopeful that he lets Kit help him), to the grim scene of him slamming down the piano lid, to the lol's at Kit's outfit in the final scene. You handle each scene so impressively, and together they form just the perfect chapter. His mixed use of Squirt and Kit is a nice touch, too. :)